When will a new iPod come out??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A friend of mine is thinking about getting a iPod but he's wondering if he would regret it if they came out with a new one later this year. Do you think they will? and how soon? What do you think my friend should do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Your friend should wait. September.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Any reason why september?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiFiWalrus View Post

Because this month apple want to bring back the focus to the iMacs.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

What he said.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiFiWalrus View Post

For the new iPod. That is what you asked right?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    My 1st gen 4 GB died at the end of June so I opted for the 8 GB nano, since it is the same price as 30 GB video, I exchanged it & bought an extended warranty. Now finding out there will be a better ipod video, I might have to take this one back as well for another upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

For the new iPod. That is what you asked right?

He was asking "why," not for just a repetition of "what."

The "why" is that Fall is the traditional time for Apple to release iPod upgrades, because their Christmas season sales are so important to them. And it's been a while since a good upgrade to the existing iPods.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    From Macrumors:

Summary... iPods Soon?

Based on their circulating rumors, it appears clear that newcomer 9to5mac.com has access to legitimate sources of information on Apple's upcoming products. They were the first to describe the use of aluminum in the new iMacs and also provided some accurate descriptions of the keyboard. Their reports weren't perfect, as they also expected that the 17" iMac would remain, and a few other inconsistencies.

Most useful, however, is that their predictions for upcoming iPod revisions now have more credibility. Their most recent report claimed that iPod nanos would use the shorter proportioned design as well as the leaked UI videos. More intriguing, they claimed that a full-screen touch iPod is coming at $299 and $399 price points. Though they initially expected an August 7th release for the iPods, they are now hinting at a September release.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

He was asking "why," not for just a repetition of "what."

The "why" is that Fall is the traditional time for Apple to release iPod upgrades, because their Christmas season sales are so important to them. And it's been a while since a good upgrade to the existing iPods.

It was only a joke - 'sprout'
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87

More intriguing, they claimed that a full-screen touch iPod is coming at $299 and $399 price points.

Makes perfect sense if you plan on selling 40,000,000 of something like that. They are the exact same price points I predicted in the other thread. I also say they will be 40GB and 100GB respectively too. I'm beginning to doubt they will have WiFi though. After all Apple chose not to include the remote-holding-magnet on the new iMac, makes me think they are capable of anything.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    they took out the magnet? Lame.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Makes perfect sense if you plan on selling 40,000,000 of something like that. They are the exact same price points I predicted in the other thread. I also say they will be 40GB and 100GB respectively too. I'm beginning to doubt they will have WiFi though. After all Apple chose not to include the remote-holding-magnet on the new iMac, makes me think they are capable of anything.

For now you can forget about Wifi but in the near future it can be very useful especially in combination with an iMac and airport express. With the help of an updated iTunes the iPhone can be used as a bridge for streaming music/trailers/youtube movies from the computer to the iPod which is connected to a TV/stereo in another room.

Then again Apple wants the Apple TV to be used for that purpose, at least for now, I hope.