Apple's iLife '08 adds major new version of iPhoto and iMovie

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I think this new iMovie could be terrible. They're emphasizing simplicity and speed, but where is the control? Can you edit frame-by-frame, and cut exactly where you want (to 1/30 of a second)? It doesn't look like it. I'm afraid it's going to be so dumbed-down, that a lot of us are going to have to stay with iMovie '06 until it doesn't work anymore, or buy Final Cut.

iMovie '06 has been good - I can do everything I need to do to make instructional videos exactly like I want them. Adjust audio levels within a clip, and especially edit at exact points - remove one frame if necessary. I don't see that in this new version.

iDVD, on the other hand, needs some improvements from the '06 version - mainly more control over menus. I doubt we'll get anything there.

I'm pretty disappointed right now. I guess when I buy a new iMac I can try to load in iMovie '06 and see how that might work (with Leopard?).

Hey negative nancy - you really oughta try the product before making wild speculative claims about it...

I have the new iMovie on front of me right now, and I can assure you, you won't likely be looking to downgrade. You can edit and trim frame by frame, and have lots of control - more than before. There really doesn't seem to be any functionality missing.

As a matter of fact, the frame accurate editing seems to be much easier to use, and way smoother than before. I really really like this....
  • Reply 22 of 85
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drogers View Post

Hey negative nancy - you really oughta try the product before making wild speculative claims about it...

I have the new iMovie on front of me right now, and I can assure you, you won't likely be looking to downgrade. You can edit and trim frame by frame, and have lots of control - more than before. There really doesn't seem to be any functionality missing.

As a matter of fact, the frame accurate editing seems to be much easier to use, and way smoother than before. I really really like this....

Could you elaborate a little? How is frame accurate editing implemented? By scrubbing along a clip and watching the time-out? Is there some kind of timeline hidden in the menus? Because there is no toggle button in the area it used to be.

Also, how is changing audio level handled? Without a timeline, I'm not seeing how it would be convenient or even possible to do detailed level changes.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Wow this stuff all looks awesome, especially magic garageband :-). Can't wait to try the new iPhoto and iMovie!
  • Reply 24 of 85
    OK, I've watched most of the iMovie tutorial videos on the Apple site, and I have to say, while some of the interface is terrific, they've made it unusable for a lot of the people that use it.

There doesn't appear to be anyway to adjust a sound clip beyond louder of softer for the whole clip. This is a huge reduction in functionality, and actually sort of insane.

As is making the only control over the relative volume of tracks a button that says "reduce volume of other tracks".

At least the phrasing of that implies you can do more than one track (beyond the sound recorded with the video) at a time, because watching how things are layed out it kind of looks like you can't.

Everything is "drag the sound onto the clip and watch were you want it start, then drop it. If you want to adjust the volume, move the slider left or right."

And, no, there isn't frame accurate info in the clip scrub, time gets displayed in tenths of a second.

This is looking sort of like the price and capacity delta between the iMac and the Pro-- to get even a modicum of control over even simple video projects, I have to step up to FCP. iMovie has been dumbed down to the point of crippling it compared to its previous capabilities (although I realize that it will work just fine for many people).

Really, the more I look at this, the more it pisses me off. Why not leave timeline stuff in there for people who want it, and hide it in a drop down menu, if it is deemed confusing to the average user?
  • Reply 25 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Wow this stuff all looks awesome, especially magic garageband :-). Can't wait to try the new iPhoto and iMovie!

New iPhoto, meh. New iMovie, wowzer!!
  • Reply 26 of 85
    I ordered my new Mac 3 weeks ago. It finally arrives last friday (ie 3 days ago) and NOW they update iWork (which I had preinstalled) and iLife (which comes with the new Mac). Grrrrrrrrr.......

I wouldn't care if the new apps didn't look so nice......
  • Reply 27 of 85
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It looks like the timeline icon is still there, the last on the right of the middle icons. Maybe they just didn't demo it because it didn't change (hopefully).
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It looks like the timeline icon is still there, the last on the right of the middle icons. Maybe they just didn't demo it because it didn't change (hopefully).

OK, I hadn't noticed that, although I can't tell for sure if that is actually a little clock.

