iPhoto '08 events seem to be a big buggy

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i previously had all my photos stored in manually created albums. the new events feature seems to be a nice automatic way of doing the same thing, however on install and update of my albums, iphoto has gone a bit funky. i've got a lot of photos that don't show up, or just show up as the empty dashed boxes \

i wonder if it has anything to do with me using iphoto diet in the past.

eitherways, a bit irritating. anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    I upgraded and everything seems to be ok.

EDIT: I've alse used iPhoto diet in the past, btw.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    basically i've got a helluva lot of double on my photos now. seems like my events have doubles as well. the key photos for some events don't show up, but using the size slider can bring them back (sometimes temporarily)

i've got a backup of my library, so perhaps i should experiment with that
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Hmm... that sure is strange. What are your machine's specs?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    well i've been re-importing and repairing the library. i'm on a macbook, very recenty version. particularly rebuilding thumbnails might be helping, but i'm still concerned there are photos that aren't showing up...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Curious if iPhoto '08 loads much faster with events, rather than having to load thousands of thumbnails ?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Curious if iPho[to] '08 loads much faster with events, rather than having to load thousands of thumbnails ?

It does load faster with Events.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

It does load faster with Events.

How much faster, would you say x2 or x3 ?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    So are Events just "Rolls" renamed, with an icon?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    i think i've solved the problem although i may have dumped a few photos along the way. i was getting quite a few photos with no icons showing up at all, but when i tried to edit them i still got nothing so there's a chance they were bum photos even though i tried rebuilding the library including thumbnails...

looking into my actual iphoto library folder it looks quite messy. i have a lot of "Originals Copy x" folders... is this normal? i guess i shouldn't really worry too much about what goes on under the hood
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

So are Events just "Roles" renamed, with an icon?

Yep.

They've also added a way to merge and split rolls (events) now. And of course there is the addition of skim.

Isn't it amazing how many people weren't using rolls to organize their photos in iPhoto? Maybe with their reworking into "events" more people will make the transition. It boggles the mind that anyone would have not used rolls in the first place though. Were they really that hard to find or comprehend?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Isn't it amazing how many people weren't using rolls to organize their photos in iPhoto? Maybe with their reworking into "events" more people will make the transition. It boggles the mind that anyone would have not used rolls in the first place though. Were they really that hard to find or comprehend?

I live by rolls; it's the only way I could effectively organize all of my photos without bogging down my system. Rather than events, though, I organize by Family, Cities, Landscape, etc...

Skimming appears like an upgradable feature all by itself.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    i used to organise by manually created albums, which used to be made from each roll because (as apple have worked out) every photo upload was based on an event where i took my camera
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Yep.

They've also added a way to merge and split rolls (events) now. And of course there is the addition of skim.

Yes and no, depending how often you synced your camera, rolls were created by default by import sessions, and events are created by date. If you empty your camera infrequently, you can have pictures in a roll that were snapped months apart from completely different venues. Not that dates are any more accurate way of categorization.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    New iPhoto is way better than the old version. New iWeb is also way better. Cool.