iCal dethrones iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
as the slowest and, IMHO, most poorly done iApp. Just like iPhoto, the concept is awesome but it is seriously hindered by the slowness of the UI. Of course it is not a released product yet, but it sure made those 17 " iMacs feel like a dog.

Resizing is where it hurts the most. I guess Apple figures people won't resize that much and this seems to be a problem with most Brushed Metal apps but most noticeable with iCal. Dragging the resize widget in slow movements from making the window big, small, big, small, and big again the window will be catching up to the first size change before you are done with the sequence. With more than one "calendar" up on iCal at the same time there is noticeable delay between clicking on a calendar color and having that be the active calendar (color just to the front and is more vibrant) that becomes very frustrating.

On the show floor there were tons of questions like ?If we subscribe to someone?s calendar can we edit it? And if so what happens?? I?m sure questions like this will be answered shortly but the Apple staff was busy asking each other if anyone knew.

Also, can anyone explain to me why iCal is an ?i? App but address book isn?t? I think they should have left iCal as ?calendar? and put it in the same category as Mail, and Address Book. Hopefully things will improve (with an update to iPhoto soon?)

Just wanted to share, if someone already discussed this feel free to berate me and lock the thread

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    they really should integrate Mail, iCal, and Address Book all into one app as an Entourage killer.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Nah, gyc, that would totally go against the grain. The idea of the Mac OS has always been to have many applcations that are limited in scope, but do their job well. Unlike Windows, where you have one huge app that's context sensitive, the idea is to use multiple apps that work well together. At least the data is shared between all three.

I can just imagine the confusing prefs for such an insane amalgamation...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by gyc:

<strong>they really should integrate Mail, iCal, and Address Book all into one app as an Entourage killer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Better yet have them "Dock" into each other. That way you can run just the singular app if you want or Dock them into a nice neat UI.

As for iCal i'll reserve judgement until it ships in September..that's a full month and a half away.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    wheewhee Posts: 46member

<strong>they really should integrate Mail, iCal, and Address Book all into one app as an Entourage killer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, they really should integrate Mail, Address Book, iTunes, iCal, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, TextEdit and Calculator and call it a Windows killer. Duh, wait a minute..

Integration of applications with distinct abilities is bad. It's nothing more than bloat. Plus, it goes against the whole UNIX philosophy -- one job, one tool.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I met an Apple employee who seemed pretty knowledgeable about iCal. She apologized for the sluggishness and said that would be fixed by the release. And, she hinted at groupware features to come.

iCal is way cool, IMHO.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member

They probably want at least *one more update of office x, before they pull a stunt like that and get the entire M$ suite pulled off the platform.

You can see though ... their thinking about independance.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Just 'Calendar' would have been nicer.

Mail. Address Book. Calendar.

simple, yes?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I didn't know the Mac community was in demand of a calendar program. My life is not that un-organized.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    The iCal discussion was kind of boring but I definitely will use this intensively. No question this will be great.

woudstock:

I'm not MWNY (actually at a resort on the Izu peninsula in Japan where the owner let me tap into his broadband to watch the keynote) so I haven't played with the new iMacs. Are they running 10.1.5 or 10.2? Since you mention the slow GUI you should mention this as Jaguar is reputed to have a much faster GUI.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by woudstock:

[quote]as the slowest and, IMHO, most poorly done iApp. Just like iPhoto, the concept is awesome but it is seriously hindered by the slowness of the UI. <hr></blockquote>

Do you really wonder about this? Both are Cocoa apps.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    As a proud owner of the T68i (the phone Steve demo'd Bluetooth with) I am DROOLING over iCal and over the Bluetooth support.

I have a mobile and a Palm. While I love(d) Palm Desktop 5 years ago, it reeks of imperfect carbon port ... iCal will (I'm sure) be just dandy, and when Jag drops ...

\t... and when I get my p800 from SonyEricsson (built in camera, super-large touch-screen) I am going to be one slick, connected, organised, be-gadgeted motherfcuker.

I can hardly wait.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 120member
    [quote]Originally posted by zaz:

<strong>Just 'Calendar' would have been nicer.

