iLife 08

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Viewpoints so far?

iPhoto events sound great. I have thousands of pictures in iPhoto and this sounds exactly like what I need.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I currently use a separate roll for each event. Rolls were intended to separate each import of photos but worked much better as a tool for grouping photos by event. Hopefully I can merge my (event) rolls into the new system easily.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I personally think that the new iMovie is the best. Making better videos in a lot less time. Good stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    will this come preloaded on hardware from now on? garageband looks so badass
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

will this come preloaded on hardware from now on? garageband looks so badass

yes.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    sweet. macbook, here I come!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have to wait 7 days to play with it.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I personally think that the new iMovie is the best. Making better videos in a lot less time. Good stuff.

Scrubbable clips in the media browser: awesome. Super fast clip joining, cool. Some of the UI paradigm: nice.

Loss of timeline, and the complete obliteration of useful sound editing tools: WTF?

Why? Why does a pretty new UI mean you have to kill off all kinds of functionality? Because if it's in there at all people will become disoriented? Because anything more than placing colored blocks on top of each other is asking too much of Apple users? Jesus.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Garageband, iPhoto and iMovie look fantastic. I'm even thinking of buying iWork!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Agree. The demo at Apple's website show iMovie to be amazingly easy to use.

iPhoto doesn't look bad though.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Does anyone have a handle on the iWeb, iMovie, and iPhoto features that are exclusive to .Mac users (if any)? I got the impression some of the photo sharing & live content features were for .mac only.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Personally I believe that iLife 08 is a huge, and impressive, upgrade. Steve J seems to think so as he spent most of his presentation on it - giving the new iMacs only a passing glance in comparison to the iLife presentation.

The work on iPhoto impressed me the most, especially with the tie in with .Mac, and the new iMovie makes me want to get some old rolls of Super 8 converted to DVDs so I can start playing with it.

I believe that within very short order the Apple Stores will have some very powerful demos ready and will be getting prospective customers more than a little excited.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Yes the Events feature if iPhoto doesn't translate well to written explanation but when you see it in action you understand the power primarily when the "skimming" feature is used.

iMovie is going to piss off power users who previously were doing work that should have gone to Final Cut Express. Apple has "dumbed down" iMovie a bit though and in the process might spur more consumers to actually use the program.

Garageband and iWeb have seen some nice upgrades and iDVD was downplayed by Jobs but looks fine. I'm certainly going to upgrade but I'll wait until Leopard versions are available and do the whole iLife/iWork/Leopard upgrade along with a RAM upgrade. October should be a fun month for me.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jake_11jake_11 Posts: 35member
    I do like the new iPhoto. The events are nice and easy to figure out. I also had used film rolls for the same purpose before and the new version simply transfers them into events. I have a couple complaints, however. First is I don't want the events from 2 or more years ago to always show up. Before I could simply uncheck the boxes for the years I didn't want to display in my library. The second is with the key photo. When you open up the event, it takes you to the key photo instead of the beginning of the event. Now I have to scroll up to the top to the first pic in the event.

With iMovie, I think Apple understood this and this is why they have chosen to leave iMovieHD in the apps folder after the installation. The more advanced users can use either the old or new iMovie depending on what they are doing. I like the new version, but the first thing I noticed was the missing functionality. I had thought about Final Cut Express for a while, so I might just have to get it now.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    I haven't been able to install the bundled version of iLife 08 that came with my new iMac onto my older MacBook Pro. The new iMac does not come with a separate iLife installation disk, but instead only comes with Mac OSX Installation disks 1 and 2. When I try running the installer on these disks on the MacBookPro I get an error. I trried manually copying iWeb 08 from the the iMAC to the MacBookPro, but when I try to run it, it states the application is incomplete and to use the installation disks. Can anyone help? Does this mean I will have to buy a separate version of iLife 08 to install on my older Macs?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Just recieved my copy yesterday and my impressions are that iPhoto and iDVD good upgrades. I would however would of like an option to export directly to Apple TV from the iDVD..very disappointed about this.

iMovie so far not been that impressed preferred iMovieHD by a long way. Even though iMovie has more video support my Sony DSC200 still doesn't nativly import into any iLife08 applications without conversion from FFMpeg. However I love the snappiness of all applications just a bit underwhelmed.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luigi View Post

I haven't been able to install the bundled version of iLife 08 that came with my new iMac onto my older MacBook Pro. The new iMac does not come with a separate iLife installation disk, but instead only comes with Mac OSX Installation disks 1 and 2. When I try running the installer on these disks on the MacBookPro I get an error. I trried manually copying iWeb 08 from the the iMAC to the MacBookPro, but when I try to run it, it states the application is incomplete and to use the installation disks. Can anyone help? Does this mean I will have to buy a separate version of iLife 08 to install on my older Macs?

Yes.

The system software that came with your machine is designed to only work with your type of iMac. There may be ways around this to extract iLife out, but I wouldn't know what they are.

Probably your best bet is to just hook the two machines up with a fire-wire cable and simply drag and drop them over.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Yes.

The system software that came with your machine is designed to only work with your type of iMac. There may be ways around this to extract iLife out, but I wouldn't know what they are.

Probably your best bet is to just hook the two machines up with a fire-wire cable and simply drag and drop them over.

I tried doing the dragging over a wireless connection. It took forever and then I got the errors I mentioned. Not sure if doing it over firewire will be any different but I'll give it a try. Thanks. So far by biggest gripe with iLife is no separate installation disk. I got used to upgrading alll my Macs with the latest iLife whenever I bought a new Mac. It dosen't seem like this will be possible anymore. I wonder if the same will happen when Leopard comes out. If you buy a new system with Leopard installed, will you be able to install it on older Macs?