$8 Dollar Education Price Difference.... Come on!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A whooping $8 dollars separate the education version of iLife and iWork with the normal retail version. What the hell is Apple thinking???

iLife/iWork 07 used to be $39 dollars each (education priced). Now, what is the point of any discount.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    What's the point of a $50 discount on a $1200 computer? They lowered the price to the old Edu Discount price and shaved off a bit more. You should be paying $79 like the last version so, really just get over it. That's a 10% price cut. Adobe and Microsoft make way bigger margins on their stuff, hence they can taunt the fact that their Edu stuff is like 70% off, it's so absurdly overpriced to begin with.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

A whooping $8 dollars separate the education version of iLife and iWork with the normal retail version. What the hell is Apple thinking???

iLife/iWork 07 used to be $39 dollars each (education priced). Now, what is the point of any discount.

this was how it was supposed to work:

1) you buy iLife from the Apple store for $79

2) you also buy the bundled iPizza for $8

you mail in the rebate coupon and Apple reimburses your expenses for the iPizza ($8)

but due to a shortage of pizza bases (the manufacturer in Taiwan couldn't keep up with the sudden surge in demand), Apple decided to do away with the offer and will now just offer an instant $8 rebate.

NOTE 1: why pizza? c'mon, we're still talking education, aren't we?

NOTE 2: you could still purchase some refurb 2G iPizza from the Apple store...

Happy Day!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macserverX View Post

What's the point of a $50 discount on a $1200 computer? They lowered the price to the old Edu Discount price and shaved off a bit more. You should be paying $79 like the last version so, really just get over it. That's a 10% price cut. Adobe and Microsoft make way bigger margins on their stuff, hence they can taunt the fact that their Edu stuff is like 70% off, it's so absurdly overpriced to begin with.

It going to lead to piracy....
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

1. Download the iWork Trial available here

2. Install, then launch one of the iWork apps.

3. Click on BUY at the splash screen, then BUY SERIAL NUMBER on the next screen.

4. Select the option to buy the "Immediate Serial Number" which will unlock the trial to a fully working version. The educational version is $49.

I wonder why the educational version gets a discount for no physical delivery but the consumer version does not?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Get it while you can. I am assuming this is an oversight which will be repaired quickly....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    That only works until you go to check out. Damn!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

By it through your EDU institution instead -- software is almost always cheaper.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

By it through your EDU institution instead -- software is almost always cheaper.

My school offers software dirt cheap. Microsoft Office 2007 Professional, which is a $400 program, is $100 for students. Macbooks are about $150 cheaper, and RAM upgrade is $50 less. Buy it straight from your college, they get discounts.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

My school offers software dirt cheap. Microsoft Office 2007 Professional, which is a $400 program, is $100 for students. Macbooks are about $150 cheaper, and RAM upgrade is $50 less. Buy it straight from your college, they get discounts.

Exactly. I find that you won't save much on hardware buying through the university though (compared to the retailer's EDU prices). It's mostly software where you find the big savings.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macserverX View Post

Adobe and Microsoft make way bigger margins on their stuff, hence they can taunt the fact that their Edu stuff is like 70% off, it's so absurdly overpriced to begin with.

Just like Apple's FInal Cut Pro, Final Cut Express Express, Logic Pro, Shake, etc....
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Get it while you can. I am assuming this is an oversight which will be repaired quickly....

I was right. Its gone.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It does make we worry a little bit that leopard will come out and there'll be an EDU price hike.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

It does make we worry a little bit that leopard will come out and there'll be an EDU price hike.

I wonder the same thing about Leopard. I am also wondering if the education pricing for Apple's pro apps will also change or are they simply screwing over students/teachers/educators over iLife and iWork?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm not sure anyone's really getting screwed. Apple added another great app to the bundle and didn't *raise* the basic retail price (though it probably could've been justified). $71 for the edu version isn't the spanking great deal it was before, but it's more than fair for the quality of this release.