Macbook redesigned???!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering...as i'm new...you probably get this all the time but would really love some feedback and opinions of others.

I read from an unknown site of a macbook redesign in the next update in ocotber/november... is this true?

I REALLY want to buy a macbook sooner rather than later...but if its redesigning it...i'd rather have new than old!!!

GRRR @ apple updates

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    IF i buy a macbook now...does it come with ilife 08'???

as it doesnt state it yet on the website>!!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    MacBook will not be redesigned until atleast 12 months, but Santa Rosa CPU upgrade possible.

Steve says all the new Macs with iLife 08, so if you buy new MacBook, i think you will get iLife 08 as well
  • Reply 3 of 30
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I expect we'll see an updated MB in Oct/Nov with the Santa Rosa treatment. I don't know if it'll have an appearance update or not.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    When MacBook goes to Santa Rosa?

---------------------------

after seeing iMac specs (and lots of whining about combo drive in the old imac)

MacBook low end model will go to Super Drive and Graphic card for all the models?

if apple plays card correctly remove white mac book from the line, all black three different model.

even ATI 2400 XT upgrade could be sweet for all the macbook models.

holiday season starts in october?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    13.3" MacBook

$1099

1 GB RAM (one single module)

80 GB HDD

2.0 Ghz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

IG

$1299

120 GB HDD

2.2 GHz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

ATI XXXX

$1499

2 GB RAM

160 GB HDD

2.4 Ghz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

ATI XXXX

all in black version, any chance by holiday season?

add bly-ray and higher HDDs to MacBook Pro to differentiate these two models.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

13.3" MacBook

$1099

80 GB HDD

2.0 Ghz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

IG

$1299

120 GB HDD

2.2 GHz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

ATI XXXX

$1499

2 GB RAM

160 GB HDD

2.4 Ghz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

ATI XXXX

all in black version, any chance by holiday season?

add bly-ray and higher HDDs to MacBook Pro to differentiate these two models.

I doubt dedicated graphics in the MBs. I wish there was an expresscard slot but that's unlikely too.

Vinea
  • Reply 7 of 30
    True True True...thanks for the feedback...

What IS santa Rosa processor?

Significant change?

Will the next update be SIGNIFICANT to what you get now...?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle91ROI View Post

True True True...thanks for the feedback...

What IS santa Rosa processor?

Significant change?

Will the next update be SIGNIFICANT to what you get now...?

For the average user Santa Rosa is nothing major. As far as performance one won't notice any difference at all between a Santa Rosa C2D and a non-Santa Rosa C2D. It's all a small update.

Other than that I don't believe that the Macbook will be changed at all this year. There is a tiny chance that the two expensive versions of the macbooks get a better GPU unit but that is unlikely and won't matter at all since it will most likely not be powerful enough to run demanding games.

Simply put I think you should buy a Macbook now because there's not really anything exciting around the corner.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Kyle, any chance you could turn down your signature a couple of notches ?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    things exciting in upgraded MacBooks

1. one single module 1 GB RAM (or people like me will be struck with 1 GB, i want to upgrade to 2 GB but do not want to waste 2 x 512 MB or the hassle of selling it and replacing with 2 x 1 GB modules)

2. super drive in the low end model

3. GPU - this may or may not happen ever

4. C2D santa rosa is cheaper compared to merom for similar Ghz Speeds, it works for Apple and as well as highly loyal customers
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

$1499

2 GB RAM

160 GB HDD

2.4 Ghz C2D Santa Rosa

Super Drive

ATI XXXX

Ummm... do you realize that what you are describing is a high end macbook pro that costs around $2500?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    what i am asking is the specs for $1499 if it is same as MacBook Pro then MBP should be upgrade to Blu-Ray and 250 GB HDD
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

For the average user Santa Rosa is nothing major. As far as performance one won't notice any difference at all between a Santa Rosa C2D and a non-Santa Rosa C2D. It's all a small update.

Other than that I don't believe that the Macbook will be changed at all this year. There is a tiny chance that the two expensive versions of the macbooks get a better GPU unit but that is unlikely and won't matter at all since it will most likely not be powerful enough to run demanding games.

Simply put I think you should buy a Macbook now because there's not really anything exciting around the corner.

Jeez, another one.

The Santa Rosa chipset includes the GMA X3100 which is lots faster than the current GMA950 in benchmarks, offers h/w T&L and vertex shaders which the 950 doesn't and a bit faster than the ATI X600 even without the drivers from Intel everyone has been waiting on.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...&sort=3dmark06

Going from 170 to 479 in the benchmark is major and I really wish folks would stop giving bad advice.

That said, game support is still spotty without the final Intel drivers and may still be spotty even then but there's no Santa Rosa MB or Mini at the moment either.

Here's the Thinkpad X61 thead about games with the X3100:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=9187

I dunno when they are going to update the MacBook but it will be a welcome update to an already fine machine. The X3100 should be adequate for light gaming above what the current MacBook can do...and the list of games that run on the current MB isn't as horrid as you might expect.

Vinea
  • Reply 14 of 30
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I highly doubt a "redesign" of the macbook will be next. But they should update it in Oct/Nov,

Here is my "wish list"....

1) Dedicated Graphics chip

2) Santa Rosa

3) um thats pretty much it. :-)

And I know someone will say, why not get a macbook pro....but I travel alot...and prefer the smaller 13 inch size of the macbook.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I highly doubt a "redesign" of the macbook will be next. But they should update it in Oct/Nov,

Here is my "wish list"....

1) Dedicated Graphics chip

2) Santa Rosa

3) um thats pretty much it. :-)

And I know someone will say, why not get a macbook pro....but I travel alot...and prefer the smaller 13 inch size of the macbook.

3) Expresscard Slot.

Of course that would exactly BE a 13" MBP. Which if they're going to do they should just do 11" MBP at a MBP price and leave the MB with Santa Rosa and X3100. An expresscard slot would STILL be nice though...

Vinea
  • Reply 16 of 30
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I guess everyone has their preferences.

But an 11" or even a 12" macbook pro would be too small screen wise for me.

And the current 15" macbook pro is too big.

For me the sweet spot is the 13" macbook. Its the perfect size. I'd just prefer slightly better features close to what I mentioned above in the next update.

But regardless I will get whatever they come out with. Because I will need one when I will be travelling abroad at the end of the year.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the MacBook would be a perfect laptop if:

A. More svelte. Trim the fat around the edges. Make it lighter and tighter.

B. Had the option of a matte display.

Other desirable options would be the addition of an express card slot as aforementioned and a dedicated graphics card.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    No need to re-design the MB; it sells like hot cakes even without Santa Rosa.

Any reference to a redesign is either discussing the future upgrade to Santa Rosa with it's faster graphics and increased Max RAM or the MacBook Nano (which will not replace the MacBook).
  • Reply 19 of 30
    My preference is to see Apple work on the ultra lite MBP first, hopefully delivering it when Leopard is released.

An upgrade of the MB to Santa Rosa is about the best I think we'll see for the line. If Intel does some price cutting on their chips then that should hold up another year until a newer (minor) design change comes around.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I'll bet they go SR and update the graphics in early September, so they can reduce their stock of older models during the back to school rush.