Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 221 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Glossy? Who wants light glare on a screen? Why on earth would this be a good feature? I have to start thinking about the Mini now that it has 1 Gb RAM and the better chip. Add a 17 inch LCD and Im set. Crappy graphics but it cant be worse than the G4 ibook Im using. Or can it?

Strange though it may be, I would suspect that a majority of people prefer glossy screens.

They are very popular in the PC world, and the MB sales certainly haven't been hurt by it.

I can't imagine that Apple would use it for a premier product if they hadn't done the product research that showed that most people would prefer it.

Why don't you check it out first?
  • Reply 222 of 433
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    Anyone know where I can find that amazing picture of Angelina Jolie in various resolutions?
  • Reply 223 of 433
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Coolness has nothing to do with it, though it seems nice to think so.

It's all about the money.

Think about it. Several years ago you NEVER saw a brand name, unless it was something like a car, which was too obvious to conceal. And even then the auto makers paid for that.

It's become very prevalent today, with every brand you see having been paid for.

It's in response to the backlash against the continuing onslaught of advertising. Some shows on Tv are even using the products as part of the show, mentioning names etc.

There is consideration of having shows without ads at all. The show time would be paid instead by active use of products during the show itself. You're seeing bits of it emerge now. Even in film.

That was taboo years ago.

You mean to tell us that SG 1 does not use Dell Laptops because they are the best for interfacing with alien technology ?
  • Reply 224 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

You mean to tell us that SG 1 does not use Dell Laptops because they are the best for interfacing with alien technology ?

Well, they must be better than Mac's, because they only used them for a while.
  • Reply 225 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Anyone know where I can find that amazing picture of Angelina Jolie in various resolutions?

I second that request!!!

Link please!!!!
  • Reply 226 of 433
    I must say, my criticism of the new look has been tempered a bit after the photo of Angelina on it. Looks pretty good. Where's my credit card?
  • Reply 227 of 433
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Fugly. I'll keep my white iMac thanks. I don't want a 24" iPhone on a stand.
  • Reply 228 of 433
    My big want to know is if the macs have a socket CPU (for homemade future upgrades)

And

At what speeds are the harddrives running (RPM)

From the previous admin of hotline's server99 back in the old days when harddrives where expensive.

Oh and for your wireless freaks.. check out the alfa 500mw usb wireless card.

First post, hope is was usefull..
  • Reply 229 of 433
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

For a side-by-side comparison of the new iMac versus my preferred look:

-

I prefer the rounded one. It's alotmore friendlier than the one with the sharp edges.
  • Reply 230 of 433
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Guys, guys! I need you to have another look at this marvel! It is a worthy and stunning replacement of the white brick!

The black border is grabbing your attention. You are sucked into whatever application that is running on your iMac!

And it does make the chin look a lot less pronounced unlike the previous white iMac.
  • Reply 231 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

And it does make the chin look a lot less pronounced unlike the previous white iMac.

I like the chin. It gave the design weight, raised the screen and it's somewhere to stick your postits. I'm glad they kept it.

Saying that, I think the design is all over the place. The black border is horrible. I thought we'd got rid of screens with borders with CRTs. The glossy glass screen over the front is annoying. The black plastic back, cheap, but at least I don't have to look at that.

Then they add a white and silver keyboard ? Huh? At least they could have made that black and silver to match the 80s NAD hi-fi aesthetic. I'm puzzled by the lack of keypad and full cursor keys on the bluetooth keyboard too. I'd still like a full keyboard but wireless.

And you've only a choice of gargantuan screens now too. I liked the 17" and it was perfect for business use or in smaller spaces like student dorms.

If they'd just not had the black border and the gloss screen I'd be checking my bank balance but I'm really going to have to go look at one first. I bought my parents a Macbook at Christmas and the glossy screen on that drove me nuts after my nice matte screen but if the iMac's LCD is brighter it might be more liveable with.

I wonder if Colorware have started offering them in white yet ?
  • Reply 232 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I'm with Mel!

It's a beautiful machine, and anyone who disagrees with us for whatever reason is someone who will never be happy. With anything! Ever!

It is a beautiful machine, but I based on decisions based on how it matches my requirements rather than how it matches my desk. With the processor and graphics card, it's a upper low to lower medium end desktop. I'm looking high medium to low high, exactly where the giant gap in Apple's lineup is.
  • Reply 233 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Think about it. Several years ago you NEVER saw a brand name, unless it was something like a car, which was too obvious to conceal. And even then the auto makers paid for that.

It's become very prevalent today, with every brand you see having been paid for.

It's in response to the backlash against the continuing onslaught of advertising. Some shows on Tv are even using the products as part of the show, mentioning names etc.

There is consideration of having shows without ads at all. The show time would be paid instead by active use of products during the show itself. You're seeing bits of it emerge now. Even in film.

That was taboo years ago.

i read somewhere that apple didn't pay them for product placement... which would explain why the G4 and G3 models are more featured than the most recent ones...

if apple DOES pay for product placement, wouldn't they want to have the most recent product on set?

i think they might pay for some and might not for others... i will shamefully admit that i watched the OC and when the series first started, there were iMacs G4 everywhere. the houses, the school... as it progressed, it changed to the G5... the same place that was once occupied by a G4 on the kid's desk, there was now a G5. however there was constantly a sticky on top of the apple logo god knows why that was there. it's clearly a mac

queer as folk was another good example. it started out full of colored iMacs and by the end of the series you could see iMac G4s and Cubes all over the place...
  • Reply 234 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Why would Apple pay for the product placement where the logo is hidden or obscured? Why would Apple pay for product placement where the obsolete product is shown? Especially one that is supposedly considered an ugly failure?
  • Reply 235 of 433
    Euwww...

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/appl...nds-on/343535/

Those reflections are terrible.
  • Reply 236 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I prefer the rounded one. It's alotmore friendlier than the one with the sharp edges.

They could be a little more consistent though. If you'll look, the top corners of a window is rounded, the bottom is squared. The menu bar is rounded at the top, the bottom of the screen is squared. On the iMac, all the corners on the front face are rounded.
  • Reply 237 of 433
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there.

I seem to recall reading that Apple never pays for product placement. (Anyone remember the source for this?)
  • Reply 238 of 433
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Euwww...

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/appl...nds-on/343535/

Those reflections are terrible.

Yikes!

The reflections could end up being a horrible, horrible problem...definitely need to see one in person.

So, I guess aluminum is the new white, and black is the new chrome?
  • Reply 239 of 433
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Kids these days and their matte screens.

Don't cha know, back in the day, all screens were made of glass and they were all glossy. Back then, there were also some vocal anti-reflectionists. But we weren't so politically correct in the CRT era. We made em buy aftermarket glare guards. You'd see those poor schlubs with contraptions hanging off their monitors like a permanent set of full head-gear braces.

• Reply 240 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

I don't think that's entirely true. Some movies and TV shows will request Apple products because it's thematically relevant, "cool" or whatever. Apple doesn't pay for this. There may be other instances where Apple does pay for placement (I don't know), but many times it's the movie/TV show that makes the request and Apple simply facilitates.