Briefly: MacBook Pro software, iTunes widget, iPhone ads

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has released a software update for the recently-introduced line of MacBook Pro notebooks in addition to a new iTunes widget that users can embed in their blogs. Meanwhile, two new television adverts for the company's iPhone have turned up on the Apple.com website.

MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1

Released late Thursday, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1 [14.7MB] provides important bug fixes and improves stability with Motion 2 and Motion 3. The update is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro owners.

MyTunes Widget

Separately, Apple also released a complimentary new iTunes widget dubbed My iTunes:

"iTunes is giving you an effortless way to keep your friends up-to-date with your favorite music, TV shows, movies, and more," the company explained. "My iTunes widgets are simple, self-updating add-ons for your web page, social-networking profile, or blog."

iTunes users can use My iTunes to share their top reviews, favorite artists, and new music, movies, and TV shows from the iTunes Store with anyone who visits their website site.

My iTunes widgets can also be customized by size or style and embedded on any Flash-enabled website, including most blogs and social-networking profiles. iTunes users can also use the My iTunes feed with any standard RSS or ATOM feed reader.

New iPhone ads

Meanwhile, two new iPhone ads -- titled 'Instead' and 'Amazing' -- have cropped up on Apple's website in recent hours. As noted by MacNN, both spots depicts an iPhone in the hand of an actor as the narrator offers subtle suggestions to potential cellphone buyers.

"Here's an idea," Apple suggests in the first ad. "Instead of carrying an iPod and a phone, why not carry an iPod with all your favorite music and your favorite movies in your phone?"

The second spot, Amazing, details the iPhone's built-in YouTube support as well some of the more standard features. "It's amazing what fits in a pocket these days. Your favorite music, all your email, today's newspaper, endless entertainment, and of course a phone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Separately, Apple also released a complimentary new iTunes widget dubbed My iTunes:

"iTunes is giving you an effortless way to keep your friends up-to-date with your favorite music, TV shows, movies, and more," the company explained. "My iTunes widgets are simple, self-updating add-ons for your web page, social-networking profile, or blog."

iTunes users can use My iTunes to share their top reviews, favorite artists, and new music, movies, and TV shows from the iTunes Store with anyone who visits their website site.

My iTunes widgets can also be customized by size or style and embedded on any Flash-enabled website, including most blogs and social-networking profiles.

Excerpt from a future phone conversation: "What music do I like? You're on an iPhone, just hop over to my website and check out what My iTunes widget has listed. Oh wait, you've got an iPhone...no Flash. Never mind. Well, the music I really like is...."

Quote:

New iPhone ads

Meanwhile, two new iPhone ads -- titled 'Instead' and 'Amazing' -- have cropped up on Apple's website in recent hours. As noted by MacNN, both spots depicts an iPhone in the hand of an actor as the narrator offers subtle suggestions to potential cellphone buyers.

"Here's an idea," Apple suggests in the first ad. "Instead of carrying an iPod and a phone, why not carry an iPod with all your favorite music and your favorite movies in your phone?"

Answer: Because with just 8 gigs of storage maximum (probably even less than that actually available but no one's mentioned any actual numbers), the iPhone could carry neither all of my favorite music nor all of my favorite videos, let alone both at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...As noted by MacNN, both spots depicts an iPhone in the hand of an actor as the narrator offers subtle suggestions to potential cellphone buyers....

Wouldn't an easier way to say this be "they're more of the same annoying ads Apple's put out already"?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

"Instead of carrying an iPod and a phone, why not carry an iPod with all your favorite music and your favorite movies in your phone?"

Another answer: because it's not available in my country.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Another answer: because it's not available in my country.

Aw, snap!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Excerpt from a future phone conversation: "What music do I like? You're on an iPhone, just hop over to my website and check out what My iTunes widget has listed. Oh wait, you've got an iPhone...no Flash. Never mind. Well, the music I really like is...."

Of course there is no iTunes Store widget on the iPhone either... I suspect Flash might come to the iPhone before the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    bauchbauch Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Answer: Because with just 8 gigs of storage maximum (probably even less than that actually available but no one's mentioned any actual numbers), the iPhone could carry neither all of my favorite music nor all of my favorite videos, let alone both at the same time.

Sorry to break it to you, but I don't see other phones around in the US with 8GB of storage. miniSD is only now just up to what... 4GB?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bauch View Post

Sorry to break it to you, but I don't see other phones around in the US with 8GB of storage. miniSD is only now just up to what... 4GB?

That's true, but those other phones also aren't suggesting I could carry around ALL of my favorite music and movies on them.

