Design details and teardown photos of Apple's new iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Although iChat currently limits it to 640*480, apparentely the iSight in the new MBPs is 1.3. I read that on macrumors I think.

Edit: Yup, found the link

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/28/...-3-mp-upgrade/

If it's still the cell phone camera style, then the picture's not going to be much better at the higher resolution.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Etching is a bad way to go, you aren't likely to be able to see anything through it. I would pay more for an antireflective treatment that's been done on some CRTs and eyeglasses. It's done on most camera lenses & binoculars that I've seen too.

I am no glass expert, as you can tell from my first post, but this kind of treatment is what I had in mind. In my understanding, roughing up the surface would eliminate the reflections. May be there are other more suitable treatments available (IRC CRTs have multiple layers of coating). But you get the idea...

I wonder why (possibly cost-of-scale effects or cost of storing multiple variants) Apple does not offer matte glass as an option.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

This new iMac reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the kids go crazy to buy the new Malibu Stacey doll simply because she has a new hat. I can't figure out why I would want to replace my existing iMac with this new one -- simply because it's a different color and the screen is highly reflective? That seems like a really bad thing, I hate glossy screens. They'll have to make it matte again before I'll upgrade.

The design is not as awful as some people have been saying. I went to the Apple store and played around with it. I thought it was pretty slick. The glass screen did not seem to be a problem at all. It may not be the right machine for some of you Mac purists, but the target market may be mostly the switchers who will be using it with the new iMovie EZ.

m
  • Reply 24 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As just posted on Macworld:

For those that missed it the "GLOSSY" part of the screen is really just a glass plate held on by magnets, over a regular, MATTE finished LCD. If you really had your heart set on an iMac, simply removing the glass plate will restore the traditional non-glossy screen, AND provide a nice recess to keep the screen in shadow.[/I]

It seems obvious that third-party 'non-glare replacement glass' will be for sale in the next day or so. With or without the black frame. Maybe even from Apple.

It's pretty cool that it's held in by magnets, I was wondering how they just pulled the thing off with suction cups. I really hope there will be custom screens with possibly a silver border. They could even be pretty thin plastic screens with a small metallic strip round the edges - or maybe the magnet is on the screen?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

I am no glass expert, as you can tell from my first post, but this kind of treatment is what I had in mind. In my understanding, roughing up the surface would eliminate the reflections. May be there are other more suitable treatments available (IRC CRTs have multiple layers of coating). But you get the idea...

I wonder why (possibly cost-of-scale effects or cost of storing multiple variants) Apple does not offer matte glass as an option.

Sorry, but I think matte glass is just as dumb as glossy glass. It's a false dichotomy. They are both lower quality options than a proper anti-reflective treatment.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

I think it's the challenge of it, Apple's products are notoriously hard to get into.

If it's hard for end users to get into, then imagine how the technicians who actually have to repair these things must feel. With every new generation of iMac after the original iMac G5, Apple has shown complete disregard for ease of service. Apple doesn't realize that by making their iMacs and laptops so difficult for technicians to take apart, Apple is also forcing customers to wait longer for repairs to get done. Believe it or not, technicians actually have more than one customer each day. So a technician can't afford to spend all day working on a single computer while the phone is ringing off the hook and other customers are waiting in line.

