Used to use ResEdit, now I'm running X. Help?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I used resedit to toggle the visiblity of folders so I can 'hide' certain things (from my wife!) Now what program will do the same thing in X.1.5? Help plz.

(yes, technically this is Genius Bar type stuff but I really need to know what SOFTWARE to use)

Thx, folks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    Enter the Terminal!

open up the Terminal, from there make sure you are in your home directory, enter this command:

cd <return-key>

then enter this command to make a new directory

mkdir .hidden <return-key>

change hidden to whatever you want, just put a . in front of it.

now in the Finder go to the menu bar Go->Go to Folder...

type in ~/.hidden and click go.

Now that will take you to the folder in the Finder (~/ means your home directory in Unix). Now this isn't perfect because the folder is only hidden in the Finder, not in the Terminal.

What you should do if you really want to make it secure, is give her a seperate account, and make sure that she does not have and privaledges to that folder, just make sure you log out after using your computer.

On a side note, you really shouldn't hide things from your wife
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have *never* used terminal before and don't know jack about it. I was trying to find a GUI program with the same little easy check box to toggle the setting.

I found a program which can do it...but it turns ALL invisible visible and then back again. This uncovers all kinds of freaky OS stuff. Maybe there is a simpler way...

On a side note, my wife is well aware of what I am hiding, but the reason is this. Downloading Gigs and Gigs of Adult content is cool with her, but until I view it, name it, and sort it, she wants nothing to do with it. (some stuff is pretty gross and I act as her filter). By hiding it she doesn't notice it's there and won't start watching it. Hope that clears that up.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Search VersionTracker for a program called xFiles. I believe you can use it to "get info" on a file or folder to change the visible bit.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Brisby:

<strong>I have *never* used terminal before and don't know jack about it. I was trying to find a GUI program with the same little easy check box to toggle the setting.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The directions I gave are quite simple. If you explore the terminal, Unix, you will get oh so much more out of your mac.

If you follow the directions I gave it will do exactly what you want. No shareware needed.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    The terminal is your friend.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>The terminal is your friend.</strong><hr></blockquote>

my mac is my friend.

the terminal is something deep in my friends brain.

and you don't want to see your friends deepest thoughts, do you?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by peve:

<strong>

my mac is my friend.

the terminal is something deep in my friends brain.

and you don't want to see your friends deepest thoughts, do you? </strong><hr></blockquote>

no, but you get to really screw with your friends brain in ways that would astound even God!

You would get to create the thoughts and have complete control over your friend.

That's always fun.