Disgruntled Apple Fans UNITE !

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auslander View Post

No, I'm just saying, as others have, that the iMac might not be the best choice for gaming or graphics-intensive work. That area is covered by other models. No argument here - just pointing out the fact.

It's fine for day to day internet, sending email, chat, and many other things of course, and will probably be a resounding success as a result.

In my life I have used computers to do a lot of things. I have produced intense mathematical simulations, intricate 3D models & renders for commercial product visualization, graphics-rich magazines, written programs, and more, all on hardware vastly inferior to the current iMac. Modern computers are BEYOND most of our contemporary needs, even those like me who are bona-fide power-users. If you called me a "prosumer," I'd punch you. I hate that term, because it insinuates that the tools make the user. But nonetheless, I produce good work on computers, that work being far more than internet, sending email, chat, etc. You can do that shit on an iPhone, for goodness sake!

When people whine about the iMac having a GPU that can't replicate pan-fried catfish (geek reference), I want to punch them in the face as well. These people are spec whores with little ability. If they had any ability, and legitimately needed a GPU that could, indeed, replicate pan-fried catfish, they'd be able to afford a Mac Pro. Enough said.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

In my life I have used computers to do a lot of things. I have produced intense mathematical simulations, intricate 3D models & renders for commercial product visualization, graphics-rich magazines, written programs, and more, all on hardware vastly inferior to the current iMac. Modern computers are BEYOND most of our contemporary needs, even those like me who are bona-fide power-users. If you called me a "prosumer," I'd punch you. I hate that term, because it insinuates that the tools make the user. But nonetheless, I produce good work on computers, that work being far more than internet, sending email, chat, etc. You can do that shit on an iPhone, for goodness sake!

When people whine about the iMac having a GPU that can't replicate pan-fried catfish (geek reference), I want to punch them in the face as well. These people are spec whores with little ability. If they had any ability, and legitimately needed a GPU that could, indeed, replicate pan-fried catfish, they'd be able to afford a Mac Pro. Enough said.

Why the hell should I buy a Mac Pro to play a few games on the side ?

Im very far from a spec whore, however, I believe in using hardware that has longetivity - hardware which isnt already obsolete. Even more so because when I buy a computer, I use it around 4 years before I get a new one. Thats a long time to spend depressed at your computers terrible performance at gaming.

Have you even seen the incredible suckiness of this card in benchmarks ?

No, not the iMac in general, but the card.

And besides, what ability do you talk of ? Perhaps with professional software you have to tweak your video card, but when it comes to gaming, your card either performs or it doesnt. Here, we have a card which not only doesnt perform, but dies before the starting line.

You state new computers are beyond most of our needs - yes, thats the case if you are talking about average Joe and plain Jane who do nothing of real demand on their computers.

Ignore them however, and you have a huge market for power-users.

...And I want to punch people in the face who tell me to get a Alienware, but I dont usually say it because its rude.

And, Fryke,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Yeah well u have other choices you know. Like, move out of your overly taxed country (17.5% VAT has got to hurt), build an OSx86 Hackintosh yourself, get a playstation, Get a Mac Pro or just don't buy a Mac, or build a Vista PC then you don't have to 'just run OSX". Or maybe stop crying and learn the iMac is consumer home machine designed not for what you are welling up over.

viva la revolution

Since ive taken the time to read your post, can you now take the time to read mine ?
  • Reply 63 of 103
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD View Post

Why the hell should I spend between £2500-£3000 just to have a choice to be able to play games decently and be able to use OSX ?

Yeah well u have other choices you know. Like, move out of your overly taxed country (17.5% VAT has got to hurt), build an OSx86 Hackintosh yourself, get a playstation, Get a Mac Pro or just don't buy a Mac, or build a Vista PC then you don't have to 'just run OSX". Or maybe stop crying and learn the iMac is consumer home machine designed not for what you are welling up over.

viva la revolution
  • Reply 64 of 103
    To hell with it.

In precisely either 3 hours or 72 hours im picking up a...

QX6700

4GB RAM 800MHz

ASUS 8800GTX

P5N32-E

500GB 7200 RPM SATA

(and other peripherals)

Uber L33T haxxor computer for £1,200.

Im tired of Apple dictating what hardware I will be using year, after year, after year, after bloody-year. Im picking up this beast, going to run hackint0sh on it.

This disgruntled Apple fan has lost faith in Apple.

No doubt none of you actually care, but I thought I would point it out anyway.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    Quote:

...they'd be able to afford a Mac Pro. Enough said.

