Really big files, tiny phone

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just got a new phone today and the backgrounds on it are terrible. I have a nice picture I would like to use but it's too big for the phone to read. Is there a way to compress a photo in OSX? If not,I was wondering if anybody knew of a good free photo compressing application. I looked at StuffIt but I don't want to buy anything I'm going to use maybe twice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    open it in preview and go to export. Select jpeg, or the only one i tested but others probably work, then go to options. Where it says target file size enter the number of bits you want it to be and then click ok.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you very much. I have wondered why Preview has been missing this feature. Turns out I'm just dumb. Haha.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

open it in preview and go to export. Select jpeg, or the only one i tested but others probably work, then go to options. Where it says target file size enter the number of bits you want it to be and then click ok.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing an export option anywhere in Preview. Would you be willing to give me a more detailed explanation?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing an export option anywhere in Preview. Would you be willing to give me a more detailed explanation?

File > Save As...

Choose JPEG and reduce the quality. If the photo you have is a bitmap or a camera raw file you should see a significant reduction of the file size.

If the photo is too big to fit on a modern phone you should probably be thinking of reducing the dimensions of the image instead. After all, the screen resolution of most phones is barely better than 640x480.

GraphicConverter or any other shareware image editor should do the trick.