Photos of Apple's new iMac and ultra-thin keyboards

Comments

• Reply 21 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apprehensive View Post

Photos were fine here.

I can't believe the wireless keyboard doesn't have a number pad!! That is a deal killer for me.

Also, it's not very Leopard friendly. No icon for Spaces? Maybe a refresh in Oct.?

To say that the lack of a numeric keypad is a deal killer is like not buying an amazing car because it doesn't have an ashtray.
  • Reply 22 of 182
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Nitpick -- will someone please remove the apostrophe from the word "Photos" in the headline? It's plural, not possesive.

Oh, and teh sexay indeed. I've been using an old G4-era keyboard with my G5 since my son spilled sprite in the one it shipped with, and it's very tempting to grab one of these new keyboards. Wired, that is -- I like the numeric keypad.
  • Reply 23 of 182
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    To borrow a phrase from his Steveness,

One more thing...

They say that black is slimming...

Notice how the 'chin' looks smaller and the 'casing' around the front appears smaller and thinner and yes, it "hides" the black lens of the iSight camera...

for those that have a white iMac, simply get some black, sticky electrical tape, .75" wide, and wrap the tape around the border of the monitor screen and BAM, you'll have a slimmer looking "white" iMac with a smaller 'chin' and get some black spray paint and hose down the back of your iMac
  • Reply 24 of 182
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apprehensive View Post

Perhaps not, but as an accountant who does a TON of spreadsheets and data-entry, a number pad is sorely missed.

And as an accountant, do you regularly sit back, feet up, in your lazyboy lounger bashing away at your spreadsheets with your wireless keyboard on your lap? If so, fair enough, but I would imagine a wired keyboard would be absolutely fine for you.

Here's what I reckon Apple's thinking is:

Wired keyboard - for users who generally have their keyboard on their desk in front of their computer (like me). Full button set, no batteries to change, included USB 2.0 ports for other desk accessories.

Wireless keyboard - for more media-driven users (bedroom computer?) who watch movies on their computer, sit with their feet on their desk, etc. So it is lighter and more portable, easier to put on your lap or hold one handed, wireless, no need for USB ports (you aint gonna carry your gadgets around....), and doesn't have a keypad as such users probably won't use it.

Of course there would porobably be a small minority of users who for whatever reason abolsutely need both a keypad and wireless. If so, there are several other brands of keyboard aren't there?
  • Reply 25 of 182
    This thing is hideous! It look looks like it has a black eye! And no white? WTF? does this mean that they are getting ready to nix the pro series? Or are they going to step backwards and color those manilla again?

The frame makes the screen look smaller. It looks like it's just floating there. And then when leopard comes out with their transparent menu bar and dock, it's going to give people seizures! It looks like somebody put pressure on for something new and Ive panicked.

The person who mentioned a little black dot staring out them, now we have a whole frame that our eyes will just circle around and around.

GRR! I'm frustrated by the two-toned everything! mac=silver and black keyboard=silver and white. What is that!

Sorry, but like I said, I'm having a conniption!
  • Reply 26 of 182
    i would say take the keypad off and save yourself a couple inches. if this is supposed to be portable, the shorter it is, the easier it would be for it to fit into a backpack or computer bag.

i think it makes a much better accessory for laptops than desktops.
  • Reply 27 of 182
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Wireless keyboard - for more media-driven users (bedroom computer?) who watch movies on their computer, sit with their feet on their desk, etc.

And here's what I reckon: this is another sign there's a move afoot towards a big-screen Apple experience...
  • Reply 28 of 182
    Quote:

WTF ?!

Why has the wireless one not an extended keyboard ?

this sucks balls.

I guess good for travelling / using teh upcoming apple TV / mac mini on the couch, but WTfingF - it's not a full functioning keyboard: everytime I enter numbers (phone numbers, account numbers, PAGE NUMBERS, dollars and cents) I use teh number keypad. no floppy drive is one thing, no keypad?? common....
  • Reply 29 of 182
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

To say that the lack of a numeric keypad is a deal killer is like not buying an amazing car because it doesn't have an ashtray.

