Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 341 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trashley View Post

erm... because they wanna make you go buy a film of anti-glare yourself and earn your $$?

How many anti-glare films for iMacs is Apple selling right now? Note: the answer is less than 1.
  • Reply 342 of 433
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

How many anti-glare films for iMacs is Apple selling right now? Note: the answer is less than 1.

They do need to keep the 3rd party suppliers in business, eh?

Why else would they keep making keyboards with bright white keys, for example?

(looks at the iSkin cover on his Apple Pro keyboard)
  • Reply 343 of 433
    Hi, Do they still use that mobile core duo and for example would it be possible to upgrade to a 3.0 extreme (6800 /6850?)
  • Reply 344 of 433
    Quote:

duh... whoever said its available now...
  • Reply 345 of 433
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Same here ? 24" is slightly too big, 20" is slightly too small \

Today, I spent one hour travelling between both iMacs. The Apple Genius told me that there's no difference between the screen of a 23" Cinema Display and the screen of the 24" iMac as they both have the same resolution. So, technically speaking, the 24" iMac is actually a 23" iMac.

However, the dilemma was easily solved by the food paradigm: it is better to stop eating while you're still a little hungry i/o keep on eating till you're stuffed and feeling miserably afterwards. The first habit will slim you down, while the other one might lead to chronic depressions.

Meaning, it's better to save the extra cash (and spend it on an iPhone) and coping with the idea that your A4 documents will be slightly too big on your 20" screen

That post has only confused me more, thanks
  • Reply 346 of 433
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Obviously everyone was expecting the "floating in thin air display, with invisible enclosure".

Posts don't get much better than this ;-)

big up yer self man
  • Reply 347 of 433
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deranged View Post

Do they still use that mobile core duo

Mobile Core 2 Duo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deranged View Post

and for example would it be possible to upgrade to a 3.0 extreme (6800 /6850?)

No.
  • Reply 348 of 433
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The Apple Genius told me that there's no difference between the screen of a 23" Cinema Display and the screen of the 24" iMac as they both have the same resolution. So, technically speaking, the 24" iMac is actually a 23" iMac.

Eh? Just because they have the same resolution doesn't mean they are the same panel. A 24" panel can have the same resolution as a 23" because the 24" will have a larger dot pitch - hence a completely different panel.

Besides, Apple cannot sell a 23" panel and call it a 24" like the good old days of CRT, where they can get away with it due to the hidden dimensions of CRT tubes and overscan.

Honestly I wonder how much it takes to become an Apple 'genius' sometimes...

Give me a panel part number for the 24" and we can settle this
  • Reply 349 of 433
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

Just because they have the same resolution doesn't mean they are the same panel.

I think the point the "genius" was trying to make was not that the panel is the same - obviously they can't be - but that there's not much effective or practical difference between the panels. Since they have the same resolution, there isn't really an advantage of the 24" over the 23" panel - just because it's physically bigger doesn't mean you get any more useable screen space.
  • Reply 350 of 433
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think the point the "genius" was trying to make was not that the panel is the same - obviously they can't be - but that there's not much effective or practical difference between the panels. Since they have the same resolution, there isn't really an advantage of the 24" over the 23" panel - just because it's physically bigger doesn't mean you get any more useable screen space.

Yes true if you are speaking in practical terms, but the quote was in technical terms, which is inaccurate.

Either the Appple Genius was mis-quoted, or is speaking out of his @ss

Quote:

technically speaking, the 24" iMac is actually a 23" iMac

• Reply 351 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That post has only confused me more, thanks

I think it's an easier choice if there's a 17" still in the mix.

With 17, 20, and 24, then it's easy to go for the 20": not too big, not too small, juuuuuuuuust right.

So just pretend the 17" still exists and tell yourself you'll get the 20".

Then, apply the same logic you would have applied a week ago: if you still feel the 20" is too small for you, up it to 24".

• Reply 352 of 433
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

Yes true if you are speaking in practical terms, but the quote was in technical terms, which is inaccurate.

Either the Appple Genius was mis-quoted, or is speaking out of his @ss

Oy, I think the Genius was speaking in practical terms. Sorry for the misquote, but I found it very confusing at the time so I was just playing the smart guy by nodding my head on everything he was saying
  • Reply 353 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

They are equivalent in the number of dots, but I think the slightly larger one is slightly more useable, you can sit slightly farther away or it's slightly easier to read at the same distance. Last I heard, there was only one supplier of the 23" panels, everyone else had settled on 24" panels.
  • Reply 354 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I think it's an easier choice if there's a 17" still in the mix.

With 17, 20, and 24, then it's easy to go for the 20": not too big, not too small, juuuuuuuuust right.

So just pretend the 17" still exists and tell yourself you'll get the 20".

Then, apply the same logic you would have applied a week ago: if you still feel the 20" is too small for you, up it to 24".

I think Apple should release a 22" iMac.

It is amazing how I got used to the 20" screen. At first, I thought it was huge. Today, I am surprised to experience it is just not big enough.

As to Ireland, forget about the food paradigm and go for the 24". I guess you might find it HUGE today, but you might get used to it (finding it just not big enough in a couple of years ).
  • Reply 355 of 433
    Have a 20 inches 2.4 arriving on monday plus the 4gb kit from owc. Cant tell how happy i'm !

• Reply 356 of 433
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    What is the powerbutton on the side of the new wireless keyboard used for? Does it just switch the keyboard on and off or does it controll your Mac as well?
  • Reply 357 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trashley View Post

duh... whoever said its available now...

So the conspiracy is that they put glass on iMacs to sell film that's not even available for sale yet, if ever?
  • Reply 358 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

What is the powerbutton on the side of the new wireless keyboard used for? Does it just switch the keyboard on and off or does it controll your Mac as well?

Keyboard
  • Reply 359 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

Mac.

The keyboard is switched on automatically from the moment you start typing.
  • Reply 360 of 433
    Quote:

So the conspiracy is that they put glass on iMacs to sell film that's not even available for sale yet, if ever?

so u mean when ipod first came out, there was screen protector, silicon casing, iSocks, FM transmitter, car charger already in the market waiting for users to buy

when mb, mbp first came, were there keyboard protectors available? or custom skin?

time will tell if there will ever be an anti-glare film made available by third-parties.

maybe u misunderstood my original statement of apple wanting to make money from the film. it was meant as a joke but it was surely lost on you.