Review: Apple 24-inch iMac (aluminum)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    I haven't seen the new iMac in life, i will keep my thoughts about the gloss and the black band to myself.

But people keep coming back to the same point. In designing new computers apple has a total approach, very different from other companies. They make design choices from the start with far going implications for the hardware possibilities in the end. Ordering options are limited, even worse some product classes don't even show up (midtower). As design choices in the (near) past has been very succesfull (iPod, iMac, Macbook), it's strange to see such a limited product line. It has been pointed out that limited models mean limited factory lines and less general costs and more profit per unit. But who will guarantee apple will keep on guessing right and deliver the next best thing? Isn't it very dangerous for future profit to rely on such a small product choice? And will this arrogant (we'll decide for you) attitude not fire back? If they really want to be ahead of the pack, why don't they put blue ray drives in their new imacs? And why don't they compare themselves with true competition instead of Dell's low budget model?
  • Reply 22 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Yes, AI gets it wrong yet again...

There IS a magnet exactly where macfanboy says it is; please correct your article.

-=|Mgkwho

I'm trying it right now and it just isn't happening.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

I beg to differ. Target Disk Mode is still the best and most straight forward way. I doubt you could do it via USB 2.0 at the moment, and gigabit means the older Mac will need to have a working OS that can do file sharing - rather messy.

If TDM supports Firewire 800, even better!

I think it would be more likely for people to have a 6pin to 6pin Firewire cable than it would be to have an A to A USB 2.0 cable. Most people have A to B or A to mini USB cables.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    I always crack up at the reviews about iMacs that mention professionals being disappointed with them for some reason or another. Any professional knows that the iMac line is for consumers and will be going the obvious Mac Pro route.

roog
  • Reply 25 of 137
    The 24" iMac is really seen as a prosumer device.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

So you're saying that even if you're running under Rosetta, it's worth the upgrade? My wife needs to upgrade her current PowerMac G4 MDD (867Mhz x 2) machine, but uses Photoshop & CS2 extensively - which would run in Rosetta.

I've been trying to work out what kind of speed change she would receive by migrating. Best I can come up with is that if she bought the base model (2.0 Ghz) she'd be slightly faster (20%?). 2.4Ghz would be proportionally faster of course.

(Naturally, when she upgrades to CS3 she'll see a performance jump).

If she runs CS2 under Rosetta, she will find a slowdown with a number of operations.

I'd recommend waiting until MacWorld in January, if she can, depending on her other uses for the machine.

I would imagine that we might see Penyrn then, as well as a better gpu.

Penyrn will be out in a couple of months, possibly three at most. By the time Apple intro's machines in January, it could be in them

We may have some surprises then.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

One reviewer found that theirs didn't stick either. They called Apple who said it should and is sending them another remote. So ... go to an Apple store and try it there and see what happens. Of course you'll have to convince them to help you since I'm sure they won't let a remote out of their sight.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

If you are spending the money, go with the new 24" and upgrade the RAM yourself while ordering the best CPU and HDD you want to afford. Leopard won't cost that much and won't be necessary to wait for.

As far as GPUs go, I am quite displeased with Apple as Jobs touts that Macs are for your digital Life. Well if we are processing this much HD, would not a very powerful GPU be needed? If not for HD, then for the sheer amount of video/photos.

Disclaimer: I am on a G5 at the moment. Things have had to improve, but for the price, why not allow the option to upgrade? Or would this put the iMac too close to the Mac Pro?

Am I upgrading? YES! Does the iMac fall short of expectations? YES! Does iLife 8 fall short of expectations? YES!!

Rich

http://richgetz.com

The gpu is perfectly fine for HD.

Even the built-in graphics of the 950 in the Mini and MacBook is perfectly fine for HD.

Better cards are only required for playing higher end 3D games, or running polygon intensive 3D programs such as Shake, etc.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Design, the Glossy Display and the Apple Keyboard

... For the average home user more interested in watching movies or presenting a slideshow, the effect is striking ... In a properly-lit room, reflections are still a fact of life ...

Unfortunately, there are signs that Apple is headed down a questionable path for its design choices. In his press event announcing the iMac, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs claimed that customers "loved" glossy displays; we respectfully disagree. The benefits it provides are useful primarily under controlled lighting and for marketing the system in a store. If your home has bright spot lighting that can't be moved or you're a professional who has to judge color accuracy on the fly, the gloss could be troublesome and a potential deal-breaker. Apple should have at least offered matte screens on some models or as a custom option.

I do not think the average home user is primarily or only using their iMac to watch movies in a dark room. Office and classroom situations (I have taken several classes which used iMacs and had large windows directly behind the students -- can we say Major Light Reflection Source) have windows and lights and this new GLOSSY only likely will cause issues and problems.