Just as a side note, I went into an Apple Store a couple of weeks ago to play with an iPhone...in the iPod section, I noticed there were an awful lot of albums being displayed in the Coverflow mode. When I actually went into the songlists for them I understood why. There was only one or two songs per album.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Both "new" iPhone ads were on the Colts v Cowgirls game last night on fox
  • Reply 9 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

• Reply 10 of 17
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Yeah I saw the "Instead" ad last night on ABC and could only think that the iPhone needs a little more storage to be touting that you could store your music, videos, and pictures on there.

I would bet the real reason 3rd party apps are not allowed, besides the SDKs are not ready, is a storage issue. Think of all the other things besides your movie files that take up space. Youtube videos count as well. That native 3rd party app needs to go somewhere on that iPhone, hence the Web 2.0 stance.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I would bet the real reason 3rd party apps are not allowed, besides the SDKs are not ready, is a storage issue. Think of all the other things besides your movie files that take up space.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything other than movies/videos that take up that much space. I have huge (multi-Gigabyte) e-mail and photo archives, but in that case, it's thousands of messages/photos. I don't need all those on a phone. iCal on my Mac is like 28MB, Address Book 22MB, Firefox 50MB and the data files I have for iCal/Address Book are less than 1MB. You could store quite a few applications with data before you get to the size of one movie.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything other than movies/videos that take up that much space. I have huge (multi-Gigabyte) e-mail and photo archives, but in that case, it's thousands of messages/photos. I don't need all those on a phone. iCal on my Mac is like 28MB, Address Book 22MB, Firefox 50MB and the data files I have for iCal/Address Book are less than 1MB. You could store quite a few applications with data before you get to the size of one movie.

Well, when the iPhone becomes more of a corporate use phone and Apple let's the 3rd party app players in you'll see a plethora of Office viewers offered for the iPhone. Of course if you have the viewers then you'll be getting the attachments and those add up in size depending on the amount of embedded objects.

With a 3.5" widescreen view, I'm sure some 3rd party gaming company will come out with a first person game utilizing the touch screen for control and containing many short movies to move the plot along. Those kind of games have a big footprint.

Safari add-ins, when allowed, supporting Real Player, Flash, Acrobat, Java, and etc. will also add to the game.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Ouch.

Anyway, I didn't notice that AAPL is down to 125, back down to a level that it was in early July.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Well, when the iPhone becomes more of a corporate use phone and Apple let's the 3rd party app players in you'll see a plethora of Office viewers offered for the iPhone. Of course if you have the viewers then you'll be getting the attachments and those add up in size depending on the amount of embedded objects.

With a 3.5" widescreen view, I'm sure some 3rd party gaming company will come out with a first person game utilizing the touch screen for control and containing many short movies to move the plot along. Those kind of games have a big footprint.

Safari add-ins, when allowed, supporting Real Player, Flash, Acrobat, Java, and etc. will also add to the game.

I can understand the others, but Real Player? Are they still in common use? I would much rather that Apple improve their PDF software than have Acrobat. Apple's Preview app is the first thing that I saw that caused me to think that Macs were worth a second look.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can understand the others, but Real Player? Are they still in common use? I would much rather that Apple improve their PDF software than have Acrobat. Apple's Preview app is the first thing that I saw that caused me to think that Macs were worth a second look.

Some sites require Real Player to view. Our local government videos all their town meetings in Real format only. I should probably write them to change that.

Acrobat is a major resource pig indeed. You're right, the iPhone would be better suited with an improved Apple PDF viewer.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:

MyTunes Widget

My iTunes widgets can also be customized by size or style and embedded on any Flash-enabled website, including most blogs and social-networking profiles. iTunes users can also use the My iTunes feed with any standard RSS or ATOM feed reader.

Has anyone else found this interesting? Apple, who previously had been touting the Web 2.0 Experience with stuff like Ajax and clever Javascripting as well as making a point on NOT having Flash anywhere on their site, all of a sudden not only do they have Flash on their site, but have added a Flash Widget. This is quite something. Sounds to me like Apple and Adobe have been having some talks lately. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the next few software updates for the iPhone that a less battery-hungry Flash plug-in will be coming.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Has anyone else found this interesting? Apple, who previously had been touting the Web 2.0 Experience with stuff like Ajax and clever Javascripting as well as making a point on NOT having Flash anywhere on their site, all of a sudden not only do they have Flash on their site, but have added a Flash Widget. This is quite something. Sounds to me like Apple and Adobe have been having some talks lately. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the next few software updates for the iPhone that a less battery-hungry Flash plug-in will be coming.

It may very well be that Flash compatibility isn't ready yet, I hope that's the case. For some things, Flash is the best and easiest way to do something. The stock history tracking on Google's finance pages doesn't seem a realistic thing to do with any other mature web technology. I really like the hit tracker in Shopify, though I can't show that off so easily. In order to best a flash app, it seems like Apple's had to resort to making client-side software.