Apple updates Mac mini and AirPort, adds Mac Pro RAID card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Without fanfare, Apple Inc. on Tuesday unleashed a stealth refresh to its Mac mini desktop computer, upgraded its high-end Wi-Fi base station, and added a brand new RAID card option to its pro towers.

While AppleInsider remains confident that Apple ultimately intends to phase out the diminutive Mac, the Cupertino-based firm quietly updated existing models with faster processors on Tuesday.

Although Apple made no mention of the update during its media event or in the ensuing press releases, Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook confirmed the slight refresh during a Q&A session following the company's announcements. The subtle update to the Mac mini is the first in nearly a year.

The 2-inch tall systems are the last to receive a boost to Core 2 Duo processors, moving up from 1.66GHz and 1.83GHz Core Duo processors to 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz chips with a 667MHz system bus, similar to current MacBooks.

Memory and storage have also been upgraded, Apple says. Every model ships with 1GB of RAM, while hard disk space climbs from 60GB to 80GB on the base 1.83GHz model and from 80GB to 120GB for the 2.0GHz computer.

Both systems keep the same $599 (1.83GHz) and $799 (2.0GHz) price points as earlier systems, and are immediately available.

Two peripherals also reached the Apple Store on Tuesday without a separate announcement.

AirPort Extreme revision

The AirPort Extreme Base Station introduced in January now adds gigabit Ethernet without a price hike ($179).

PCI Express RAID card

Meanwhile, Mac Pro buyers can now also outfit their systems with a PCI Express RAID card that provides hardware acceleration for mirrored or striped disk arrays and enables new RAID 0+1 and 5 modes with both mirroring and striping. Previously, the Mac Pro depended on software RAID and was limited to either mirroring or striping alone.

The card adds $999 to the cost of a Mac Pro and, as of Tuesday, isn't available separately for existing Mac Pro users searching for an upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Updates to Airport Extreme are always welcome. Is this without an "unlock" pittance attached?
  • Reply 2 of 60
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Now if Apple would just add the AppleTV 1.0 ports and software to it I could run EyeTV on it and get rid of my Tivo.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The AirPort Extreme Base Station introduced in January now adds gigabit Ethernet without a price hike ($179).

If only this upgrade had occurred about three weeks ago when I had to replace my dead Netgear Gigabit Wireless N router. I bought an AirPort Extreme to replace it. (Too many reports on the Netgear forums about this router failing exactly as mine did after about 3 to 4 months.)

Ah well...
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Quote:

While AppleInsider remains confident that Apple ultimately intends to phase out the diminutive Mac, the Cupertino-based firm quietly updated existing models with faster processors on Tuesday.

Personally I hope the mac mini stays around for a long while. Sure it could use a better update than what it got, but I personally love my mac mini. It's an AppleTV + DVR (when using EyeTV) + a fully functional computer.

And why must you continue to persist with your idea that the mac mini will be phased out, when you've clearly been proven wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    From the point of wanting to keep the product line-up as simple and easy to understand as their products themselves, it might make sense to merge the AppleTV and the Mac mini at some point.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

And why must you continue to persist with your idea that the mac mini will be phased out, when you've clearly been proven wrong?

Proven wrong? Far from it. All Apple have done is put in a pin-compatible CPU with slightly higher clock speed. That equals no engineering effort, meaning Apple haven't done any work on it for a very long time now. The mini smells more and more like a product that's on the way out.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    I would actually like to see a Mini that is smaller, perhaps without a built in optical drive, that always runs Front Row 2.0 or in the background, and that approaches the price of the Apple TV. perhaps they can discontinue the Apple TV then. Of course with a minor update to the graphics chip and its faster processor, it should be able to do 720 and 1080 HD material. a DVD drive with a 3.5" HDD bay could be offered as an accessory, either stackable or placed side by side in a living room system.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

I would actually like to see a Mini that is smaller, perhaps without a built in optical drive, that always runs Front Row 2.0 or in the background, and that approaches the price of the Apple TV.

Er... That is the AppleTV
  • Reply 9 of 60
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Proven wrong? Far from it. All Apple have done is put in a pin-compatible CPU with slightly higher clock speed. That equals no engineering effort, meaning Apple haven't done any work on it for a very long time now. The mini smells more and more like a product that's on the way out.

Well, while I would have liked a Santa Rosa update the MB needs it just as much.

