New iMac or Wait for new MacPro?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey Everyone,

I need some opinions here...

I'm a graphic designer/web developer, and am shortly going to be in need of a new machine. Currently, my daily machine is a Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram + a LaCie 1TB FW800 Ext Raid 5 -- (My backup machine is a Dell Precision 330, 1.5GHz, PIV, 1GB Ram -- Circa 1999). [Obviously] it's not often that I buy a new machine, so when I do, it's usually fully loaded, so that I can get the most mileage out of it. I've been waiting for a *genuine* MacPro update for a while now, and feel like I'm losing my grip to hold off much longer... esp. now with the new iMacs.

In my daily work grind, I think I really run my hardware to it's limits. Currently, I find that I'm using the following apps everyday -- usually all at the same time: Adobe Illustrator CS3, Photoshop CS3, Adobe Lightroom, Suitcase Fusion, BBEdit, Acrobat 8Pro, Transmit, CSS Edit, Feeder, Xyle Scope, Thunderbird, Ichat, Firefox, Safari, Camino, Newsfire.

Question 1:

So, I ask you all, which do you think would better fit my needs? A 4-8core MacPro, 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, ATI 1900, 30" ACD -- OR -- 24" iMac, 2.8GHz Extreme C2D, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD?

Question 2:

Do you think it makes more sense to spend $3000 for a loaded iMac and replace it again in 2yrs, or $8000 for a new MacPro (Penryn), and replace it again in 5 years?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Honestly, unless you're waiting for GPU update, I don't see why you're holding off on the Mac Pro. Aside from that I think an iMac can run all of those programs as fast as needed, I am not fimiliar with a couple but all of the ones I am fimiliar with do not require an extremely fast computer whatsoever.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Track_40 View Post

Hey Everyone,

I need some opinions here...

I'm a graphic designer/web developer, and am shortly going to be in need of a new machine. Currently, my daily machine is a Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram + a LaCie 1TB FW800 Ext Raid 5 -- (My backup machine is a Dell Precision 330, 1.5GHz, PIV, 1GB Ram -- Circa 1999). [Obviously] it's not often that I buy a new machine, so when I do, it's usually fully loaded, so that I can get the most mileage out of it. I've been waiting for a *genuine* MacPro update for a while now, and feel like I'm losing my grip to hold off much longer... esp. now with the new iMacs.

In my daily work grind, I think I really run my hardware to it's limits. Currently, I find that I'm using the following apps everyday -- usually all at the same time: Adobe Illustrator CS3, Photoshop CS3, Adobe Lightroom, Suitcase Fusion, BBEdit, Acrobat 8Pro, Transmit, CSS Edit, Feeder, Xyle Scope, Thunderbird, Ichat, Firefox, Safari, Camino, Newsfire.

Question 1:

So, I ask you all, which do you think would better fit my needs? A 4-8core MacPro, 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, ATI 1900, 30" ACD -- OR -- 24" iMac, 2.8GHz Extreme C2D, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD?

Question 2:

Do you think it makes more sense to spend $3000 for a loaded iMac and replace it again in 2yrs, or $8000 for a new MacPro (Penryn), and replace it again in 5 years?

I suppose it depends on what your client list looks like. If you're just starting out, I'd get either a MacBook Pro (to take to meetings), or the iBook if the Pro is too expensive for you, or the iMac for 99% of all work at home office/small office.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I suppose it depends on what your client list looks like. If you're just starting out, I'd get either a MacBook Pro (to take to meetings), or the iBook if the Pro is too expensive for you, or the iMac for 99% of all work at home office/small office.

Good Point...

Okay...

How about these options:

System #1: Loaded 2.8GHZ iMac

System #2: Loaded 15" MacBookPro + 23" ACD

System #3: Loaded 15" MacBookPro + 30" ACD

It really is amazing how 'affordable' the imac really becomes:

System #1: $2672

System #2: $3992

System #3: $4871
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I have a buddy who's a graphic designer for Golden One Credit Union. He uses pretty much all of the applications you listed. His iMac suits him just fine. And he has an older model.

If you're going to go all out and get a loaded one, I'm sure that first system will be plenty if not more than you need.

Dropping four grand on a MBP and an ACD just doesn't seem reasonable. You don't need to be mobile. And as a graphics designer, you'd probably want a desk to be stationary in.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I'm going to get the new 2.8GHz iMac w/1TB storage, and 2GB of RAM.

That's more than enough for even the heavy duty stuff I want to do with video, Motion and music.

The new iMac is superb.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    YOU'RE superb.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I have a buddy who's a graphic designer for Golden One Credit Union. He uses pretty much all of the applications you listed. His iMac suits him just fine. And he has an older model.

If you're going to go all out and get a loaded one, I'm sure that first system will be plenty if not more than you need.

Dropping four grand on a MBP and an ACD just doesn't seem reasonable. You don't need to be mobile. And as a graphics designer, you'd probably want a desk to be stationary in.

