Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 121 of 433
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Hmm, well it's a huge improvement over the previous iMac incarnation, but still...THE DREADED CHIN!

Glass over the LCD a big +, very surprised nobody's done this before, will be a big help keeping the kid's fingers from poking the LCD.

I'm not sold on the keyboard. Yeah, it's dead sexy, but what's it going to be like typing on it all day? Doesn't look ergonomic to me. I'll reserve my vote until I get down to the Apple store and try it out.
  • Reply 122 of 433
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What type of display do those iMacs have?

6 bit still?

dont know about the 17 or 24 ones but the 20 inch had a 24 bit (8 bit X 3) display on it.
  • Reply 123 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

Just bought the following:

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB

Accessory kit

Built-in Display \

320GB Serial ATA Drive

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

Not crazy about the 3-5 weeks for shipping though.

I noticed that if you configure it without the wireless keyboard, it notes a shipping time of 3-5 days. If you add the wireless keyboard, it boosts it up to 3-5 weeks. Since you loose the standard keyboard if you choose the wireless keyboard during configuration, it would make more sense to order the standard keyboard, get the computer in 3-5 days, and then order a wireless keyboard as an additional purchase. That way you get both keyboards, don't have to wait for the computer, and the difference in price is worth it.
  • Reply 124 of 433
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I was spoiled by the jewel that was my B&W G3. The "replacements" are either too expensive (Mac pro) or underpowered (iMac) and haven't quite matched its level of innovation or ease of upgrade. I keep hoping they'll make a modern day version with a P35 board and Core 2 Duo/Quad CPUs. Then again, I've also hoped they would get over Steve's biases and just buy Elgato.

Holy 'Yosemite!'. The G3/400 was introduced in 1999 with up to 128 MB RAM and a 12 GB drive for $2999 and you have the nerve to make such a statement. You have to be kidding.

If you haven't gotten married yet, I would suggest that you don't buy your fiance a ring without her being there.
  • Reply 125 of 433
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Feel like the new design of the iMac is a bit like what happened with BMW a few years back when they re-designed the new 5 series. A misstep. I don't like the black border and the whole thing has a slightly "cheap" feel to it. I would have prefered a black back and all brushed aluminum surface. The front now feels like some of those early cheap widescreen TVs made by Sony.

Ahum. One word in defence of Chris Bangle. The new BMW 5 series IS an instant classic. Unlike its predecessor. Bangle is adding alotof bang in the otherwise boring boyish automotive industry. Just look at the Porsche and Ferrari horror! Talking about Porsche, their whole interior concept is a total disaster: the main screen is located at almost floor level while a silly clock is on the eye level Imagine how many miles your sportscar has travelled while looking at your screen for a few seconds i/o the road …

Repeat after me (10 times): "The new iMac has a black back …"

… and it has an aluminum helmet. Another great feat by Ive & his team. The computer is finally becoming a piece of furniture, ready to merge into the living room. Now, if they only replace the white remote by an aluminum nanoesque remote with click wheel.
  • Reply 126 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    I think the new iMac is a part of an overall unification of Apple's design elements, from hardware to software. Apple's new website, Safari, and iPhone all feature aluminum and black. The design criticism may be that in trying to incorporate common elements from other products, the iMac looses a little bit of its own identity. Also lost seems to be a note of whimsy. The iMac has always been a slightly whimsical, witty computer, and this one seems serious and 'cool,' not frothy in the slightest.

It's hard to judge without seeing it first hand.

Also, they were probably thinking of the floating black picture frame of the iMac as a way to feature the colorful three dimensional world of Leopard.
  • Reply 127 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Holy 'Yosemite!'. The G3/400 was introduced in 1999 with up to 128 MB RAM and a 12 GB drive for $2999 and you have the nerve to make such a statement. You have to be kidding.

If you haven't gotten married yet, I would suggest that you don't buy your fiance a ring without her being there.

Funny, I paid $1799.
  • Reply 128 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme ???

-----------------------------------

Intel site lists 2.6 Ghz, is it a typo or overclocking from 2.6Ghz?

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor2 June '07 (6/3)July '07 (7/22)% Decrease

Mobile (FCPGA6)

X7800 (4M L2 cache 2.60 GHz 800 MHz FSB 65nm) - $851 -

from the CPU price list

seems this time, apple site got lots of problem, many times down and typo as well,

steve said 20" 20 " 24" config, website came with 20" 20" 24" 24" configs
  • Reply 129 of 433
    For me the new iMac is kind of disappointing, particularly from an industrial design standpoint. I was hoping to lose the chin or at least see it shrink in a very noticeable fashion, or in lieu of that change, a design that allowed the vertical position of the monitor to be adjusted (as on many flatscreen monitors now offered by competitors).

