wireless internet crashes computer?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
heads up: newbie.

I just got my MBP last friday, and have loved everything about it. everything was working perfectly and life was great. then, today I boot up and do my usual tasks (iTunes, Safari, AIM, etc.) and roughly 5-10 minutes later a transparent gray screen scrolls down and a dialog box pops up that says "you need to restart your computer. blah. blah. hold down your power button. blah. blah." fine, whatever, stuff happens. I do as commanded and assume the problem is over. no, it happens again. this time I send a report to Apple. strike two. try again. same deal. then I start thinking, just got new internet...is it possible for it to be incompatible with the wireless router or anything? everything works fine when I either have AirPort turned off or am connected to a neighbor's network, but not my own. I was going to take it into the apple store, but figured I would check here first for any suggestions. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Have you phoned Apple Support?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    no, but I googled it and found a thread about it on the apple support website. apparently macs and 2wire routers are not the best of friends. I just had to alter the wep key and now life is fine and dandy once again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djembedude View Post

heads up: newbie.

I just got my MBP last friday, and have loved everything about it. everything was working perfectly and life was great. then, today I boot up and do my usual tasks (iTunes, Safari, AIM, etc.) and roughly 5-10 minutes later a transparent gray screen scrolls down and a dialog box pops up that says "you need to restart your computer. blah. blah. hold down your power button. blah. blah." fine, whatever, stuff happens. I do as commanded and assume the problem is over. no, it happens again. this time I send a report to Apple. strike two. try again. same deal. then I start thinking, just got new internet...is it possible for it to be incompatible with the wireless router or anything? everything works fine when I either have AirPort turned off or am connected to a neighbor's network, but not my own. I was going to take it into the apple store, but figured I would check here first for any suggestions. thanks in advance.

Open wireless network connections will not cause the kernal panic, nor will most WEP connected sessions. When using WPA2 you have a very good chance of a kernerl panic within 5 mintues of connection.

Apple has done a piss poor job of supplying drivers for these cards.

It is a known issue in the MBP community for those of us that connect to the most secure networks.

Enjoy reading this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....tart=0&start=0