Briefly: On last minute iMac and iPhone design changes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not it at all, as you should know.

The more SKU's Apple has, the more it add to the cost. If Apple offer both, then it migh have raised the price by $50.

Why do you think Apple puts cheap gpu's in its machines? To save a few bucks.

And yet they managed to offer choice on the 'Books, without raising the price.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And yet they managed to offer choice on the 'Books, without raising the price.

How do you know what the price would have been?
  • Reply 43 of 114
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    I know I may just be a cat, but I think the logo should have been like the one on the Cinema Display, a nice innocuous brushed alluminum logo that bubbles up from its surroundings.

The screen would have floated better without the black apple beneath it. Perhaps the haste with which they needed to make the change clouded their judgement.

The silver logo didn't neccessarily have to be a mirror; it could have been silver matte so it's there but not so prominent, elegant in its understatement.

I don't think it is that big of a deal, actually. It's just that given Apple's usual "MOMA" design standards, it seems a little jarring.
  • Reply 44 of 114
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

That's not it at all, as you should know.

The more SKU's Apple has, the more it add to the cost. If Apple offer both, then it migh have raised the price by $50.

Why do you think Apple puts cheap gpu's in its machines? To save a few bucks.

$50 for handling another SKU number sounds like a lot. Why would it be more than $5?
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Quote:

How do you know what the price would have been?

Because they were offered at the same price points as the models they replaced? Like pretty much Apple always does?
  • Reply 46 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I know I may just be a cat, but I think the logo should have been like the one on the Cinema Display, a nice innocuous brushed alluminum logo that bubbles up from its surroundings.

The screen would have floated better without the black apple beneath it. Perhaps the haste with which they needed to make the change clouded their judgement.

The silver logo didn't neccessarily have to be a mirror; it could have been silver matte so it's there but not so prominent, elegant in its understatement.

I don't think it is that big of a deal, actually. It's just that given Apple's usual "MOMA" design standards, it seems a little jarring.

I agree. I also think that the nice square edge of the aluminum would be more apparent if the black border on the screen was muted.
  • Reply 47 of 114
    I think the design decision process went like this:

--Jobs wants the outer case to be a solid piece of aluminum, so he can have his material du jour plus the seamlessness he craves.

--Therefore, the screen has to be inset, somehow.

--So carve an inset into the block of aluminum, and use a sheet of glass to make the screen surface perfectly flush with the surrounding case.

--Glass is glossy

--That's good, right?

--But now we have to attach the glass somehow.

--Friction and magnets! Genius!

--But now we have to cover up the magnets and the edge of the aluminum inset, which we can see through the glass.

--We can't put a real bezel on there, that'll screw up the flush front surface.

--Paint the perimeter of the glass black (or put on some kind of appliqué, whatever).

--Make the black perimeter just big enough to cover up the edges of the aluminum and the magnets. Meh, looks kind of tacked on.

--Make the perimeter bold! It's a design statement!

Serve to a grateful world.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    Quote:

--Jobs wants the outer case to be a solid piece of aluminum, so he can have his material du jour plus the seamlessness he craves.

--So carve an inset into the block of aluminum, and use a sheet of glass to make the screen surface perfectly flush with the surrounding case.

--Glass is glossy

--That's good, right?

--But now we have to cover up the magnets and the edge of the aluminum inset, which we can see through the glass.

--Paint the perimeter of the glass black (or put on some kind of appliqué, whatever).

--Make the black perimeter just big enough to cover up the edges of the aluminum and the magnets. Meh, looks kind of tacked on.

I would of liked to see the magnets and tne inset.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    the iphone and the new imac are great products but they are ugly,and not as attractive or drool worthy as the products they replace, the plastic white imac is a non recycleable item my ass.

and with this idiotic imovie "iclip" software i really hate apples direction latley...

mac is becoming windows/and pc yuck.
  • Reply 50 of 114
    I kind of don't buy the news. How could apple change the surface material of iphone at the last two weeks. it's impossible.
  • Reply 51 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

$50 for handling another SKU number sounds like a lot. Why would it be more than $5?

It's a matter of having two shunts off the assembly lines, two different boxes, or at least two labels slapped on that wouldn't needed, or someone smacking something on the box to designate which was which.

