Photos of Apple's new iMac and ultra-thin keyboards

Comments

• Reply 41 of 182
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    THE BAD

Jonathan Ive has clearly missed the mark with the latest iMacs. "Hides the iSight" is rotten excuse to justify that ugly black bezel around the screen -- and to think Apple is renown for its "beauty" in industrial design! What happened here?

The jury is still out on that keyboard too. While smaller is better, I'm not really one for body-slammed keys, regardless of how "great" some people say they feel when pressed. Indeed. most of those same people are or were PowerBook owners and have gotten accustomed to portable keyboards. I doubt those of us with a love for full sized desktop keyboards could come to love this. Even so, I don't consider the keyboard to be as bad as that black bezel! However, white keys are bad. I've got a white-key iMac here in the office and it looks black now. And we wash our hands. Shame on Apple for putting beauty above practicality. But in my opinion, black keys wouldn't look that bad, and they wouldn't show dirty that well either! Get sensible, Ive!

Gotta love those glossy screen REFLECTIONS! Thanks, AppleInsider for shooting photos of that for us. It's the perfect example of why NOT to get a glossy screen. But more than just that, Apple clearly designed the new iMacs as a money-grab. For no sensible graphics person will go for a glossy screen. Reflections are bad enough, but now your colors will be so saturated it's impossible to calibrate or get accurate color! The only option for a non-glossy screen is the Mac Pro and its outrageous profit margins for Apple! Money-grab, plain and simple.

The so-called "New" design is largely unchanged from the old iMac design. I'm talking about body form factor here, not materials. There's still a wide bezel around the screen and there's a fat tummy at the bottom. I thought Apple would get rid of that once and for all, but they still insist on throwing it in our faces. Indeed, this is yet another "money grab" in that this "new" change is much cheaper to implement on the manufacturing side than a major change (like the iPod mockup we've all seen around the web).

Can no longer swap out the video card on the high end model as you could on the previous 24" iMac.

No LED backlighting. This is a MAJOR, major omission. Did I say "major"? Major!

No option for a second internal hard drive inside the spaceous 24" model. Why need another? Because of OS 10.5 and its new backup software. Sure, you can add an external. But the beauty of these "compact" machines will be lost when adding a mess of external peripherals. But a secondary backup drive INSIDE for goodness sakes! Yes, I know you can do that with a Mac Pro. But we are talking about iMacs here. Yes, even poor people who can only afford an iMac (or rich people who simple want the compact size and beauty of it) could still stand to benefit from a secondary internal hard drive.

You're gonna have to pay extra for OS 10.5 when it comes out, because these new iMacs currently don't ship with it! The solution to this one is easy though. Just wait a few months more until it does come out and buy your iMac at that time.

THE GOOD

Pretty much everything else that I didn't harp on above. And clearly, you can see that I don't care about the lack of a keypad on the wireless keyboard like some. Who cares. Everyone knows a wired keyboard and mouse are more reliable than wireless, and you don't have to swap batteries every couple months either. The 2.8GHz processor on the high end model is superb. Great video card too, even if it's not swappable.
  • Reply 42 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plus View Post

So ... sorry all you folks who do numeric data entry ... you'll just have to stick with your aircraft-carrier-style keyboards, numeric keypad and all. But for the *rest* of us, this new keyboard looks great!

I'm less thrilled at the undersized arrow keys, but I certainly won't miss the number pad.
  • Reply 43 of 182
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    oops.
  • Reply 44 of 182
    Only two things jump at me;

Black iMac/white keyboard. I don't mind the two tone (Aluminium & ?), I just wish the colour was consistent.

Secondly, I've never understood why one would create a wireless keyboard for media centre use (or similar) and not include a track pad. I get the lack of keypad if your using it in the living room or bedroom, but I don't find it natural to use a mouse on the sofa, or in bed for that matter. Looks like I'll have to find a non-Apple version.
  • Reply 45 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Why they are white instead of the dark mockups seen in AI..only steve knows

Because black keyboards are much harder to read, maybe? Both for people with poor eyesight and under less-than-ideal lighting conditions. C'mon. This isn't rocket science. The surprising thing is that any black keyboards have managed to survive in Apple's lineup.
  • Reply 46 of 182
    kevdokevdo Posts: 9member
    What's that icon on the F4 key?

Let's have a brief moment of silence for the Apple key...

Okay, good riddance. Maybe someone in the world will know what the Command Key actually is. It's only taken Apple 23 years...