Mail. Address Book. Calendar.

simple, yes?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second that. iCal is a terrible name. Why is everything an iApp all of a sudden?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    [quote]they really should integrate Mail, iCal, and Address Book all into one app as an Entourage killer.<hr></blockquote>

I agree!! This whole iCal, iSync crap is far too convoluted for little "Suzy iMac buyer". It strikes me that they already had the perfect moniker for this; iTools. This .Mac crap is just a moronic jab at MS. All these appz should be centralized under the iTools name. There should be a local install of iTools (the appz themselves), and then a web component (paid). Clean and simple.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    [quote]Originally posted by Harald:

<strong>As a proud owner of the T68i (the phone Steve demo'd Bluetooth with) I am DROOLING over iCal and over the Bluetooth support.

I have a mobile and a Palm. While I love(d) Palm Desktop 5 years ago, it reeks of imperfect carbon port ... iCal will (I'm sure) be just dandy, and when Jag drops ...

\t... and when I get my p800 from SonyEricsson (built in camera, super-large touch-screen) I am going to be one slick, connected, organised, be-gadgeted motherfcuker.

I can hardly wait.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mmmm, P800 drooliness!

I was chuffed and very satisfied about this part of the keynote yesterday. Apple in bed with Sony Ericsson is no bad thing either.

low-?i
  • Reply 15 of 20
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    [quote]Originally posted by MrSparkle:

<strong>

I second that. iCal is a terrible name. Why is everything an iApp all of a sudden?</strong><hr></blockquote>

would .Cal be any better for you?

• Reply 16 of 20
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    [quote]Originally posted by Target Practice:

<strong>IAnd, she hinted at groupware features to come.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

this would open up serious corporate avenues for apple. interesting... :cool:
  • Reply 17 of 20
    [quote] I'm not MWNY (actually at a resort on the Izu peninsula in Japan where the owner let me tap into his broadband to watch the keynote) so I haven't played with the new iMacs. Are they running 10.1.5 or 10.2? Since you mention the slow GUI you should mention this as Jaguar is reputed to have a much faster GUI. <hr></blockquote>

The iMacs were running Jaguar build 6C94. The OS wasn't extremely slow, in it was just slower than I expected with playing quicktime movies and resizeing iCal in particular. It was studdering when playing two Quicktime movies at once, and even one movie would hiccup when minimizing (which I thought Quartz Exterme would take care of). The changing desktop background was smooth as silk though and very impressive.

I also crashed one iMac trying to connect to an ftp server (that doesn't use passive mode). But I still am withholding judgement on 10.2 since it isn't finished as well as iCal. My concern with iCal is that I don't see how it can improve, the resizing issue seems to be a result of redrawing all the caldendar events to fit no matter how you change the size. I'm just afraid it will be like iPhoto, slow until the next revision when it will become tolerable.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I don't know, but when I think of the word "iCal" I don't think of calendar. What a stupid name.

I hope they rename it to Calendar... just like Address Book and Mail. It really isn't a media application or so much a digital hub thing as just a neat app. But I don't know, it is kind of integrated, though iSync... And then again, Address Book has nothing to do with digital hub but has the brushed chrome, whereas Mail doesn't either but is Aqua. I just don't get it...
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Anyone know if Calendar (aka iCal) has a notes module? My Palm Organizer file create date goes all the way back to Claris Organizer days. Man, I live by that thing. I love that you can link notes, contacts, to do's, events, etc. I wonder if iCal and Address Book will work so well together.

Will I be able to attach notes to appts? Link an appt to a contact in Address Book?

Just thinking . . .
  • Reply 20 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>I don't know, but when I think of the word "iCal" I don't think of calendar. What a stupid name.

I hope they rename it to Calendar... just like Address Book and Mail. It really isn't a media application or so much a digital hub thing as just a neat app. But I don't know, it is kind of integrated, though iSync... And then again, Address Book has nothing to do with digital hub but has the brushed chrome, whereas Mail doesn't either but is Aqua. I just don't get it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

No doubt. Apple sometimes has it's head up it's butt for naming applications.

iRant