If the mini is to get a true rev I would expect after the MB rev since the MB is a much more important machine.

Dissapointing but better than a cancellation. And yes, AI was proven wrong. They reported the impending doom of the Mini on May 24:

Quote:

Therefore, it comes as little surprise that sources, for whom AppleInsider holds the utmost respect, are now pointing towards the mini's impending demise. For it's according to those people that the miniature Mac will soon follow in the wake of its similarly-proportioned counterparts of years past: the PowerBook 2400, the PowerMac G4 Cube, and, most recently, the 12-inch PowerBook.

It's August. They just did a refresh. There could be a variety of reasons they waited until now. Perhaps they had an exceptional deal on Yonahs from Intel that finally ran dry.

Either way a Mini cancellation sometime in 2008 does not satisfy "impending doom" or "soon follow" adjectives. The book sure as hell hasn't closed yet.

Vinea
  • Reply 10 of 60
    arrozarroz Posts: 2member
    Hi!

Just to let know that Apple also introduced a (non-PCI) RAID option for the xServe. Price is the same as the one for Mac Pro.

Yours

Miguel Arroz
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Either way a Mini cancellation sometime in 2008 does not satisfy "impending doom" or "soon follow" adjectives. The book sure as hell hasn't closed yet.

Well, we're into semantics now. The end of the AI article did say:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Whether Apple will squeeze another revision from the mini, and how long it plans to allow existing models to linger, are both unclear.

Which I agree does somewhat contradict "impending doom".

However, I still don't think they've been proven wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

About time. I really don't understand why the first one didn't have it.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    The lack of gigabit ethernet was my main gripe, glad they finally listened to all the complaints about it. I bought the first version after it came out. Now I will have to sell mine at a loss (which sucks), so I can buy the new one the way it should have been configured.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I bought an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station on July 31st from the Apple EDU store. Will Apple exchange it for me without charging a restocking fee? I'm on the phone now but it looks like it's going to be a long wait.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Well, we're into semantics now. The end of the AI article did say:

If I say in bold type that you're going to die soon and you're still alive 3 months later I'm wrong even if I caveat it with "well, you might linger on too" later on. Because the caveat is clearly just CYA.

Quote:

However, I still don't think they've been proven wrong.

Well they sure are acting defensive about it.

Quote:

Although Apple made no mention of the update during its media event or in the ensuing press releases, Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook confirmed the slight refresh during a Q&A session following the company's announcements. The subtle update to the Mac mini is the first in nearly a year.

Lets see...the last update was a bump from core solo to core duo and a speed bump. The product was only launched Feb, 2006. This is a processor change and speed bump. Two minor revs in a year and a half.

It's their low end machine designed for low(er) cost of entry and upsell to the iMac or laptops. How much effort should anyone expect Apple to sink into the Mini? Its a 2" brick...its not like a redesign is going to improve it much.

Sure, Santa Rosa and 802.11N would have been nice. /shrug Maybe later, maybe never but AI was dead wrong about the timing.

Vinea
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

If I say in bold type that you're going to die soon

Oh man, how bad are you going to feel if I get crushed by a falling rhinoceros tomorrow?
  • Reply 17 of 60
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Oh man, how bad are you going to feel if I get crushed by a falling rhinoceros tomorrow?

Let us know, won't you? That will keep me up nights!
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Now if Apple would just add the AppleTV 1.0 ports and software to it I could run EyeTV on it and get rid of my Tivo.

If Apple would just buy ElGato and put all their functionality into the mini, we could just get rid of AppleTV.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

I would actually like to see a Mini that is smaller, perhaps without a built in optical drive, that always runs Front Row 2.0 or in the background, and that approaches the price of the Apple TV. perhaps they can discontinue the Apple TV then. Of course with a minor update to the graphics chip and its faster processor, it should be able to do 720 and 1080 HD material. a DVD drive with a 3.5" HDD bay could be offered as an accessory, either stackable or placed side by side in a living room system.

Exactly what do you do with regards to OS upgrades or large software installs? Leaving out the optical drive doesn't make any sense for a non-mobile machine unless it's a not going to be used as a computer. Even for a mobile computer it doesn't make sense yet to drop the optical drive.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

If Apple would just buy ElGato and put all their functionality into the mini, we could just get rid of AppleTV.

Yes, apple should go on a mad buying spree until they control the world