If Apple does not start making dramatic improvements in ease of service, then technicians should start taking matters into their own hands. If customers continue to act like ease of service is not their problem, then technicians should make it the customer's problem. Technicians should automatically put all iMac repairs on lowest priority regardless of whether that iMac came in first. In fact, they should just let the iMac sit on the shelf for a couple of days out of spite before even looking at it. Another way for repair shops to screw with Apple is to wait for the Mac technician to get swamped with iMac and MacBook Pro repairs, and then load him up with a dozen other repairs that same day. If the Mac tech complains that he can't take any more calls because he is too busy, the call dispatcher should respond with a smartass remark like "But I thought Macs were so easy to work on". Apple authorized repair shops should also complain constantly to Apple Service Provider Support regarding the poor serviceability of iMacs. They should refuse to work on iMacs locally, and just ship all iMacs out to Apple. This provides the added benefit of making the iMac owner wait longer for repairs. Repair shops should not be afraid to punish iMac owners. If Apple won't make iMacs easy for technicians to repair, then Apple should repair all iMacs themselves, and customer service be damned.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If Apple does not start making dramatic improvements in ease of service, then technicians should start taking matters into their own hands. If customers continue to act like ease of service is not their problem, then technicians should make it the customer's problem. Technicians should automatically put all iMac repairs on lowest priority regardless of whether that iMac came in first. In fact, they should just let the iMac sit on the shelf for a couple of days out of spite before even looking at it.

Authorized Apple Service Centers would be the place to take your Apple products needing repair not the Maytag man.

m
  • Reply 28 of 42
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Get a life. Then get an iMac with Applecare.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Authorized Apple Service Centers would be the place to take your Apple products needing repair not the Maytag man.

m

The Authorized Apple Service guy who replaced the Super Drive in my iMac G4 under AppleCare took about 30 minutes altogether to disassemble and reassemble the iMac, and about 2 minutes to swap the actual drive out. He also voiced his opinion that the 'Sunflower' iMacs 'look cool' but he 'hates' to work on them. Your point was?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

So, to compare an iMac the way they do with one power cord, and one USB cord (for the keyboard/mouse) with a PC with a tangle of cables at the back is misleading.

No kidding! Apples are less cluttered than most other computers, but I'm sitting here with every USB an all but one FW port on my iMac used, along with 2 of 4 USB ports on the hub I have tucked behind it, along with the enormous tangle of associated wires. Printer, keyboard/mouse, APC (USB), FW backup drive, and the hub itself, plus an Ethernet cable to and from the home LAN router and DSL modem. Not to mention leaving a port on the back open for my iPod or joystick/gamepad, which won't work on the free port on the keyboard. (the USB 1.1 ports on the old Pro keyboard are underpowered)
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

The Authorized Apple Service guy who replaced the Super Drive in my iMac G4 under AppleCare took about 30 minutes altogether to disassemble and reassemble the iMac, and about 2 minutes to swap the actual drive out. He also voiced his opinion that the 'Sunflower' iMacs 'look cool' but he 'hates' to work on them. Your point was?

You made the point quite well. The tech's 'hate' sounds more like 'I hate to get up in the the morning', not the full on frothing at the mouth hatred expressed by the previous poster.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

That's a lot to say, I am puzzled by the verbosity.

I think it's the challenge of it, Apple's products are notoriously hard to get into.

Allow me to be more direct. From my perspective, there is a dichotomy.

Here is how the scavengers (et tu) doing the post mortem seem to think of themselves for having done the "notoriously difficult task of disassembling an Apple product" (seeing as how it is so difficult and all):

This, on the other hand, is how they seem to me:

Seeing as how two pictures should be worth two thousand words, you need no longer be puzzled.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

Allow me to be more direct. From my perspective, there is a dichotomy.

Here is how the scavengers (et tu) doing the post mortem seem to think of themselves for having done the "notoriously difficult task of disassembling an Apple product" (seeing as how it is so difficult and all):

This, on the other hand, is how they seem to me:

Seeing as how two pictures should be worth two thousand words, you need no longer be puzzled.

What? Is your point that you think Kodawarisan is stupid or some uncultured mongrel? Is that really something that's hard to say briefly or simply? It's not that a complex of an idea.

Anyway, I really don't see the problem.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't necessarily agree with Meh 2s conclusions, but I would like to say that I find his posts to be smart and eloquent (which I suppose is another man's "verbose").

Just because someone elects to think a bit about the motivations and public persona of the folks doing teardowns doesn't make them pointlessly elaborate-- and the trophy fish guys vs. Nipper the RCA dog is actually pretty funny, in a slightly obscure sort of way.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't necessarily agree with Meh 2s conclusions, but I would like to say that I find his posts to be smart and eloquent (which I suppose is another man's "verbose").

