ilife family pack vs single user

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any physical difference between the family pack and the single user pack. If i have 2 machines can I load them on both if I only use one at a time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    AFAIK, Apple's apps don't "phone home", so you should be able to use it on two machines, but c'mon, the difference is only $20!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

AFAIK, Apple's apps don't "phone home", so you should be able to use it on two machines, but c'mon, the difference is only $20!

In iWork '06, I caught both Pages and Keynote trying to "phone home" at the first launch of each program.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Don't be a cheapskate. Seriously. Most people think nothing of spending 4 bucks on their coffee, but it's a big problem when they have to pony up for software.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple will remain the amazing company it is when we help them out by actually being honest consumers and paying for the software.

I know for my family (parents and me), even though we don't live in the same physical household, I still feel like it's best to buy the family pack. Yeah, so it's not the EXACT thing we should do, but at least we're not just paying for one stinking license.

Use your best judgement.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I am pretty sure the last version of iLife doesn't check in with big brother but I know that the last version of iWork did.

I will know today as I am walking out the door for lunch which means a stop by to get both new versions.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    There is a difference between two people on two different machine using the same software versus owning two Macs and installing software on both of them.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Apple will remain the amazing company it is when we help them out by actually being honest consumers and paying for the software.

I know for my family (parents and me), even though we don't live in the same physical household, I still feel like it's best to buy the family pack. Yeah, so it's not the EXACT thing we should do, but at least we're not just paying for one stinking license.

Use your best judgement.

**Donning my flame retardant suit**

So... sexual assault is okay but rape is crossing the line... Got it.

Yea a dreadfully over the top comparison, I know... but I wouldn't be me otherwise.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

In iWork '06, I caught both Pages and Keynote trying to "phone home" at the first launch of each program.

Ah ha! I registered iWork before I installed it and it knew because it didn't ask me to register it like iLife did.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Any physical difference between the family pack and the single user pack. If i have 2 machines can I load them on both if I only use one at a time?

I called my local Apple store last night to see if I could legally install iLife '08 on BOTH my laptop and my iMac. They said that was fine and legal.

Just to make sure, I called the online Apple Store and recieved the same response.

I asked about BOTH iLife and iWork. They both said that it was ok to install on both of my machines.

FYI - This inquiry was about only the single version. Of course, it'd also be ok to use the family version.