Apple UK set to flick the switch on iTunes movie downloads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Wow this news is still good first thing in the morning.

I hope they bring some of the old US shows like Time Tunnel to the UK as you can't get stuff like that on DVD here at all and I'm sure I'd do a season pass of that for starters.

But at the very least I'll be able to get a look at the quality (feel the width) of the downloads, and at long last be able to take a look at Star Trek TOS remastered and see what all the fuss is about I'm a happy spider pig if this turns out to be true. Almost makes up for the iMac and wireless keyboard let down.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    A lot of the good stuff on the BBC is made by independent production companies now so we may well see these on iTunes. Plus having just lost out on the licence fee rise they wanted, I suspect the BBC would be happy to embrace any new revenue streams. Who Knows.

I wonder if we will see any announcements re more film studios joining in? I had a look at the movies available on the iTunes US store and there wasn't much to shout about.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    boompubboompub Posts: 15member
    I am so tired of Apple and Canada not "playing nice". What is the deal with Apple? Why should the UK get iTunes movies before the US' neighbors Canada? I just don't get it. YEs another reason NOT TO BUY an Apple TV for myself. While I'm ranting, when the hell is iTunes going to stream/rent movies? This would be an Blockbuster-killer move IMO.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boompub View Post

I am so tired of Apple and Canada not "playing nice". What is the deal with Apple? Why should the UK get iTunes movies before the US' neighbors Canada? I just don't get it. YEs another reason NOT TO BUY an Apple TV for myself. While I'm ranting, when the hell is iTunes going to stream/rent movies? This would be an Blockbuster-killer move IMO.

What makes you think it is Apple keeping that from happening?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    bout bloody time! hehehehe

I can't wait for this. I hope we get a good chunk of the american shows, i.e south park, daily show etc etc. I personally don't think there will be much BBC stuff on there due to their iPlayer, and I'm guessing a factor to it taking this long is due to negoations with the Beeeb!

hehehe.....I really can't wait for this. Long time coming, will finally justify buying an Apple TV
  • Reply 26 of 26
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Will definitely be interesting to see which UK channels are on board. BBC has iPlayer, and Channel 4 has 4OD so will either, both or neither be on iTunes. Haven't heard anything about ITV or Five. There would be some obvious UK shows on the major channels that could go onto iTunes the same way as Lost and Desperate Housewives in the US (Doctor Who & Torchwood, Rome, Shameless). Will be interesting to see how many American shows get onto the UK listings too, as a lot of US series are on Sky and not terrestrial TV (BSG, Lost season 3).