Radeon® 9600 Pro PC/MAC RoHS 256MB AGP a good upgrade?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I keep going to the ATI site hoping the higher end Radeon X800XT MAC Edition or the Radeon 9800 Pro would be available, but they haven't been now for months....maybe more.Now I'm considering the Radeon 9600 Pro version since those two don't seem to be available for my Powermac G5 1.8Ghz(single processor)....would this be a good step up from the stock NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra-64MB DDR that I have in my mac right now? Maybe I should try to find the other two online somewhere else?

I'm from Canada, so shipping from the U.S could be a problem...duties, that kind of thing, and some sites don't ship to Canada, so what would you do? Go with the Radeon 9600, or try to find one of the two higher end cards. Will any of these three improve the performance of games, and 3d apps, or is that more dependant on the processor which as I mentioned is the first version of the G5 at 1.8Ghz?

I don't use Professional 3d programs, but I do use: Poser 7, Bryce 6,Hexagon 2, and Amorphium 3...will I see a difference when using these programs, or am I wasting my money? Thanx for any info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jgbxjgbx Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strubcube View Post

I keep going to the ATI site hoping the higher end Radeon X800XT MAC Edition or the Radeon 9800 Pro would be available, but they haven't been now for months....maybe more.Now I'm considering the Radeon 9600 Pro version since those two don't seem to be available for my Powermac G5 1.8Ghz(single processor)....would this be a good step up from the stock NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra-64MB DDR that I have in my mac right now? Maybe I should try to find the other two online somewhere else?

I'm from Canada, so shipping from the U.S could be a problem...duties, that kind of thing, and some sites don't ship to Canada, so what would you do? Go with the Radeon 9600, or try to find one of the two higher end cards. Will any of these three improve the performance of games, and 3d apps, or is that more dependant on the processor which as I mentioned is the first version of the G5 at 1.8Ghz?

I don't use Professional 3d programs, but I do use: Poser 7, Bryce 6,Hexagon 2, and Amorphium 3...will I see a difference when using these programs, or am I wasting my money? Thanx for any info.

That card would be a major upgrade to what you have now. I'm having issues finding cards for my dual 2.5 G5 but the current 9600 pro that came stock with the machine works pretty well until an x800 is available. eBay is always good to look at, but for some reason they are fetching upwards of $400.