Should apple include a numeric pad on the wireless keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In my opinion no. I've never used the numerical pad on the side. I've always used the numbers on the top of the keyboard because they're right there next to the letters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I think a better question is should apple have a wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I voted no. Here is my reasoning.

Pros:

Without the number pad, the keyboard is lighter and smaller. One of the reasons people require a wireless keyboard is for portability.

With the keypad out, its balanced for typing on your lap.

Easy to store in a drawer or other small space.

Cons:

The 10key is very useful for data entry.

As a desktop keyboard replacement it's not an ideal replacement.

Missing useful keys suck as forward delete and page up/down keys.

Small cursor keys.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Should have included the number keypads in the wireless version. That is why I did not get the wireless version with my 20" I just ordered. All of my paswords include patterns from the keypad.

Plus from what I hear there is like an extra 2-week shipping wait if you get the wireless keyboard.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think a better question is should apple have a wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad?

Huh? Trackpad? Why do you think notebook owners also own mice?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well at least they could offer two wireless versions. One with a number-pad for $10 more. It would keep everyone happy.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well at least they could offer two wireless versions. One with a number-pad for $10 more. It would keep everyone happy.

Oh fu** keeping a few whiners happy.

A Wireless keyboard is for portability. Yes the market for a huge ass wireless keyboard is just red hot and smoking. Apple needs to be focused on other important needs rather than worrying about a f***ing numeric keypad on a wireless keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

A Wireless keyboard is for portability. Yes the market for a huge ass wireless keyboard is just red hot and smoking. Apple needs to be focused on other important needs rather than worrying about a f***ing numeric keypad on a wireless keyboard.

Hey I'm not complaining. I got a cool new keyboard with a numeric pad that will never be away from my computer. Others are getting a keyboard without. Thats cool.

So where are you going with this wireless keyboard? I'm just trying to picture you sitting at your computer desk thinking; "Well, I'd like to take this over to the couch 5 feet away, but dang! they went and put a friggin numeric keypad on the side. Just forget it! Or perhaps you are going to take just the keyboard down to starbucks. It's out of range of your iMac back at home and you couldn't see the screen from their anyways, but yeah! it fits in your backpack! Wahoo!
  • Reply 8 of 38
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    How else can I clear data in the calculator widget without the Clear button?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Huh? Trackpad?

A wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad is much easier to use when sitting on the sofa than a wireless keyboard and seperate mouse.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Why does the guy with an iMac or Mac Pro need a wireless keyboard? Making a wireless keyboard with a keypad makes a boat load of sense to the MB and MBP user who wants a full keyboard layout. The fact that Apple offers no port replicator or docking solution for MBP users who may travel daily with their computer, yields yet another valid reason to have a wireless extended keyboard solution... thats one less wire to connect and disconnect daily. Without a doubt, the current keyboard's niche seems to be the Home Theatre, but wouldn't you also want to integrate some kind of pointing device to complete the offering?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Agent911 View Post

Why does the guy with an iMac or Mac Pro need a wireless keyboard? Making a wireless keyboard with a keypad makes a boat load of sense to the MB and MBP user who wants a full keyboard layout. The fact that Apple offers no port replicator or docking solution for MBP users who may travel daily with their computer, yields yet another valid reason to have a wireless extended keyboard solution... thats one less wire to connect and disconnect daily. Without a doubt, the current keyboard's niche seems to be the Home Theatre, but wouldn't you also want to integrate some kind of pointing device to complete the offering?

So you're telling me that MB/MBP users are going to spend $50-80 on a keyboard which is %65 duplication of what they need when they could simply buy one of a plethora of USB Numeric Keypads?

Sounds a bit foolish when you take the size of a full size keyboard into accord. Home Theatre systems generally have simplified UI that can be navidated with arrow keys quite effectively.

I think these are the cries of a vocal minority
  • Reply 12 of 38
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Excellent question.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    For me it comes down to 2 things:

1 - Page up / Page down. Having to use 2 hands (fn + down) is a pain in the ass, unless on the laptop itself, where the trackpad is right under your thumbs, and not to the right of the keyboard.

2 - For playing games. I play WoW, personally, and I need the full number pad, and all the F1 - F13+ buttons (without holding FN to use them), for attacks, abilities, and macros.

I require full keyboard functionality while maintaining my wireless lifestyle.

- Xidius
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Didn't read the whole thread...

Ditch the numeric pad and put a trackpad in instead.

L/R versions & off course with BT...

To push it some more ditch BT, add wifi, add headphone socket, microphone, isight & make the trackpad a touch sensitive screen like the iphone. To see what you're doing when U cant look directly at your screen.

Yeye battery life...
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

to eliminate the use of wires and clutter.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    eroseros Posts: 23member
    Agree, portability=wireless=less of the un-needed.

Excuse the dumb question but, I am about to order the imac with the wireless keyboard. It says that an existing keyboard and mouse is required for setup. Does that mean, if I choose the wireless keyboard and mouse they wont actually function from the initial setup? Sorry, first mac, first wireless device.

Thanks
  • Reply 17 of 38
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:

Huh? Trackpad? Why do you think notebook owners also own mice?

Just get the air-mouse and use it from across the room.Im not sure if there are any drivers for mac, i doubt it, but you could probably write your own or find one somwhere.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:

I agree, what's the point replicating the smaller layout - I want an extended keyboard for my MacBook Pro but will have to put up with more wires tangling up in my bag.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    The new wireless keyboard is perfect, I have been looking for such a keyboard for ages (to allow me to dock my PB without having to use a sucky big keyboard). Already ordered two.

The small wireless keyboard would also work extremely well with a Mac mini under the TV...

Most PC-people at my work have switched to small and flat keyboards for ergonomic reasons (although some also have separate numpads).

Having a keyboard without numpad is much better from an ergonomic point of view as this puts the normal QWERTY-keys right in front of you + enables you to hold the mouse (if right handed) with the right arm closer to your body. A really flat keyboard (ideally one that is higher closer to you) is better for the wrists as you don't have to bend them upwards when typing.

Gonna miss my trackpad (two-finger scrolling rocks) when docking the PB though.

Wish Apple could have made a wireless keyboard with a PB layout - including back lit keys and a trackpad!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Wish Apple could have made a wireless keyboard with a PB layout - including back lit keys and a trackpad!

Yup, they're definitely missing a trick here. Man, if I were in charge of Apple...