Just because someone elects to think a bit about the motivations and public persona of the folks doing teardowns doesn't make them pointlessly elaborate-- and the trophy fish guys vs. Nipper the RCA dog is actually pretty funny, in a slightly obscure sort of way.

The problem I had was that it was written in some snide tone, and I don't know what the hell "demantling" is. If you are going to be snide and uppity in your language, you might as well try to use words that exist.

In effect, all I read out of it is "I don't give a damn how things work or how things are put together, and I look down on people that do".
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

The problem I had was that it was written in some snide tone, and I don't know what the hell "demantling" is. If you are going to be snide and uppity in your language, you might as well try to use words that exist.

In effect, all I read out of it is "I don't give a damn how things work or how things are put together, and I look down on people that do".

JeffDM - let me apologize to you. English is not my first or even my second language. I don't know you and did not realize you were the one in the photographs. I did not mean to besmirch your good name.

Also, I only have an out of date OED to rely on as for the word "demantle" and I could easily be wrong - I suppose you are more familiar with the American version "dismantle." I speak English in the manner of those from whom I learned the language. I am studying the manner in which you express yourself and obviously I have a way to go before achieving your economy of word and thought.

Again, I apologize for any confusion my poor English has caused you.

Have a great day.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    I'm sorry about that, that was something I didn't realize. In that respect, you did very well. I was the jerk here.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

I'm sorry about that, that was something I didn't realize. In that respect, you did very well. I was the jerk here.

Not at all. Please do not feel that way.

Your country (I assume you are a U.S. citizen) is a wonderful thing - and one of the most beautiful things about it is that you feel free to express yourself - even if later you recant and change your mind. Other countries do not have this freedom of expression.

I read a book about a year or two ago called "The world is Flat" by T. Friedman - in it he proceeded to expound on how America is going down because other countries are getting a toe-hold on educational parity with the cross-section of U.S. schoolchildren in international tests like TIMMS.

What I think Mr. Friedman misses - which he would because he is an American citizen and may therefore be too close to see it - is that these other countries may have greater trained numbers of schoolchildren but what they do not have is freedom of expression. This alone seems to unlock the creative part of the mind that is so expressive and good with what is at the heart of America. You imagine what others dare not conceive. That alone will see you come out on the good end of things - that and the faith you seem to secretly possess.

I do not find in your national anthems any reference to America being the nation of the smartest or best at math contests. What I do find is the true saying - that America is the land of the free and home of the brave.

And that last part - brave and free - as Robert Frost said - "makes all the difference."
  • Reply 38 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ^ geez, get a room you two.

Back to the iMac, is there a way to tell when it's actually asleep now? The flashing light is a characteristic of all the Mac models. How do you know when it's off and when it's asleep?

Also I've heard the magnet for the remote was moved to the front-right of the machine. It seems a bit silly to me if they did that. Maybe you could shove a strip magnet into the remote itself and it would attach anywhere to the machine? Or do magnets not stick to the kind of metal they use?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Back to the iMac, is there a way to tell when it's actually asleep now? The flashing light is a characteristic of all the Mac models. How do you know when it's off and when it's asleep?

Good question. If there is no visual display then I guess you hit a key on the keyboard or click the mouse.

Quote:

Also I've heard the magnet for the remote was moved to the front-right of the machine. It seems a bit silly to me if they did that. Maybe you could shove a strip magnet into the remote itself and it would attach anywhere to the machine? Or do magnets not stick to the kind of metal they use?

I had heard that there is no longer a magnet so that the remote does not stick to the iMac at all. If so, I might be tempted to attach the remote to the back via velcro.

If nobody answers either question then I will let you know later this week when mine arrives.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Aluminum is non-ferrous, therefore non-magnetic. Apparently they have done away with the magnetic attachment for the remote...