iMac memory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recently, a member asked if it was okay to put a 2 GB memory stick in the open bank of the new iMac. I think that was the question. I can't recall the thread.

Apple charges $150 for a 1 GB stick, but Kingston sells a 2 GB stick for $141 - a much better deal. I haven't checked out other stores.

Since the iMac comes with a 1 GB stick, I assume it doesn't have to be balanced. Therefore, I assume it would be okay to put a 2 GB stick in the empty bank. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i have a 24 inch (white one) with 3 gigs(1 plus 2). works great. i bought 2 gig from crucial for about 150$.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Thanks, gdog.

I wonder if the following is true using Vista on an Intel Mac.

ZDNet

Ed Bott

The Vista RAM puzzle: Is 2GB enough?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=282

If you run Linux or Windows (any version) in one or more virtual machines on the same PC, you?ll hit that 2GB ceiling sooner rather than later. In that case, you need extra RAM. You also need to join the second group and go to 64-bit Windows Vista, which can actually use all that RAM (with 32-bit Windows versions, you can only use roughly 3GB of RAM, regardless of how much is physically installed).