Apple issues iMac Software, Mac Pro firmware, Boot Camp updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday evening released another round of software updates targeting its just-released line of iMacs, the existing line of Mac Pro systems, and its Boot Camp dual-boot software.

iMac Software Update 1.0

iMac Software Update 1.0 [5.1MB] provides important bug fixes and is recommended for 20-inch and 24-inch iMac models with 2.0, 2.4, or 2.8GHz processors.

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 [544KB] adjusts fan behavior in the Mac Pro.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically after restart.

"The SMC firmware update starts automatically. A status bar indicates the progress of the update," Apple says. "During the update your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes."

Boot Camp 1.4 beta

Boot Camp 1.4 beta [347MB] contains several updates and is intended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users.

Among the features Apple lists for the new version are support for keyboard backlighting, Apple Remote pairing, updated graphics drivers, improved Boot Camp driver installer, improved international keyboard support, and localization fixes.

However, it should be noted that several of these fixes were listed for previous versions of Boot Camp, meaning the new version may simply employ overall stability and performance enhancements.

iMovie 6 as a standalone download

Apple on Wednesday also posted a version of iMovie 6 HD [154.6MB] for adopters of iLife '08 who'd rather use the previous version of iMovie.

"iMovie HD 6, previously distributed with iLife ?06, is available for download for those who have purchased and installed iLife ?08," Apple wrote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The iMac model is only a day old and there's already an update.

I didn't know that there were any fan behavior problems with the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Oh, good, I was going to be upset about the old iMovies.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Is it possible to update drivers from Boot Camp 1.3 to 1.4 without burning yet another CD?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arantxa View Post

Oh, good, I was going to be upset about the old iMovies.

I didn't realize that it almost totally broke backward compatibility. So it's not necessarily a preference thing.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Is it possible to update drivers from Boot Camp 1.3 to 1.4 without burning yet another CD?

Not sure, but can't you update it from the Windows version of Apple Software Update?

/Adrian
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Christ, I always get nervous with firmware updates. Last time my Mac Pro hung for a looooong time without the Apple logo or the spinny thing. I thought it was over.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Kasper, you forgot the MBP software update 1.1, that 'provides important bug fixes and improves stability with Motion 2 and Motion 3. It is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models. This update requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.'