Accepting Microsoft Outlook Calendar Invitations throgh Apple Mail and iCal

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I searched for this topic and couldn't find anything. I'm sure it has come up and there is a solution for it, but does anyone know how I can accept and transfer meeting/appointment invitations from my Apple Mail to my iCal. It is not even giving me the option to import. Just provides me with the text info, so I have to manually enter it on my iCal.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Anyone??
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

I searched for this topic and couldn't find anything. I'm sure it has come up and there is a solution for it, but does anyone know how I can accept and transfer meeting/appointment invitations from my Apple Mail to my iCal. It is not even giving me the option to import. Just provides me with the text info, so I have to manually enter it on my iCal.

I just double-click on them.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I just double-click on them.

There is nothing showing up for me to double click. Only text in the email.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Am I the only problem experiencing this problem????

Please help!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

I have no problem receiving Outlook calendar events even from friends and family across the country. It "just works." If you are not receiving them, then maybe they are not being sent.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Yes I have the same problem and so does my work. It happens with Entourage as well. All you get is a text version which you have to manually input. I have searched a bunch and so far all I've come up with is Microsoft won't include this functionality for Entourage so I assume it's the same reason Mail and iCal have the same problem. Another reason to tell your friends to ditch Microsoft. There is currently no work around. It's been this way for over 3 years.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

Yes I have the same problem and so does my work. It happens with Entourage as well. All you get is a text version which you have to manually input. I have searched a bunch and so far all I've come up with is Microsoft won't include this functionality for Entourage so I assume it's the same reason Mail and iCal have the same problem. Another reason to tell your friends to ditch Microsoft. There is currently no work around. It's been this way for over 3 years.

I believe they are fixing this issue with Leopard. But I'd like it to work properly now. The question is why does it work on some people's Macs and not others. There must be a feature that can be added or turned on that allows us to transfer these appointments over to the iCal.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

... There must be a feature that can be added or turned on that allows us to transfer these appointments over to the iCal.

On my machines, it "just works" out-of-the-box, and requires no action on my part. FWIW, my ISP at home is my cable provider using the POP3 protocol.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Using it here as well. It "just works" as Mr. Me said. The mail that shows up in Mail has a ".ics: attachment that I double-click. It goes right to iCal.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Could it be a difference between Exchange served Entourage/Outlook and non-Exchange ones.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

So calendar appoints sent from a MS Exchange environment don't even function correctly with Microsoft's very own Entourage?!?! I'm going to go out on a limb and say your IT group is doing something pretty funky to their server settings/environment to obtain this level of instability / incompatibility. Lets hope they don't write a white paper and pass it on to the rest of the MS dominated IT shops...

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Both of the people trying to send me calendar events are sending from Microsoft Exchange. I wonder if this is the problem?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

In Mail, try hitting Command+[ or Command + ] . This rotates the encoding of the message, which will sometimes result in a .ics file that you can click on. After that, you'll have to check iCal to be able to accept the invitation.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Texas Flood View Post

In Mail, try hitting Command+[ or Command + ] . This rotates the encoding of the message, which will sometimes result in a .ics file that you can click on. After that, you'll have to check iCal to be able to accept the invitation.

Holy Cow!! It worked!!

You can also get it to show up by doing this:

View > Message > Previous Alternative

THANK YOU!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I thought I had seen a utility that would do it automatically, and a new version just popped up on Macupdate today: check YAI