The issue isn't affording the Mac Pro. The issue is -- why endure having to house a huge, empty, heavy box? The same identical components can be stuffed into a small cube, they've done it before and should do it again.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

To hell with it.

QX6700

4GB RAM 800MHz

ASUS 8800GTX

P5N32-E

500GB 7200 RPM SATA

(and other peripherals)

Im tired of Apple dictating what hardware I will be using year, after year, after year, after bloody-year. Im picking up this beast, going to run hackint0sh on it.

Why not just wait for Mac Pro revisions, coming next?
  • Reply 67 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Why not just wait for Mac Pro revisions, coming next?

I could, but ive already been waiting 2 years for Apple to launch a computer to fit my needs. Im tired of waiting. I want it now.

Also, a Mac Pro kitted for my needs will cost about £2700, while delivering probably only somewhat (15% ?) superior performance.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

To hell with it.

QX6700

4GB RAM 800MHz

ASUS 8800GTX

P5N32-E

500GB 7200 RPM SATA

(and other peripherals)

Enjoy it.

You will be back though.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

To hell with it.

QX6700

4GB RAM 800MHz

ASUS 8800GTX

P5N32-E

500GB 7200 RPM SATA

(and other peripherals)

ive already been waiting 2 years for Apple to launch a computer to fit my needs. Im tired of waiting. I want it now.

Good choice. Is it a tower or are you building your own miniature computer? I'm sick and tired of waiting too and I would love to do the same but I don't want a noisy tower.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    Quote:

Ok, a lot of us are unhappy at the update to the iMac.

We all know the choice of GPUs in the new iMac is appaling and insulting, to put it lightly.

For those that dont know, here, a benchmark just for reference:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3023&p=11

Apple seems to have give the iMac a very nice CPU update, but TOTALLY CRIPPLED the computer when it comes to 3D intensive applications by choosing the NOTORIOUSLY poor-performing ATi HD 2000 series, which seems like a very bizarre decision on their part (political, perhaps ?)

Also, quite a few of us are less than pleased with Apples choice to make glossy screens mandatory. Hell, I myself want a matte screen for more reasons than one.

However, just moaning about it on forums wont get us far -

here, follow this link, and take your complaints up to Apple.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=338795

This way, if they get enough complaints, they may make a update.

Its not impossible - remember that the 7600GT was added as a CTO to the previous iMac.

Please, also, pass this on to any other people you know are not happy with the update.

IF WORK TOGETHER, WE CAN ACHIEVE SOMETHING !

Easy solution: buy an old iMac. If you don't like it - don't buy it. Your power lies in your wallet.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Paying close to $3000 just play a game a decent framerate is completely unreasonable to ask.

When someone has a passion for something, they usually find a way to afford the requirement for entry into the activity. Get a part time job if necessary and then buy whatever it takes to play.

m
  • Reply 72 of 103
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

When someone has a passion for something, they usually find a way to afford the requirement for entry into the activity. Get a part time job if necessary and then buy whatever it takes to play.

this baffles me every time I hear it. Do you people not listen or what?

What it takes to play is a sub-$1000 mid-tower Mac with a $200-300 graphics card (under $1500 total anyway). Apple don't offer it. It's not a case of the buyer not having what it takes in this instance but the seller. When you see benchmarks of the iMac against the Mac Pro playing games, they come out about the same so you can plainly see that the graphics card is the most important component and they are pretty poor in both offerings. It's ridiculous to suggest people should spend so much on a tower whose extra CPU horsepower make very little difference to the gaming performance.

It's also not very practical for people who maybe take their computer to LAN gaming tournaments due to the extreme bulk. A small lightweight tower would be ideal and not just for Mac gamers either, I'm pretty sure that a lightweight expandable machine would be a hit with Linux and Windows people too.
  • Reply 73 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

this baffles me every time I hear it. Do you people not listen or what?

It's also not very practical for people who maybe take their computer to LAN gaming tournaments due to the extreme bulk. A small lightweight tower would be ideal and not just for Mac gamers either, I'm pretty sure that a lightweight expandable machine would be a hit with Linux and Windows people too.

Linux and Windows people can build their own machines already. What do they want with a Mac.

If you are into professional competition gaming, you aren't using a Mac anyway so what's the fuss?
  • Reply 74 of 103
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Why the hell should I buy a Mac Pro to play a few games on the side ?