Love it.
  • Reply 30 of 182
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Feel free to slam me, but that's one crappy looking keyboard. Sorry, two crappy looking keyboards.

And is it just me or does anyone else keep thinking, "Why doesn't the image fill the screen?" every time they see a picture of the new iMac and that big black border around the screen?

Dude, I agree. That is one ugly looking keyboard.

I personally loved the over design of the out-going iMac. The new iMac's are kinda ugly (granted I haven't seen one in the store yet-so my opinion may slightly change-but most likely not).
  • Reply 31 of 182
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88 View Post

This thing is hideous!...GRR! I'm frustrated by the two-toned everything! mac=silver and black keyboard=silver and white. What is that!

Sorry, but like I said, I'm having a conniption!

Yeah, I don't get what happened. I normally LOVE Apple's overall design but this new iMac left me with a weird taste. The silver and white keyboard is a very odd combination; when it leaked about a week ago; I was hoping it was a bad photoshop. Now a week later; we find out that it wasn't a bad dream!
  • Reply 32 of 182
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    What/where is the sleep light. Personally, I think the ugliest thing going for the older white iMac is its rather odd looking sleep light.
  • Reply 33 of 182
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Wired keyboard - for users who generally have their keyboard on their desk in front of their computer (like me). Full button set, no batteries to change, included USB 2.0 ports for other desk accessories.

Wireless keyboard - for more media-driven users (bedroom computer?) who watch movies on their computer, sit with their feet on their desk, etc.

I think you got it exactly right. I use mine in my lap and I'd love to saw off the (#@)*@& keypad so I could center the QWERTY better.
  • Reply 34 of 182
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Yeah, I don't get what happened. I normally LOVE Apple's overall design but this new iMac left me with a weird taste. The silver and white keyboard is a very odd combination; when it leaked about a week ago; I was hoping it was a bad photoshop. Now a week later; we find out that it wasn't a bad dream!

I think what would have made it absolutely stunning is if they got rid of the chin, and it was only the black frame around the screen.
  • Reply 35 of 182
    bobrkbobrk Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And is it just me or does anyone else keep thinking, "Why doesn't the image fill the screen?" every time they see a picture of the new iMac and that big black border around the screen?

I can't speak for everyone, but it doesn't bother me at all. This has been somebody or another's beef with Apple since 1985. Seems like folks would get used to it by now.
  • Reply 36 of 182
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apparatus View Post

Sorry, just my opinion, but I can't get over how ugly the new keyboard is. I just can't imagine it's going to be great for people who do a lot of typing, especially if it feels like the keyboard on the MacBook.

I've used Macs since 1986 and I love my MacBook's keyboard, I find myself typing faster on it then on my tower at work. The keys just feel fluid under my fingers. What don't you like about it?
  • Reply 37 of 182
    I think that Ives felt so bad about the cluttered black, glass, metal iMac, he went ultra minimalist on the wireless keyboard - chopping off the number keys. Why they are white instead of the dark mockups seen in AI..only steve knows

half a white keyboard + half black iMac

=

Racoon Mac.

or in the words of a friend, something "unexpected to the eye and so may cause a moment of puzzle and apprehension"
  • Reply 38 of 182
    smqtsmqt Posts: 28member
    The wireless keyboard, pretty. The wired, rather ugly with that rectangular bar.

And I would really miss the numbers + OTHER keys that are on the extended keyboard.

There's more uses for wireless than sitting back in your chair, and there's more uses for an extended keyboard then calculating.

Anyway, it's probably because after the iPhone they're now reinforcing the non-pro market.

I expect the pro line to be somewhat neglected for the time being...
  • Reply 39 of 182
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Silver and satin black, reminds me of the muscle car days like when you could get a 70 Cuda in silver with a blacked out hood. Bitchin' Man!
  • Reply 40 of 182
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    this might sound crazy but i would not be suprise if apple starts offering new machines with vista install by next year. that reminds me of the ipod when it came out, as soon as it was offered for both platforms sales when crazy. it would have never had the demand if apple kept it to its own,