Penryn on November 11

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08...n_xeon_launch/

Penryn (new 45nm Xeons / 1333 Mhz FSB) is being released on 11 November.

Now I am in the market for a Mac Pro - was going to order one in the next few weeks. But with this announcment, one of three things could happen:
  1. Apple could refresh the Mac Pro in November

2. Apple could delay a bit and maybe refresh it at MacWorld in January

3. Apple could delay it to some arbritary time next Spring

Now if it's 1 or 2 above, I may try and get a few extra months out of my PC. If it's 3 above, I would probably just order one now anyway.

What do you think will happen? I can't remember - were the new macbook pros released very soon after Intel offically launched Santa Rosa? Do you think we'll see a new (maybe smaller) Mac Pro case design?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08...n_xeon_launch/

Penryn (new 45nm Xeons / 1333 Mhz FSB) is being released on 11 November.

Now I am in the market for a Mac Pro - was going to order one in the next few weeks. But with this announcment, one of three things could happen:
    1. Apple could refresh the Mac Pro in November

2. Apple could delay a bit and maybe refresh it at MacWorld in January

3. Apple could delay it to some arbritary time next Spring

Now if it's 1 or 2 above, I may try and get a few extra months out of my PC. If it's 3 above, I would probably just order one now anyway.

What do you think will happen? I can't remember - were the new macbook pros released very soon after Intel offically launched Santa Rosa? Do you think we'll see a new (maybe smaller) Mac Pro case design?

OR

4. The iMac gets an update in Jan

Quote:

The company has already said Penryn processors will fit the same thermal envelopes as current Core 2-based chips.

• Reply 2 of 5
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

4. The iMac gets an update in Jan

Quote from Penryn news release: "Some seven Xeon CPUs are listed: the 2.00GHz E5405, the 2.33GHz E5410, the 2.50GHz E5420, the 2.66GHz E5430, the 2.83GHz E5440, the 3.00GHz E5450 and the 3.16GHz X5460. All seven chips operate on a 1333MHz frontside bus."

The iMac may well get an update in Jan, but it won't be Xeon related. Xeons are Mac Pro / XServe material.

Most of these new Xeons seem to be quad core. I wonder will we get an 8 core Xeon - and hence a hexa-core (16) Mac Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    mac pro will update shortly before the penryn release and get the chips early and at higher clock speed... in jan apple will release the long awaited xMac/headless iMac but ppl will flood the forums with complaints as the specs and price don't match their expectations....

only half-joking....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    When is the new intel xeon chip set due? With DDR ECC ram and more pci-e lanes?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Please update macPro's by no later than November!!

I need to upgrade this year so i can itemize this for my tax year deductions!