Im very far from a spec whore, however, I believe in using hardware that has longetivity - hardware which isnt already obsolete. Even more so because when I buy a computer, I use it around 4 years before I get a new one. Thats a long time to spend depressed at your computers terrible performance at gaming.

You are completely a spec whore. What games can't you play? Secondly, Apple doesn't care much about gamers. End of story. They are a tiny part of the overall market. Most money in video games is in consoles and portables, and the next biggest chunk is in games like "the sims," if I remember correctly. The part of the video game community that worries incessantly about frame rates is a minority share of one of Apple's minority markets.

Why don't you come out and just say that you want a cheap tower mac? That's ultimately the point, isn't it? For you to hate the iMac is like for me to hate on women's fashion trends. Ultimately, I have an opinion, but I'm not part of the market. You're not part of the iMac market. You never were, and probably won't be for some time. Your opinion doesn't count.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Yes, Apple could easily make a Mac for gamers. They could also easily slash several hundred dollars off most of their Macs just to cut us breaks at the expense of their margins. There's no reason to believe at this point they have the slightest interest in doing either.

Apple really only caters to creative professionals. Otherwise, they try and make products with mass appeal. It is their philosophy. Will this ever sink in with anyone looking for the $300 UberMac?
  • Reply 76 of 103
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You mean a small, lightweight tower like this?

Are you serious about somebody taking a Mac to a LAN event, no matter how powerful it is? At least 75% of Mac games won't network with their PC counterparts. (thanks again for Direct Connect, Microsoft! )

Apple likes to fill niches that nobody else can fill like Apple can: the Pro towers for the AV professionals, the home user AIO market (name one AIO other than the iMac off the top of your head), portable devices, etc. There are many companies that make small, relatively quiet gaming rigs, Apple just chooses not to be one of them.

That said, I'm still very disappointed the GMA950 is hanging around...it stinks even for casual gaming. There is something wrong when my 4 year old iMac G4 with a GF4MX can put out similar frame rates in UT2K4 as a Core2Duo MacBook or Mini.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    Quote:

You are completely a spec whore. What games can't you play? Secondly, Apple doesn't care much about gamers. End of story. They are a tiny part of the overall market. Most money in video games is in consoles and portables, and the next biggest chunk is in games like "the sims," if I remember correctly. The part of the video game community that worries incessantly about frame rates is a minority share of one of Apple's minority markets.

Why don't you come out and just say that you want a cheap tower mac? That's ultimately the point, isn't it? For you to hate the iMac is like for me to hate on women's fashion trends. Ultimately, I have an opinion, but I'm not part of the market. You're not part of the iMac market. You never were, and probably won't be for some time. Your opinion doesn't count.

What games cant I play ?

Oh no, I can run the games, but unless im going to reduce everything to lowish settings, im going to be having a slideshow.

And I...ach, screw it. Whatever. Go find someone else to insult and anger since im gone 'neyway.

---

Marvin + msantti - thanks.

Its actually a computer a enthusiast made at my local PC shop for sale, so he made it.

As for noisiness, I will check that out actually - Ill PM you if it isnt, and tell you what the fan im using is.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Hold your breath just for one sec...

The peops over at macrumours are suggesting that the imac contains the Mobility HD 2600 XT from looking at various hardware scans. The Mobility HD 2600 XT is said to be better then the Desktop 2600 Pro Apple claim to be in their imacs.

Take a look, although yet its still in speculation.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339616
  • Reply 79 of 103
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

What games cant I play ?

Oh no, I can run the games, but unless im going to reduce everything to lowish settings, im going to be having a slideshow.

And I...ach, screw it. Whatever. Go find someone else to insult and anger since im gone 'neyway.

---

Marvin + msantti - thanks.

Its actually a computer a enthusiast made at my local PC shop for sale, so he made it.

As for noisiness, I will check that out actually - Ill PM you if it isnt, and tell you what the fan im using is.

If what you want is gaming then it makes sense to get a pimped out PC and game your little thumbs off. Then, once the things starts driving you crazy for other reasons, maybe at that point there'll be a mac that will be just as good for gaming and not too expensive. You can sell your PC on craigslist for $8 and move back to the chocolaty goodness of the mac.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by griffin View Post

Hold your breath just for one sec...

The peops over at macrumours are suggesting that the imac contains the Mobility HD 2600 XT from looking at various hardware scans. The Mobility HD 2600 XT is said to be better then the Desktop 2600 Pro Apple claim to be in their imacs.

Take a look, although yet its still in speculation.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339616

whatever is in there, it seems to kinda suck.

http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firs...arks/index.php