Best fully bus-powered 250 - 350GB Firewire 800 external hard drive on the market?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
That's right, I'm looking for a Firewire 800 hard drive which doesn't need to be plugged into a wall socket to work. As in, "fully bus-powered". It needs to be between 250-350GB in size, preferably 300 or 320GB. And it's going to be accompanying a 320GB new iMac, so a matching design would be a welcomed bonus.

Again, the main thing I'm really, really, really looking for here is fully bus-powered (no wall plug needed), and firewire 800.

Thanks in advance, you emerald friend

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Take a look at the LaCie 320GB Little Big Disk

Bus powered, of course, triple interface, tiny, quiet, and very well reviewed. Kinda pricey for the size on account of the 2.5" drives, but that goes with the (bus powered) territory.

Or, you could always pick up a bus powered enclosure and drop in some drives of your own and save a few bucks. OWC has some good ones, as does Wiebetech, which are excellent but more money.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Hold on, maybe forget about the bare enclosures-- to get the size you want you need 2 drives properly arrayed, and I'm not aware of any multi-drive enclosures on the market (which isn't to say they don't exist).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I would definitely have to recommend the Western Digital MyBook Pro. It's triple interface and I'm almost positive it's bus powered, however don't quote me on that. I swear I saw the 320GB version on Apple's store not to long ago, but can only seem to find the 500GB version at the moment.

Well anywho you can find it here.

And I also found one at the Apple store next to my house, so if there's an Apple store near you, I'd recommend checking that out.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott.S View Post

I would definitely have to recommend the Western Digital MyBook Pro. It's triple interface and I'm almost positive it's bus powered, however don't quote me on that. I swear I saw the 320GB version on Apple's store not to long ago, but can only seem to find the 500GB version at the moment.

Well anywho you can find it here.

And I also found one at the Apple store next to my house, so if there's an Apple store near you, I'd recommend checking that out.

As far as I know the MyBook uses 5.25" drives, which pull too much current to run bus powered.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's right, I'm looking for a Firewire 800 hard drive which doesn't need to be plugged into a wall socket to work. As in, "fully bus-powered". It needs to be between 250-350GB in size, preferably 300 or 320GB. And it's going to be accompanying a 320GB new iMac, so a matching design would be a welcomed bonus.

Again, the main thing I'm really, really, really looking for here is fully bus-powered (no wall plug needed), and firewire 800.

Thanks in advance, you emerald friend

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MS8U5250GB8/

Comes with the best chipset available and would be my choice for what you're looking for.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Agent911 View Post

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MS8U5250GB8/

Comes with the best chipset available and would be my choice for what you're looking for.

Nope. That enclosure takes a single, 2.5" drive, OP wants 300 or 320GB. Such drives are just now barely available, have slower rotation speeds and wind up being more expensive than just getting the LaCie.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Take a look at the LaCie 320GB Little Big Disk

Bus powered, of course, triple interface, tiny, quiet, and very well reviewed. Kinda pricey for the size on account of the 2.5" drives, but that goes with the (bus powered) territory.

That looks like exactly the thing I'm looking for, it is a bit pricey, but I may swallow that price. Only problem is Amazon.com or .co.uk wont deliver it to Ireland, and Lacie.com is out of stock
  • Reply 8 of 11
    It's on Apple.com (Ireland), but the bastards have it priced at €399. Yes, that = $546
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

That looks like exactly the thing I'm looking for, it is a bit pricey, but I may swallow that price. Only problem is Amazon.com or .co.uk wont deliver it to Ireland, and Lacie.com is out of stock

Hmmm...... then you might want to take a look at the G-Raid Mini. They're hardwired Raid 0 to get the large capacity (as are the Lacies).

Very well regarded, but even pricier than the Lacie. Although, from their website, they are 15% off through the end of the month which brings the 5400rpm 320GB model to at least within shouting distance of the Lacie.

OTOH, they do offer some real advantages over the Lacies, such as forced air cooling, which may improve longevity (although it means not quite as quiet, as well), and the Oxford 924 bridge chip.

So the choice would be between somewhat better, somewhat nosier performance for more money, or dead quiet for less money with somewhat worse performance and possible longevity issues.

Personally, what with the stuffing of two drives into a small enclosure I'd take a little noise over more heat.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Addabox, it's a bit cheaper and in stock here, I may go for this.

The 5400RPM drive on the G-RAID mini would no doubt be noticeable slower too.

The G-RAID mini is beautiful looking though.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Addabox, it's a bit cheaper and in stock here, I may go for this.

The 5400RPM drive on the G-RAID mini would no doubt be noticeable slower too.

The G-RAID mini is beautiful looking though.

Cool. I'm sure that will work great for you.