If it is, and timeline with sound edit functionality is still there, I will happily declare myself an idiot for shooting off my mouth without all the info and eagerly await our new UI overlords. That would actually be what I would have expected and what seems reasonable: super easy mode for the default UI with slightly more complicated mode available in a menu or button.

Seriously, if there is still basic timeline functions with draggable sound levels and multi-track, plus all the new goodies, I will declare iMovie teh win.

Anybody know if the new software is running on machines at the Apple retail stores yet?
  • Reply 29 of 85
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope what is being demoed is just a bunch of new functionality added to "clip mode."

[edit] No, it looks like you were right addabox. Editing is more limited on this compared to the last.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    it's worth noting that you'll need a G5 dual-proc or better to run the new imovie. at least according to the specs on the box. I was going to pick up iLife 08 this afternoon, but I decided against seeing as how my dual-proc G4 1.25 powermac won't keep pace. Other ilife programs don't require such advanced hardware, however.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I know... look at this...

Quote:

# iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

Doesn't this mean that iMovie officially requires around double the Mac of say... Final Cut Pro?!?!?!

Hmmm.... yep.

Quote:

Minimum Requirements to Install All Final Cut Studio Applications

* A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor

That is insane...

Nick
  • Reply 32 of 85
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Oh....my.... God.... Magic Garageband is Microsoft Bob for music!
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtx View Post

it's worth noting that you'll need a G5 dual-proc or better to run the new imovie. at least according to the specs on the box. I was going to pick up iLife 08 this afternoon, but I decided against seeing as how my dual-proc G4 1.25 powermac won't keep pace. Other ilife programs don't require such advanced hardware, however.

On Apple's website it does say the following:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor.

iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster),

or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

I have added bold text to highlight the iMac part

\
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OK, I hadn't noticed that, although I can't tell for sure if that is actually a little clock.

here's a picture of it. i'll check tomorrow as my brother just picked it up today and installed it but he's at work tonight.

• Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

On Apple's website it does say the following:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor.

iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster),

or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

I have added bold text to highlight the iMac part

\

So my Powermac G5 with 1.8Ghz single processor isn't fast enough to run the new iMovie, yet a 1.9Ghz iMac G5 can? What the hell? I was so happy to see them releasing this iLife until I read this...why would they make this part of the iLife so demanding, yet the others okay. I guess I won't be getting it now. Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    good...now we can get on with the real news and get ready for Logic 8.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i know you get this with new macs, but will imovie, iphoto be upgraded with leopard. i'm buying leopard but don't want to pay twice.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not positive, but it looks like iMovie has completely done away with any kind of time line, in favor of clip based editing.

Not sure how I feel about that, a lot of the improvements look great, but.....

I'm with you there. The mac store won't have new imacs with new ilife installed for consumer play until Thursday But seeing the demos it looks almost harder to do imovie stuff. Cant' see a timeline, can't see how to edit specific clips. (very FCExpress like now thought...) They're probably still there - just not sure how easy it will be to use.

Curious about the 'see all your available movie clips'. Am I supposed to be putting my vid files in one place??? I've been dumping them into iphoto because I'm too lazy to do anything else. I suppose it would be nice just to see clips, and not to have to waste space by copying them from <wherever> into the imovie project...

Just surprised to see that much of an interface change
  • Reply 39 of 85
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    The new iMovie doesn't open previous projects completely: all effects and transitions, and sound effects, are lost. It may be necessary to run version 6 and 8 together for a while; until Leopard breaks the former.

And there is no timeline. See the mini review at xlr8yourmac.com

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

The new iMovie doesn't open previous projects completely: all effects and transitions, and sound effects, are lost. It may be necessary to run version 6 and 8 together for a while; until Leopard breaks the former.

Yah, been checking out a lot of forums this morning. Seems the best quote was 'imovie is a new application'. Most of your editing power is now gone. It's more of a 'string things together and call it a movie' program. Not sure if this is good or bad form Apples point of view. That story of the engineer on vacation who wanted to make a movie in half an hour. Not sure why he couldn't do it in existing imovie. BUt it smells like the old "hey, we're making people THINK' let's put a stop to that. :-)

Anyone who wants to do something series will need to get FCXpress