Since the iMac is out, a possible concept of what could have been

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have never done a mockup before, so forgive me if this seems a little amateurish, but the new iMac got me thinking. If Apple wanted to go in the design direction of the iPhone, why not go in that direction instead of doing the iPhone/ iPod Shuffle combo look?

I like the look of the new iMac, but the black bezel puzzles me. FI they wanted to look more like iPhone, there are other ways of accomplishing this. One way is the idea that I am trying to depict in the mockup here. There was one outstanding mockup earlier with multitouch video that was amazing. Since Apple is going a more subdued route, I thought I would offer this thought.

This design is more sensible for the wall mount option of the 24" as well (IMHO).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Thats REALLY cool, and WAY better than what Apple came up with IMO well done!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    That looks quite nice. Losing the aluminium chin for a black one makes a world of difference. There's two many contrasting surfaces in the new iMac and your mockup simplifies it.

If you're going to have a black bezel, make a feature of it!

The other design I'd have liked is losing the black and glass and replacing with an aluminium bezel. This could actually be done to the new iMac. Just remove the glass, add an aluminium frame around the LCD panel.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    zomg!! glass!! reflections!!! whats the GPU?!?! apple is teh devil! the end is nigh!

seriously though, it looks very nice. a couple of iterations into the future, perhaps the imac will actually look similar to that... or maybe not! but if it did, i'd be happy about it. [though the inviso-imac still rules as far as mock ups go!]
  • Reply 4 of 29
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Dope! Well done! Better than the Apple design. Why the heavy dependence on aluminum? I think the new iMacs look too industrial. I prefer a futuristic look, and to me that means glass and high-end plastics. Not metal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

zomg!! glass!! reflections!!! whats the GPU?!?! apple is teh devil! the end is nigh!

seriously though, it looks very nice. a couple of iterations into the future, perhaps the imac will actually look similar to that... or maybe not! but if it did, i'd be happy about it. [though the inviso-imac still rules as far as mock ups go!]

Can you post a link of those 'inviso-imacs'? Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    its a nice idea but please dont get all upset about how apple did not do this. Im sure there is some sort of technical reason for the design, both hardware and manufacturing. Drawing a picture of a flying car is one thing, making it is another.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No offense, i don't normally go out a blazing, but that's ugly.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, I actually prefer the current design. I like the proportions of the Chin, maybe.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

None taken. I admit I am not very good at these things and everyone has a differing sense of style.

This was just a possible design to really capture the iPhone philosophy and to make the 24" unit look more logical when mounted on a wall (which it is capable of doing).

The current Apple design does indeed look good to some, but it doesn't seem to follow any sensible pattern or philosophy. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

The current Apple design does indeed look good to some, but it doesn't seem to follow any sensible pattern or philosophy. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly who's or what philosophy were you referring to?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

But then aesthetics isn't your strong point

still waiting on a reply
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Exactly who's or what philosophy were you referring to?

By philosophy, I mean design philosophy. A guiding principle. Apple has been in a "less is more" style for a few years and the last gen iMac reflects the minimalist style where everything has an integrated look. Sort of purpose built - if it did not have purpose, it was not included. The iPhone breaks with that in being a three toned design with a glossy black on the front, chrome surround, grey/silver on the back with an odd black plastic part on the bottom. there seems to be no real rhyme or reason for this.

With the previous iMac, the entire consumer line had a distinct theme (including iPod).

The pro line had its own theme as well.

the new iMac looks like it sort of wants to look like iPhone, but not. It just seems like it's trying to be too many things while not mastering any certain look. there seems to be no guiding principle. That is all.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

But then aesthetics isn't your strong point.

Being a pain in the ass is yours though.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

rSince Apple is going a more subdued route, I thought I would offer this thought.

(IMHO).

I really like your design. The black chin is better.

BTW, Viewsonic VX2255 Widescreen LCD has a faint resemblance to your mockup even to the built in webcam and an emblem on the 'chin'. Ugly foot though.

http://www.viewsonic.com/HDLife/webcam/
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I really like your design. The black chin is better.

BTW, Viewsonic VX2255 Widescreen LCD has a faint resemblance to your mockup even to the built in webcam and an emblem on the 'chin'. Ugly foot though.

http://www.viewsonic.com/HDLife/webcam/

I love the little quip about "no ducktape required" in this ad.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Being a pain in the ass is yours though.

Well then go answer the question in the other thread tough guy.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    This is definitely cooler.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hockey2891 View Post

This is definitely cooler.

They are pretty similar, odd isn't it, unless Apple come out with some farfetched variant on the "see thru" iMac design or loose the screen altogether in favour of projector/holo-screen type of thing it's difficult to see where they can go other than variations on a theme.

I've always felt the white iMac was pretty cool and close to ideal, but a change was getting necessary, however what they arrived at is danged divisive to say the least, if not down right ugly to a lot of people.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I've always felt the white iMac was pretty cool and close to ideal, but a change was getting necessary, however what they arrived at is danged divisive to say the least, if not down right ugly to a lot of people.

Which means it's also not ugly to a lot of people. That's typically the hallmark of industrial designs: they are polarizing.

I disliked the iMac when I first began to see the photographs. But seeing them in person has wholly changed my mind. They are quite striking in person, and I am not deterred by the reflection. IN the Apple Store I was in, it was lit quite brightly and the reflection was negligible.

In summation; count me in the other camp.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    It's amusing that the new iMac isn't much thicker (or much different in appearance ) than the LCD panel displays being sold now. I wonder if Apple was aware of that when they cobbled up the current design.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    I'm glad there's less plastic. It was starting to look tacky...

The new iMacs look much better in person. Metal wears better and doesn't scratch as much. The gloss isn't really noticable. Its just a shame the stand doesn't adjust in height.