2400 XT & 2600 Pro Review

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post

isn't company of heroes a two year old game?

It came out about 9 months ago, I think.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Shame Apple doesn't use that functionality, isn't it?

And how do you know that?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

And how do you know that?

Because when you play H.264, it uses too much CPU. Also, and much more frustratingly, the GPU hardware is capable of encoding video too, yet QuickTime's H.264 export is pathetically slow.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Dont worry, most computers wont be able to play crysis at full settings on a 30 inch screen.

I think you mean most computers on a 17" 4:3 screen...that game has some ludicrous specs!
  • Reply 25 of 29
    arantxaarantxa Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

"Overall, the new Radeon HD 2600 XT, 2600 Pro, and 2400 XT cards should make for quiet, low-power upgrades from any integrated graphics solution and offer a relatively low-cost of entry into the world of DirectX 10. These cards are obviously not geared to hardcore gamers, but at lower resolutions without high levels of AA and anisotropic filtering enabled they?ll be adequate for casual gaming. These cards are also well suited to HTPC applications where video playback performance and low-noise output are of the utmost importance."

The relevant parts of the review conclusion have been highlighted for your convenience.

Still, they are big improvements over the X1650 Pro I currently have in my gaming PC... \

So it should be fine for hobbyist video-editing and The Sims 2 and Guildwars. My worries are gone.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i'm wondering about it... as of the moment i consider games a waste of my time, although i like to retro game (emulators, original quakes, dooms). i might be tempted to get some modern games, but i really don't think i'll be bothering to maintain a windows installation via bootcamp in order to do it.

does this card sound sufficient for those uses? should only the serious/semi-serious gamer be concerned about this card?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I do think that Apple should have offered us a custom build option like they did with the 7600GT. The option to run a 2600XT or even a 2900XT would have been a nice addition!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Apple not using UVD or PowerVideo?

That just plain sucks - Why? I hope leopard would change this. Since implmenting it isn't hard at all. And apple could make their Mac run cooler and uses less power by actually harvesting this decoding power from the GPU.

And apart from Apple got some VERY cheap deals from AMD/ATI , i couldn't think of another reason why Apple went with ATI.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Shame Apple doesn't use that functionality, isn't it?

Don't know, just asking but isn't apple limited from doing this by the older hardware which don't have powerful enough gpus to handle this?

PS could the gma 950 do this as well?