But I do agree, thankyou, as you go on to say that the glossy design decision is "questionable". I'd go further and say they made the wrong choice. What Were They Thinking!

Reflections cause eye-strain, and attention loss, at least in my case.

Yes, they should offer a non-glare option. I have posted to Apple Feedback asking for that.

BTW, do you notice if the 24" has better color and viewing angle than the 20", as it allegedly uses a different higher quality screen type.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I believe the remote will only stick in the black frame area surrounding the screen. It definitely won't stick to aluminum.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I agree. Who has a USB A to A cord?!? Consumers are more likely to have a firewire cord from an external hard drive. Or if they are forced to buy a cord, a firewire cord is far more likely to be utilized in the future than a USB A-A. Gigabit Ethernet would be a resonable option however. My original Quicksilver PowerMac circa 2001 even has Gigabit. Even 100Mb eithernet would work relatively well. If it works well enough to stream content to an AppleTV, it should be able to transfer a user profile profile in a fair amount of time.
  • Reply 32 of 137
    I've owned one for almost a week now and the new iMac is great. Really great.

The glossy screen makes pictures and videos look fantasic. Super clear and crisp.

Glare is no issue either. I don't have any lights shining toward the screen but direct sunlight hits mine for a short time around mid day and it still looks fine. Much better than my old matte iMac in fact, that used to sit in the same spot.

I was a little puzzled by the black band around the screen at first, but it actually makes the screen look brighter and hides the rest of the machine from view.

I think once people actually get a chance to see it they are going to want it. Everyone that has seen mine, which includes many PC owners, does.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    Quote:

Choosing aluminum has lightened the system

Uh, no it has not.

Previous 24-inch iMac -- "Weight: 24.7 pounds (11.2 kg)"

New 24-inch iMac -- "Weight: 25.4 pounds (11.5 kg)"

The new one is HEAVIER.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    I understand the new iMac slightly disappoints übergeeks but is still an amazing improvement over anything from the PC world and better than the one it replaces ?

Can't quite grasp why the tone of the reviewer reads somewhat picky, then...
  • Reply 35 of 137
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I believe the remote will only stick in the black frame area surrounding the screen. It definitely won't stick to aluminum.

This has been hashed out at some length on various discussion sites.

The official Apple word is that the remote isn't designed to stick-- the guy who said he had an Apple employee tell him otherwise is either mistaken or was talking to an Apple employee who was misinformed.

With a lot of careful poking around, it is possible to get the remote to stick to the screen bezel. That's because the glass is held in place with magnets, one of which is in the lower right hand corner.

You could also get your remote to stick to a desktop speaker, if you tried hard enough, since that also has a magnet in it, but that doesn't mean that's what Apple had in mind.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't miss the sleep light one bit and I never understood the point of it aside from looking cool. If the computer is asleep, it's asleep and you can tell that by the screen being off. Why do we need a glowing reminder? I don't need a Tamagotchi pulsing in front of my computer making my bedroom glow at night.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

I understand the new iMac slightly disappoints übergeeks but is still an amazing improvement over anything from the PC world and better than the one it replaces ?

Can't quite grasp why the tone of the reviewer reads somewhat picky, then...

I actually think the review is pretty dead-on, and that 3.5/5 is a fair score.

The fact that there is not an option for a matte display is reason enough to knock one full point off, especially considering that this design decision alone is enough to be a deal-breaker for many users who would've otherwise purchased one. Regardless of the positives that the new iMac has going for it, glossy is not an option for folks who rely on true-color accuracy, and/or those who will be in rooms with windows or overhead lighting.

The other cons mentioned warrant at least another .5 point to be taken from the score..

5 stars would mean a perfect machine, and though the iMac is "good," it is by no means "perfect."

Personally, I am one who falls into the category of the glossy display being a deal-breaker.. Other than that, the iMac is perfect for my needs and I was all set to buy.. I really hope that a future revision will begin offering matte as a BTO option.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Uh, no it has not.

Previous 24-inch iMac -- "Weight: 24.7 pounds (11.2 kg)"

New 24-inch iMac -- "Weight: 25.4 pounds (11.5 kg)"

The new one is HEAVIER.

Thanks for the weight comparison. I was looking for that on another thread.

The new one has a glass panel which is adding some weight.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    Regardless of specs, the new all aluminum case is beautiful and the article writer is wrong.

The thinner lighter frame is high tech, up to date and outstanding.

I think the price, considering the monitor in included, is fine but I would like to see it dropped $200 on the line for school purchases by parents, not in school that want to buy at scholastic discounts for their kids.
  • Reply 40 of 137
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Adjust the white balance on that camera