iWork 08

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I like!!!

thoughs people?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Ballmer just told the Mac BU to change the name of office 2008 to 2000 and NEVER.
  • Reply 2 of 143
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Who's going to bother buying Office08 now? Not me!

Screw you MS!
  • Reply 3 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Who's going to bother buying Office08 now? Not me!

Screw you MS!

Buying Office??? who still buys software? I just hope it ships with leopard because it looks really sweet, but I don't want to pay for it
  • Reply 4 of 143
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    i just got my new macbook a few weeks ago along with ilife & a licensed (not demo) iwork.

you think i could qualify for a free upgrade to both?

thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 143
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

i just got my new macbook a few weeks ago along with ilife & a licensed (not demo) iwork.

thanks!

I would say no. Especially since it was a few weeks ago. Apple is usually pretty strict about this.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Who's going to bother buying Office08 now?

Actually, I am.
  • Reply 7 of 143
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm viewing the Numbers demo right now. Intelligent Tables look good.

I think it's time for me to ante up on iWork 08. I'll wait for Leopard however and grab

Leopard/iLife/iwork

..yes I'm Apple's bytch.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I would say no. Especially since it was a few weeks ago. Apple is usually pretty strict about this.

damn! now i have to spend $158??!!!

well, as a consolation, i probably won't have to get Office 2008, so maybe the $79 on iWork08 is justified.

iLife08 - it looks like much more than just eye candy improvements over the current version

hey, BTW, what about educational discounts?
  • Reply 9 of 143
    I liked the update to iWork 08 and have placed my order already, so MS will definitely not be getting my oder whenever they release the next Office. I am finally free of Office!

Keynote added a couple of features I was waiting for (without really knowing it): better shape drawing, action builds, alpha. These will really be useful, and there are other improvements as well.

Numbers. Well, what can I say but: It's about bloody time! It also looks to have done right.

Pages - a few nice tweaks; the contextual menu bar will be helpful, alpha selection and a few others will be nice additions.

Two days and it will be here. Can't wait.
  • Reply 10 of 143
    The education store is back up. Regular price: $79. Education price: $71.

It's been a while, but I think the edu. price for iWork 06 was $49.
  • Reply 11 of 143
    Yup, ordered iWork 08 as well. Byebye neo-office
  • Reply 12 of 143
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylanw23 View Post

The education store is back up. Regular price: $79. Education price: $71.

It's been a while, but I think the edu. price for iWork 06 was $49.

Going out on a limb here... but I think it's due to so many people skirting the system and ordering EDU when they don't qualify.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 143
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

thanks!

Not even if you were Steve's mother....

Apple has never been mistaken for a company that goes out of their way to bestow acts of niceness on their loyal customer base...

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 143
    Quote:

Going out on a limb here... but I think it's due to so many people skirting the system and ordering EDU when they don't qualify.

well, that's sad. but why deny it to those who actually qualify?

Quote:

Not even if you were Steve's mother....

Apple has never been mistaken for a company that goes out of their way to bestow acts of niceness on their loyal customer base...

not really, my previous ibook (g3, 800MHz, 14') had serious logic board issues.... yeah, the infamous crashes! I had 4 replacements because each logic board failed within 1 to 7 months of the change!

call it a f****d up design or just bad karma, but each time Apple replaced it without making any noise.

The last time I had it replaced, the service centre refused saying that it's no longer possible. I just shot off a mail to few random addresses like [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (I got the idea from an Appleinsider thread!!!) and it worked - someone from Apple actually contacted me & had the logic board replaced yet again....

Moral of the story: persistence actually pays!
  • Reply 15 of 143
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Numbers puts Excel to shame. How is it that Apple can produce an amazing spreadsheet app on the first release and MS has garbage on its 20th release?

Sure Excel is still more powerful. It's almost a programming language in some way. It's got macros (aka trojan/virus back door). But that's it's only redeeming quality...and hardly anyone uses this stuff.

Numbers actually offers things most people *will* use. And puts all the most important stuff a single click or drag away.

This is so embarrassing for Microsoft.

Numbers can't open non-XML Excel spreadsheets...too bad. Still though. Numbers is incredible for a 1.0 release. I haven't used it extensively yet...I'm sure I'll find some bugs. But, so far this thing is solid.

As for Keynote...well, it's always been light-years ahead of PowerPoint...the two apps aren't even in the same ballpark.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    I've been using Pages for the last six hours, bringing over Word documents and seeing what Pages could handle. So far, every Word document opened without flaw and with the correct formatting.

In about 30 minutes, I learned Pages' styles system and was on my way to clearing the MS confusing style crumbs out of my documents. I bought iWork when it first came out a few years ago with the desire of replacing the very creaky MS Word, but I came away unimpressed. The original Pages needed a great deal of polish, so I figured I'd come back in a few revisions. I'm happy to say that Pages '08, at this point, looks like it's going to be capable of replacing Word entirely... at least for me... and I write for a living.

The overall UI of Pages has gotten better and easier to use, with my particularly favorite element being the ability to get rid of buttons and palettes that I don't want to see. A few more tweaks and Pages will be, dare I say it, perfect for 95% of the average person's needs.

Now to see if InDesign can import Pages documents without losing formatting...
  • Reply 17 of 143
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Could be but I think they are asking a bit more due to numbers. As many copies of iWork as they have sold, I would think they would be happy for the "skirters".

I have bought every version. Waiting for my 08 version to arrive. For now, am using the trial. So far, I like. Numbers just shows how really lazy MS is. Excel is no doubt powerful. But lord, look at some of the ease and fun Apple has added here. Maybe the dinosaur will wake up a bit but I doubt it.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

Could be but I think they are asking a bit more due to numbers. As many copies of iWork as they have sold, I would think they would be happy for the "skirters".

I have bought every version. Waiting for my 08 version to arrive. For now, am using the trial. So far, I like. Numbers just shows how really lazy MS is. Excel is no doubt powerful. But lord, look at some of the ease and fun Apple has added here. Maybe the dinosaur will wake up a bit but I doubt it.

Just wait until Apple offers iWork on the PC... Microsoft gets a huge chunk of money from office, imagine if Apple could get that money - maybe I will hold on to my stock longer.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

I've been using Pages for the last six hours, bringing over Word documents and seeing what Pages could handle. So far, every Word document opened without flaw and with the correct formatting.

In about 30 minutes, I learned Pages' styles system and was on my way to clearing the MS confusing style crumbs out of my documents. I bought iWork when it first came out a few years ago with the desire of replacing the very creaky MS Word, but I came away unimpressed. The original Pages needed a great deal of polish, so I figured I'd come back in a few revisions. I'm happy to say that Pages '08, at this point, looks like it's going to be capable of replacing Word entirely... at least for me... and I write for a living.

The overall UI of Pages has gotten better and easier to use, with my particularly favorite element being the ability to get rid of buttons and palettes that I don't want to see. A few more tweaks and Pages will be, dare I say it, perfect for 95% of the average person's needs.

Now to see if InDesign can import Pages documents without losing formatting...

Gamrin, that's great news about the import of MS word. Have you tried the opposite direction (Pages to Word)?

Please post back with InDesign results as well.

Thanx.
  • Reply 20 of 143
    That is great news, and a nice review of Pages.

How well does the Instant Alpha work?

I am waiting for my copy to arrive (hasn't shipped yet, don't know why) and would love to be able to take Office off of my machines once and for all.

I've ben looking through the tutorials online and have been pretty impressed. Not only do the apps look great, but they prepared fully for the launch. They even upgraded the Apple Japan site to the modern look.