Then there must be the stocking of two different units, without knowing how many of each will sell, etc.

Apple went through this with Best Buy with the original colored iMacs. Two colors were selling well, and the others weren't. BB wanted to order whichever models were selling better, and order less of the ones that weren't. Apple insisted of buying equal numbers of each color. BB said "No thanks", and stopped selling Apple products.

As warehouse and shelf space costs money, how would you allocate space for each model? What if you were wrong?

If some damage that glass front, Apple will have to carry two versions, taking up more space, and costing more.

This costs money up and down the entire line.

It could cost MORE than $50.
  • Reply 52 of 114
    Quote:

I don't know why they went for glass.

Was it purely for style, or was there something else?

But, it does make it easy to change the glass.

Jobs claimed that it was to make it look good, but it's pretty much impossible to tell that the iMac has glass on it; it just looks shiny. He also claimed that the glass is highly recyclable (which I'm sure was to please the nature-protection groups).

I personally think that Apple getting hammered for not having as high of a recycling rate at other computer companies is ridiculous because I know that a ton of Mac users keep their old computers, they don't just throw them away. I have a Macintosh Classic II sitting on my bookshelf that I never use, but I'm not going to throw it away. I don't know any PC users that put their old Windows boxes on their bookshelves to look at on a daily basis.

And with the mirrored Apple logo... I have an eMac that has a mirrored Apple logo in the same place that it would be on the iMacs, and when using the computer, I cannot see myself in the mirror. Maybe it would be possible to see your reflection on the iMacs, but in order to see myself on the eMac, I have to slouch over and look directly at it.
  • Reply 53 of 114
    Quote:

Because they were offered at the same price points as the models they replaced? Like pretty much Apple always does?

No, that's not true. Apple often lowers the price of the newer models, like they did here with the new iMacs.

So, if the price was the same, that could have been one reason why.
  • Reply 54 of 114
    Quote:

--Glass is glossy

--That's good, right?

There's no carving of blocks of aluminum. These are stampings.

I do think the way the glass was put on was ingenious though.

The use of magnets allowed them to put the glass on easily, so that a glass suction cup could remove it.

By doing that, they concealed the screws.

But, this makes the case easier to disassemble than people think it is. So, it serves a function other than style, and may even have the primary reason why it was done that way.
  • Reply 55 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I wonder how many of the people who are bad mouthing the design have actually gone over to the iStore and taken a look at them. I think you might be a little too quick to judge.

The design just might grow on you. Without a doubt, this is the best iMac they have ever offered. And the best value as well.
  • Reply 56 of 114
    Quote:

There's no carving of blocks of aluminum. These are stampings.

I do think the way the glass was put on was ingenious though.

The use of magnets allowed them to put the glass on easily, so that a glass suction cup could remove it.

By doing that, they concealed the screws.

But, this makes the case easier to disassemble than people think it is. So, it serves a function other than style, and may even have the primary reason why it was done that way.

Yes, Mel, I realize they weren't literally carving the aluminum block. A figure of speech for my little scenario.
  • Reply 57 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

the iphone and the new imac are great products but they are ugly,and not as attractive or drool worthy as the products they replace, the plastic white imac is a non recycleable item my ass.

and with this idiotic imovie "iclip" software i really hate apples direction latley...

mac is becoming windows/and pc yuck.

Polycarbonate is pretty much non-recyclable. The melting temp is very high, and that brings the cost way up. When it is re-melted, it isn't as good as the original material.
  • Reply 58 of 114
    Quote:

Yes, Mel, I realize they weren't literally carving the aluminum block. A figure of speech for my little scenario.

Well, it was certainly dramatic!
  • Reply 59 of 114
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Very cute, guys, but once it's on, you can't see your reflection.

Very cute yourself, but to each his own and we each may have our reasons for not caring for a glossy screen.

However, his Steveness and crew seemed to have made that decision for us all!

Kinda like the founder of Ford cars and trucks, Henry Ford told is customers regarding his car, "You can have any color your want, as long as it's black!"
  • Reply 60 of 114
    Quote:

Well, it was certainly dramatic!

Exactly! I considered "rip the inset from the living flesh of the aluminum" and "cast an inset from the molten aluminums of creation" but decided to tone it down.