New iPhone ad highlights Excel viewer, stocks, Safari (video)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc. this week continued to expand its national television ad campaign for the iPhone, recently adding an eighth spot into the rotation on network television.

The latest 30-second commercial draws particular attention to the handset's built-in Excel document viewer (when viewing e-mail), stock quote widget, and fully-functional Safari web browser.

The dialog of the commercial, which is available for viewing below, is as follows:

"All these years... you've gone through the day without e-mail like this in your pocket. Or stock updates like this in your pocket. Or Internet like this in your pocket. And you survived. The question is, 'How?'"

The new ad arrives less than a week after Apple began airing two similar spots, titled 'Instead' and 'Amazing."

Thus far, all of Apple's iPhone television spots have followed the same general theme, which depicts an iPhone in the hand of an actor as a narrator offers subtle suggestions to the viewer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    The best bit is that all the stocks showing in the widget, including AAPL, are green, showing gains. So I guess the ad must have been filmed a while back!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    "The question is - how?"

That does sound a bit retarded...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    That music track is really starting to irritate me. Why do they have to use the same one for every single ad?

There are some nice features there though. I just wish they'd push the boat out a bit more. It runs OS X and these improvements don't show anything near what it's capable of. One thing I've always hated on mobile devices is not having a filebrowser. If I want to delete a file, I want to see the file on the device, I don't want to find a specific app to manage each file type. Put a Finder on it.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple, bring full Office 2004 to the iPhone and in particular full PowerPoint and Keynote and we will buy tons for our University. Or even better, bring that to the iPod without phone capabilities. In fact, we do not need the phone but the true and full Mac OS X inside! We want the full Mac computer in our hands!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    kevdokevdo Posts: 9member
    Zunx, what's the point of having a full version of MS Office on the iPhone? What are the use cases for Word or Powerpoint? For example, what are you going to use to project the presentation off the iPhone?

I'm not bagging on you, just want to know more about how those would be used.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

The best bit is that all the stocks showing in the widget, including AAPL, are green, showing gains. So I guess the ad must have been filmed a while back!

And here was me thinking they did the ads live!
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That music track is really starting to irritate me. Why do they have to use the same one for every single ad?

To Make you remember to buy an iPhone. To Make you remember to buy an iPhone. To Make you remember to buy an iPhone
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    There's also a new one called "all the parts."

Both are on apple's website.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad8/hd.html

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    ...and where is the part where you can edit the Excel spreadsheet ? Oh wait, you can't.

Personally, this ad style is getting a little stale for me.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

August 6th 2007 at 1:24 PST....seems like forever ago with the AAPL price.

I assume its PST, because it shows the markets closed at the last update, and I think the normal hour market closes at 4:30 EST, but I'm not 100% on this.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There are some nice features there though. I just wish they'd push the boat out a bit more. It runs OS X and these improvements don't show anything near what it's capable of. One thing I've always hated on mobile devices is not having a filebrowser. If I want to delete a file, I want to see the file on the device, I don't want to find a specific app to manage each file type. Put a Finder on it.

The music is getting a little........Teletubbies.

I get that the idea is to register "iPhone ad" even if you aren't looking at it, but maybe its time to break out the beats, or something.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    astroastro Posts: 22member
    (1) Why would you want a full version of Mac OS X, let alone Microsoft f-ing Office on your iPhone - a HANDHELD device. Putting together an entire presentation on that tiny screen with your "whittled" thumbs? Can't wait to edit an entire spreadsheet instead of 4 cells at a time? Who are you people? Hold out for the sub-notebook, or go buy a *cough* tablet PC. This is the product you are looking for. Sorry to say, the iPhone is a mainstream device, and it may not appeal to your specific (seriously, now - Microsoft Office?) needs, whatever they may be.

(2) The repetitive tone. Has a point. You may hate it. But admit, its getting to you, in some way. Perhaps, love it or hate it - you KNOW what the ad is for. Therefore it is a successful ad. If they were to "break out the beats" well, then you'd have an iPod ad, wouldn't you?

(3) WHAT is the deal with the link to the shitty YouTube video? www.apple.com/iphone, much??!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Am I the only one that finds the iPhone commericals to be completely lame and lack personality?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

"All these years... you've gone through the day without e-mail like this in your pocket. Or stock updates like this in your pocket. Or Internet like this in your pocket. And you survived. The question is .::ring::., 'How?'"

Is it answer...

A.) Because last time i checked the ability to view an email while standing on a train was not one of the prerequisites for human survival, maybe just a nice thing to have if you are that way inclined, but certainly not a life or death matter.