In photographs I don't think it looks all that good, in fact I'd say I strongly prefer the look of the outgoing model. I "get" the iPhone reference in the design but I don't think it's really working here, primarily because of the silver chin.

Finally I'm especially disappointed in the glossy screen as the inherent reflections are distracting and irritating to me. I especially do not like a glossy black border around a display.

That said, I'm glad many here seem to dig the new look and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new iMacs. When I get a chance to see one in person I'll be prepared to be pleasantly surprised, despite my many reservations. I do think the new keyboards look great, though I'm befuddled as to why one should have to give up the number pad in order to have bluetooth functionality. (Given that my current bluetooth Apple keyboard has a number pad which is pretty much a necessary tool for some of my applications.)
  • Reply 130 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Could it be that the glossy/glass screens are being implemented now for a future multi-touch upgrade?

From the discussion with reporters after the presentation:

Quote:

Will the iPhone?s ?multitouch? features filter down to the Mac eventually? Jobs said that it doesn?t make a lot of sense in the Mac. ?I would classify that as a research project at present,? he added.

• Reply 131 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

built to order does not equal ship with or are you gonna tell me the mac pros ship with 16gb of ram?

They will, in 2012.
  • Reply 132 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme ???

-----------------------------------

Intel site lists 2.6 Ghz, is it a typo or overclocking from 2.6Ghz?

Intel® Core? 2 Extreme processor2 June '07 (6/3)July '07 (7/22)% Decrease

Mobile (FCPGA6)

X7800 (4M L2 cache 2.60 GHz 800 MHz FSB 65nm) - $851 -

from the CPU price list

seems this time, apple site got lots of problem, many times down and typo as well,

steve said 20" 20 " 24" config, website came with 20" 20" 24" 24" configs

It's the X7900
  • Reply 133 of 433
    Quote:

Finally I'm especially disappointed in the glossy screen as the inherent reflections are distracting and irritating to me. I especially do not like a glossy black border around a display.

Once Again. I'm reiterating. The display is glossy because it's glass! Not like the Macbook glossy screens that you can't put stuff on without risking damage. It's glass, which can be easily cleaned, and easily made non-glossy (if you want to.
  • Reply 134 of 433
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    I'm now seriously considering getting this instead of a Mac Pro. (I don't really need the expansion. And I don't play games.) Poor thing will end up booting into Windows by default to keep my sister happy, though. (It's replacing both a G5 desktop and an old Dell desktop.)

2.8GHz/4GB/1TB 24" - $3104 (developer pricing) - 3-5 weeks

(Need to think on this a bit more and discuss it with said sister.)
  • Reply 135 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

It's the X7900

i do not see it in intel cpu list or cpu price list, am i missing something?

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...0716corp_a.htm

this is last mobile CPU update rite?
  • Reply 136 of 433
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Funny, I paid $1799.

So you went for the G3/300 at $1,599; 64 MB, VRAM: 16 MB

Video: ATI Rage 128 on 66 MHz bus.

For a $100 more, perhaps a modem, doubt it would be the optional 12 GB drive, 128 RAM, DVD, DVD-RAM, internal Zip drive or a CRT. But then you may have bought it yesterday.

Sad, either way.
  • Reply 137 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

But that was not the point of this discussion, the point was that someone said that you need to have a wired keyboard in order to set up a wireless keyboard. That is not true as some Apple computers ship without any keyboard and you can just buy a wireless one and it works out of the box. Part of the process of setting up your new mac is pairing the keyboard and mouse, you do nt need to have a wired keyboard already in place.

i'm sorry! i thought the original poster wanted to know if that was a mistake on the people who wrote a wired keyboard is required when he wrote this:

Quote:

I find it quite curious how the system requirements stated for the wireless is that I will need an existing keyboard for setup. That has to be a mistake.

which is not a mistake because the old ones had that too... when i bought my wireless keyboard and mouse they had that written in the requirements.
  • Reply 138 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

i do not see it in intel cpu list or cpu price list, am i missing something?

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...0716corp_a.htm

this is last mobile CPU update rite?

Like the 3.0ghz Quad core Xeon X5365 in the Mac Pro, Apple is getting the X7900 while its still in limited production.
  • Reply 139 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So you went for the G3/300 at $1,599; 64 MB, VRAM: 16 MB

Video: ATI Rage 128 on 66 MHz bus.

For a $100 more, perhaps a modem, doubt it would be the optional 12 GB drive, 128 RAM, DVD, DVD-RAM, internal Zip drive or a CRT. But then you may have bought it yesterday.

Sad, either way.

Actually, I got the 350ghz model with the DVD-ROM a couple of months after it came out. You might laugh at the specs now, but it was head and shoulders above everything else in its day, especially with the side mounted easy access motherboard.
  • Reply 140 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What type of display do those iMacs have?

6 bit still?

I thought it was just the notebooks that had 6 bit displays.