Memory upgrade for iMac (mid 2007 aluminum)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Thanks. For years, I've wondered which was which.

Sorry to (potentially) confuse you, but I discovered yesterday after writing my post that I was slightly mistaken about something. The explanation for the clock-speed mismatch is as I described (the CPU connects to northbridge at one speed (on the FSB), and the northbridge to the RAM at a different speed (on the Memory Bus)).

However, the names I got a bit muddled. Apparently System Bus is actually synonymous with FSB, not the Memory Bus as originally stated.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sorry to (potentially) confuse you, but I discovered yesterday after writing my post that I was slightly mistaken about something. The explanation for the clock-speed mismatch is as I described (the CPU connects to northbridge at one speed (on the FSB), and the northbridge to the RAM at a different speed (on the Memory Bus)).

However, the names I got a bit muddled. Apparently System Bus is actually synonymous with FSB, not the Memory Bus as originally stated.

No problem. Thanx for the update.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    gvg45gvg45 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Welcome back. Thanks for the input. You and Lundy have convinced me. OWC is the best buy at $229 for

4 GB. Or 2GB at $116.

Could you please provide a link for these prices?

When I check their website, I see 4GB for $269 and 2GB for $134.99.

Thx
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

Could you please provide a link for these prices?

When I check their website, I see 4GB for $269 and 2GB for $134.99.

Thx

Mea culpa. I googled OWC memory and got this site:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/08/08.10.shtml

It isn't OWC's site but an article from MacObserver. From the announcement and reader's comments, I assumed it was factual.

However, checking OWC's site, does indeed show, as you reported, that 2GB is 134.99 and 4GB is 5269. Possibly, they are older prices that were before the new iMac was released.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    CompUSA's ads today show PNY 2GB PC 5300 desktop memory for $74.99 (reg. price - $209.99).

Are there different PC5300 memory chips? Does any PC 5300 work in a computer requiring PC 5300? I'm not sure I'm asking the right question, so if I'm not, please extrapolate.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    These are PNY's prices on their site. It appears that the CompUSA memory is the same, but the ad doesn't say if they are DIMMs or SODIMM's

4GB Kit (2x2GB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Desktop DIMMs \t $259.99

4GB Kit (2x2GB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Notebook SODIMMs \t$249.99

2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Desktop DIMM \t $129.99

2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Notebook SODIMM $119.99

DDR2

FEATURES:

DDR2 is the next generation of DDR memory. DDR2 memory features faster speeds, greater bandwidth, lower power consumption and enhanced thermal performance. Although DDR2 modules are the same physical dimension as DDR modules, the plug-in connector configuration is different and as such DDR2 modules are not compatible with PCs requiring DDR modules, and vice-versa.

PNY manufactures DDR2 memory upgrades rated at PC2-3200, PC2-4200, PC2-5300 and higher. They are compatible with desktop and notebook computers and processors including Intel?s Pentium, Celeron and Centrino, AMD?s Athlon and Sempron Socket AM2 processors, and others. Our upgrade modules are compatible with systems from Apple, Compaq, DELL, Gateway, HP, IBM and over 5000 other systems.

FEATURES:

Lifetime warranty

Free 24-hour technical support

Easy to install
  • Reply 27 of 63
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I, too, ordered the 4 GB from OWC at $269. Even with educator's discount it is a lot less than $603 for it to be installed on a BTO iMac 24". Besides, it will be fun. I haven't upgraded my own memory since Mac 7500 or Mac G4^3 days!
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

These are PNY's prices on their site. It appears that the CompUSA memory is the same, but the ad doesn't say if they are DIMMs or SODIMM's

4GB Kit (2x2GB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Desktop DIMMs \t $259.99

4GB Kit (2x2GB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Notebook SODIMMs \t$249.99

2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Desktop DIMM \t $129.99

2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Notebook SODIMM $119.99

However, another area on PNY's site shows this price: 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM Memory for iMac and MacBook \t $199.99
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

However, another area on PNY's site shows this price: 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM Memory for iMac and MacBook \t $199.99

They are trying to screw over noobs by selling 'apple compatible' ram that is the same as the other stuff for about $60 more.

Also, heard of this thing called 'edit post'?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

They are trying to screw over noobs by selling 'apple compatible' ram that is the same as the other stuff for about $60 more.

Also, heard of this thing called 'edit post'?

Yes, I have. For some reason, I wasn't able to do that. Is there a time limit on editing a post? It was only a few minutes until I came back.

Edit: It's 10:00 am and my last post is still open. I still don't know what happened.

Edit: I tried logging off and logging on again. Still able to edit. ???????
  • Reply 31 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Yes, I have. For some reason, I wasn't able to do that. Is there a time limit on editing a post? It was only a few minutes until I came back.

Edit: It's 10:00 am and my last post is still open. I still don't know what happened.

Edit: I tried logging off and logging on again. Still able to edit. ???????

There's no time limit on editing posts. You have to be signed in for the "edit post" button to show up.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There's no time limit on editing posts. You have to be signed in for the "edit post" button to show up.

What can I say. I just screwed up.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

What can I say. I just screwed up.

Trust me, my friend, you are forgiven-- absolved, even.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I just picked up a gig from Compusa for $40. Works great.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I just picked up a gig from Compusa for $40. Works great.

Did you, perchance, check out the prices for 2GB and 4GB? Was the gig you picked up DIMM or SODIMM.

PNY 's prices were different for the two.

AI: Are the two interchangeable?
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

Are the two interchangeable?

no. .
  • Reply 37 of 63
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

Go on spec, not by brand.

Eeek; not in my experience. Brand is equally important to fussy OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danny Lin View Post

Oh yup, that too. It's things like CL5, etc. that I was trying to get at. So something like this that i found from Kingston.com should work yeah:

KVR667D2S5/2G

Description: \t2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM

Detailed Specifications: \tStandard 256M X 64 Non-ECC 667MHz 200-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL5)

Kingston will tell you that Kingston Value RAM is not suitable for Macs, they sell specific RAM for specific Macs with different part numbers.

I didn't know that in Sep 2005 when I bought 1.5GBs of KVR and suffered weeks of Kernel Panics whilst I scratched my head as to why RAM that matched the specs exactly caused such irregular and severe errors on the iMac.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    This is from Crucial's site. I have edited it somewhat, but it's essentially what Crucial cites.

http://crucial.com/store/listparts.a...0%2824-inch%29

Manufacturer Specifications - Apple iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (24-inch) [This is the only platform I used as a model.]

Crucial Recommends:

US $52.99 1GB CT715178 DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

US $146.99 2GB CT715184 DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

US $293.99 4GB kit (2GBx2) CT717419 DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.* *Not to exceed

manufacturer supported memory.

* Maximum Memory: 4096MB

* USB Support: 2.x Compliant

* Standard Memory: 1024MB removable

* Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDRII memory with support for DDR2 PC2-5300

Because DDR2 memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR2 speeds listed above

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 4096MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

-----------------------

That last statement is vague. I can understand if you were to mix them, but what if you replaced ALL?

Would that last statement hold true? ??????
  • Reply 39 of 63
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i've ordered 4gb from OWC and am expecting it to arrive as early as tomorrow!
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i've ordered 4gb from OWC and am expecting it to arrive as early as tomorrow!

What was the selling price? OWC's site price is higher than the MacObserver's announced price.