Best TV for a College Student

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I wasnt sure if I should post this question in GD or in AppleOutsider so I apologize. I need a Tv for my dorm at college. It cannot be too large as space is restricted and I really dont want to spend a huge amount of money on an LCD,DLP, or Plasma set. I would like a flatube or some other slim set. What brand names are most reliable and have good customer service? I have been looking at some Toshibas and some Samsungs but am not sure as to how respectable these brands are. Any advice or reccommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've got a little 14" Toshiba that's great. It's even got component inputs on it, though I don't know that it's sold anymore as it only has an analog tuner. Whatever you do, get one with a digital tuner.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Thanks for the advice. I plan on playing my 360 through it so Im looking at a 20 inch at least. I think 20 would be the ideal size. Im still not sure on the brand tho. Im thinking Samsung.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    If you're going to get a tube, I suggest Sony. They have by far the best tube televisions on the market. Some of them look just as good or if not better than some LCD's out there.

However, Samsung is also a great brand. I've bought two. Most recently, I purchased a 61" DLP Projection, and I have to say, I'm extremely impressed.

I wouldn't suggest a tube tv, but if you really want one, go Sony.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Fuck the TV.

College is perhaps the only chance you will ever have of being able to go without television.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Fuck the TV.

College is perhaps the only chance you will ever have of being able to go without television.

I don't know about that, but you do raise a good point:

Get a DVR. Read that sentence again. If you want to watch TV in college, you're going to HAVE to time shift the programming or having a TV will be pointless. Record a bunch of crap during the week and then watch it during the weekend or when you have a free block of time.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Im not really planning on watching TV but movies and playing video games. My room gets cable but it really wont be used that much by me. Im just looking for a tv with a great picture(not necessarily HD) for around $200-$300. LCD would be good. I was looking at a Polaroid 19 inch at walmart but I wasnt sure how durable an off brand would be. It certainly is cheaper than an LG or a Sony 20 inch. Also I definently dont want an integrated DVD or VHS player.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Why ask for advice if you're just going to go to Walmart?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tiptontipton Posts: 54member
    Use TVShows app to automatically download shows, then you can watch whenever you want. Or, get one of the Elgato EyeTV products and use your computer as a DVR. Either way, watching TV on your computer will save space in your room.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I recently moved, and have had a seriese of nightmeres with Comcrap and directv so as a result, I have an antenna as my only source of content: and honestly, it isnt that bad. I miss the DVR but I get The Daily Show on iTunes, so other than sports on ESPN/NFLN/BigtenNet, All i really miss is Countdown on MSNBC...

and having an extra $70 in the budget every month is nice too, particularly in college.

I get 6 HD, and about 22 sd digital OTA channels in Indy, (including the tube, which is GREAT, think MTV in 1984 when they acctually played MUSIC) you will get even more if you live near a really big market. (the one downside is TBN DT...6 channels of church services...)

Unless cable is free/included, get a $50 amplified antenna from Radioshack and build a Mythtv Box

PS: GET A NETFLIX ACCOUNT IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE...nuf said

update: I just read that you have basic cable in your room, but I still recomend having an antenna on hand. Cheap rabbit ears costs $10 and if your new set is HD, the PQ on OTA HD is BREATHTALING...a must have for football saturday/sunday
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

the PQ on OTA HD is BREATHTALING...a must have for football saturday/sunday

I wholeheartedly agree. Although you don't get all those fancy cable/sat shows that people like, you can't beat FREE high-definition OTA programming.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I wholeheartedly agree. Although you don't get all those fancy cable/sat shows that people like, you can't beat FREE high-definition OTA programming.

It is great to get hi def abc nbc cbs and fox without having to pay for 22 nickelodian 11 diznee, 4 lifetime, and all of the other "digital tier" on cable...it is a great name thow because I shed a tear every time I paid for the digital delivery...

I never liked PBS...untill I saw PBS HD...now I watch it more than the networks...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My brothers made it through college with old, used projectors. Pretty cool and you can usually find suprisingly cheap ones if you look hard. (Less than TV's) Heck, we got one someone was throwing away 8-9 years ago and it still works.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Why ask for advice if you're just going to go to Walmart?

That is the plan as of now but I am asking to see if anyone can suggest otherwise.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Fuck the TV.

great points.....TV....TV.... i didn't need no stickin TV

i'm paying big bucks for something....college i can get TV free down the hall

priorities man.... priorities

besides with a macbook and hulu youtube et al...... who needs it.

so to answer the question.....the best TV is someone elses to share with you
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Or buy a 22-24" monitor that has HDMI. You'll get a lot of homework done on the big computer screen with the flexibility of connecting your PS3

Amazon has a few for under $300