I'd have to play with the keyboard to know for sure how I'd like it. The wireless keyboard looks nice to me.

I can't say I'm impressed by the look of the iMac, at least from the photos. I definitely expected a much smaller chin, and the black around the monitor looks strange. I know I'm definitely not a fan of the glossy screens. Can you say Build to Order Option, Apple?
  • Reply 47 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

Jonathan Ive has clearly missed the mark with the latest iMacs. "Hides the iSight" is rotten excuse to justify that ugly black bezel around the screen -- and to think Apple is renown for its "beauty" in industrial design! What happened here?

Whilst I really dislike the concept of AIO desktop computers (why make design compromises if your computer isn't actually going to be portable?), I rather like the design aesthetic of the new iMac. I think it looks smarter, sharper than the previous incarnation.

Quote:

However, white keys are bad.

This is odd. I don't quite understand it. The iMac itself is all aluminium and black, and they go and make the keyboard aluminium and... white huh? I don't get it.

Quote:

Gotta love those glossy screen REFLECTIONS!

The average consumer seems to love glossy displays, the iMac is aimed at the average consumer, so it gets glossy displays.

Quote:

a fat tummy at the bottom. I thought Apple would get rid of that once and for all, but they still insist on throwing it in our faces.

Damn those internal components that change an iMac from an empty shell into a computer!

Quote:

Indeed, this is yet another "money grab" in that this "new" change is much cheaper to implement on the manufacturing side

Plastic -> aluminium, doubtless all internal and external dimensions changed; trust me, this is a major change on the manufacturing side.

Quote:

No LED backlighting. This is a MAJOR, major omission. Did I say "major"? Major!

Apple can't give you what doesn't exist. Apple are restricted by the available LCD panels at the correct price points.
  • Reply 48 of 182
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"Silver" & Black, the new iMac is in iPhone colors, well sorta.

The Raidizz colors
  • Reply 49 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

Because black keyboards are much harder to read, maybe? Both for people with poor eyesight and under less-than-ideal lighting conditions. C'mon. This isn't rocket science. The surprising thing is that any black keyboards have managed to survive in Apple's lineup.

Simple solution: make it backlit.
  • Reply 50 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Simple solution: make it backlit.

Been there, done that. Made it worse.
  • Reply 51 of 182
    I'd love to go with the wireless keyboard. But it seems to take 3-5 weeks just to ship it.

I guess I'll have to buy one later on. I'm not waiting that long for the iMac.
  • Reply 52 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

Been there, done that. Made it worse.

• Reply 53 of 182
    These "NEW" Apple keyboards harken me back to the "Chiclet" keyboards on the

old Timex Sinclairs from the 80's, okay now I feel old Sigh, anyway if typing on

them feels anything like those i foresee many 3rd party keyboards being sold.

• Reply 54 of 182
    Is it just me or is the guy (black shirt, arms crossed) in the 5th Photo down the guy from the iLife '08 Video???
  • Reply 55 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregconnors View Post

Secondly, I've never understood why one would create a wireless keyboard for media centre use (or similar) and not include a track pad.

Ditto. The only bluetooth keyboard with integreted trackpad that I'm aware of is the Logitech diNovo Edge which is bloody expensive.
  • Reply 56 of 182
    billhbillh Posts: 19member
    The ultra slim keyboard is starting to get really close to decent anthropometrics at standard desk heights. No small issue for reducing carpal tunnel syndrome. I think the new aesthetic is nice...not earth shaking but nice. Ordered a 20" myself. Upon further review (compared to anybody else in this business) maybe it is earth shaking.
  • Reply 57 of 182
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I'll miss the dedicated function keys for when I have to use Parallels! It's one thing that pisses the hell out of me on my MBP-- <alt><f4> seems to be a pretty common key combination in Windows, but it takes lifting a hand into a very awkward position to make it work.

But it is a pretty svelt item. I understand the compromises, but many of them don't make it an attractive product for my needs.
  • Reply 58 of 182
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I was wondering what happened to the usb ports on the sides f the keyboards? I use those everyday. That's how I update my iPhone, and load my pictures into iPhoto.
  • Reply 59 of 182
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I don't like the black Apple logo on the front of the new iMac. It should have been brushed metal like the ones on the cinema displays.
  • Reply 60 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Basically, that only helps if your backlight is really strong. In anything twilight-to-normal lighting levels, a normal backlight causes the keys to look grey instead of white. So instead of white on black, you get flat grey on black.