B.) I work in Macdonalds and not many people send me spreadsheets.

C.) Because i have email & Internet at work and at home and not being an anti-social twot when i am out i like to communicate with real people not acting like a dick surfing the web in the corner(slowly) while my friends have a real life.

D.) For $2000 bucks over 2 years i could buy a decent notebook and surf the web on that

E.) I have a 3G blackberry and that is much better.

F.) like most people who need spreadsheets, email and stocks on the go i have a corporate job and therefore my phone is part of a corporate package you will have to speak to my IT Manager, Oh wait! you dont do corporate sales do you? Oh well we will stick with our windows smart phones then.

G.) i do have one!! though it is away getting the multitouch replaced at the moment so i have borrowed my mums Razr, so no email or internet for me, shit how will i survive!!!!

Anyway, the point is, is it not a bit early to be marketing the iPhone as something you cannot live without rather than a nice toy for those with lots of spare cash????
  • Reply 15 of 27
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Is it answer...

A.) Because last time i checked the ability to view an email while standing on a train was not one of the prerequisites for human survival, maybe just a nice thing to have if you are that way inclined, but certainly not a life or death matter.

B.) I work in Macdonalds and not many people send me spreadsheets.

C.) Because i have email & Internet at work and at home and not being an anti-social twot when i am out i like to communicate with real people not acting like a dick surfing the web in the corner(slowly) while my friends have a real life.

D.) For $2000 bucks over 2 years i could buy a decent notebook and surf the web on that

E.) I have a 3G blackberry and that is much better.

F.) like most people who need spreadsheets, email and stocks on the go i have a corporate job and therefore my phone is part of a corporate package you will have to speak to my IT Manager, Oh wait! you dont do corporate sales do you? Oh well we will stick with our windows smart phones then.

G.) i do have one!! though it is away getting the multitouch replaced at the moment so i have borrowed my mums Razr, so no email or internet for me, shit how will i survive!!!!

Anyway, the point is, is it not a bit early to be marketing the iPhone as something you cannot live without rather than a nice toy for those with lots of spare cash????

it's a figure of speech.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

it's a figure of speech.

No its not, Its marketing BS.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple, bring full Office 2004 to the iPhone and in particular full PowerPoint and Keynote and we will buy tons for our University. Or even better, bring that to the iPod without phone capabilities. In fact, we do not need the phone but the true and full Mac OS X inside! We want the full Mac computer in our hands!

Yeah... it's almost 2008... I don't see Office 2004 coming out for any new devices made by Apple.

If I'm on a plane and can't reach my laptop and REALLY need to type a letter or report, I'll get out my iPhone, type it into an e-mail, and send it to myself. When I get to my hotel or the airport lobby, I'll open my laptop, get my mail, cut and paste the message in to MS Word and be done with it. I just can't imagine needing to edit something like a word or excel document on my phone.

Sure it might be a neat feature (or trick), but I think a lot of people have those features on their PDAs and very rarely use them. Even the Mobile Windows version of these programs is pretty limited. You still need to deal with formatting and any other issues you might come across going from Mobile to "usable" format. Let's not forget the eye strain you would get from doing lengthy projects on a 2.5"-3" screen.

As for Powerpoint, you can already export a powerpoint presentation to work on the video iPOD and click to change slides. I do it all the time. Keynote looks even nicer, but they both work. Requires some exporting, but that's essentially what you will have to do if you have a mobile version of PPT. As you already know, those files can get pretty big.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. If you want MS Office 2004 on your iPhone, more power to you. I think we're more likely to see some sort of integration with iWork since there is MS Office compatibility.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

No its not, Its marketing BS.

Agreed. Ads that try to make you want something should be illegal.

• Reply 19 of 27
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    ...on whether the sheer number of ads might be indicative that iPhone sales are not where Apple had hoped they would be? I bought one day one and love it, but I know only one other person who has one - price and AT&T seem to be the mitigating factors from the conversations I'm having with friends and co-workers...
  • Reply 20 of 27
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I remember being an uber geek and having a Visor Prism connected to my Motorola Startec phone via a cable and having the mobile internet somewhere around 1999-2000. I didn't "need" it then just as I don't "need" it now but it was cool and gave me real geek cred on the street.

The one thing I do need though and the iPhone has yet to provide is a real ToDo list similar to my Treo 650. I really don't need to view or edit spreadsheets but I really do need a real task list application. Please Apple release a software update soon so I can purchase one of these!

--Dave