Yes, good points indeed.

I think I will burn some work files to a dvd and give the 2.8GHz iMac a test at the Apple store, once they are in.

I'm still shocked how so-called 'affordable' they can be, once you put it into perspective
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

YOU'RE superb.

... ...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm going to get the new 2.8GHz iMac w/1TB storage, and 2GB of RAM.

That's more than enough for even the heavy duty stuff I want to do with video, Motion and music.

The new iMac is superb.

I'm in the same boat as you, i think it's amazing too. I'm going to get the 2.8GHz version in October. One thing though, I heard if you have 500GB or bigger the thing spends more time correcting errors than anything else, thus slowing it's speed and reducing the drives' lifetime. I heard someone saying they heard it on DLTV. Are you aware of this, and do you know if I should put much weight on it ? Are you banking on ZFS to solve this issue ? I think I'm going to go for 320GB myself, it's plenty big for me.

P.S. I already have a buyer lined up to take this iMac off my hands
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

One thing though, I heard if you have 500GB or bigger the thing spends more time correcting errors than anything else, thus slowing it's speed and reducing the drives' lifetime. I heard someone saying they heard it on DLTV. Are you aware of this, and do you know if I should put much weight on it ?

Hmm... I'd need someone else to comment on this.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

I think the one thing I've overlooked in all this iMac hoopla, is that the screen is GLOSSY. I spoke to Apple today, and they said if you have any need at all for color accuracy, steer WELL CLEAR of the iMac. They said the screen is composed of polarized glass, and it inherently makes things much more contrasty. The rep said that even with a color calibrator (spyder2pro, eyeone, etc.), you will not get accurate color off of it.

Damn it to all hell. That news just cost me a few grand, cuz now I'm back looking at a MacPro again -- or a MBP (matte) w/ ACD.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Good Point...

Okay...

How about these options:

System #1: Loaded 2.8GHZ iMac

System #2: Loaded 15" MacBookPro + 23" ACD

System #3: Loaded 15" MacBookPro + 30" ACD

It really is amazing how 'affordable' the imac really becomes:

System #1: $2672

System #2: $3992

System #3: $4871

That is why I ordered an iMac being a graphic designer myself. Going from an older mac like you ANYTHING will be faster then what I'm use to. Take the money you would save and use it on other things or a new computer several years down the road.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

That is why I ordered an iMac being a graphic designer myself. Going from an older mac like you ANYTHING will be faster then what I'm use to. Take the money you would save and use it on other things or a new computer several years down the road.

But aren't you concerned about the color accuracy/calibration issues that may be present with the new high-gloss screen?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

But aren't you concerned about the color accuracy/calibration issues that may be present with the new high-gloss screen?

Between the iMac and fully loaded MacBook Pro with the big display, you are talking about 2 grand. You would have to be doing some pretty frequent and demanding color accurate work to justify that big a jump in price. If so, then do it.

For me the new iMac will be my home computer where I do free lance work and my kids just bang around. ( A true prosumer environment). At my day job, I have a Mac Pro with LED screens. (not glossy). I will be going back and forth between the two Macs with projects. But even at work, If I'm doing a print job and color is THAT critical, then I use Spot colors.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:

I think the one thing I've overlooked in all this iMac hoopla, is that the screen is GLOSSY. I spoke to Apple today, and they said if you have any need at all for color accuracy, steer WELL CLEAR of the iMac. They said the screen is composed of polarized glass, and it inherently makes things much more contrasty. The rep said that even with a color calibrator (spyder2pro, eyeone, etc.), you will not get accurate color off of it.

Damn it to all hell. That news just cost me a few grand, cuz now I'm back looking at a MacPro again -- or a MBP (matte) w/ ACD.

It's all relative - I really can't imagine it would make that much difference if properly calibrated in a controlled environment. You would probably find color accuracy is more likely to be affected by ambient light and external color temperature concerns.

Why not purchase an iMac as you originally intended, spend some time setting it up properly and see how 'bad' it is. Return it for a few bucks if your not satisfied - you may save a shedload of cash by not having to buy a Mac Pro. You can always hook up a quality S-IPS second monitor for photo work. I'm in the same boat as you ;-)

This is all based on the 24" iMac by the way (which is either a S-PVA or S-IPS panel) - the 20" is a TN Film panel (yuck!) - no one should buy a 20" iMac as the matrix in these are very cheap and color accuracy sucks donkeys...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The deal is sealed.

Just ordered a 24" 2.8GHz.

Ordered 4GB of Ram from Otherworldcomputing.com

Can't wait till it gets here.

Experimented with the 24" at the Apple store this morning, and was blown away.

It really is an amazing value.

Also, if you haven't seen already, if you are going to upg the ram yourself, you can save yourself $150 off the bat, and configure up the system as a 2.4GHz 24", and add in the 2.8GHz upgrade, and also up the hd to 500GB - versus - simply selecting the 2.8GHz option.