xMac Yes/No?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
No discussion, no details, no specs, no self preferences, no PPC days, No Cube thingy, ....

Just want to see how many think Apple Should release xMac...

xMac aka "mid-range headless Mac" aka "Mac" aka "gMac" aka "Mac Pro Mini Tower"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    bump!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Not for me but yes, it is absolutly needed.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bump !
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bump !
  • Reply 5 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Apple shrinks the next Mac Pro design without compromising it's expandability or feature set, they could offer a basic version (also) without the big graphics cards or mega-fast chips, leaving people the opportunity for people to buy a $999 version and expand to their hearts content.

Question; if the above is true, should I vote yes or no?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    only 24 out of 39,625 members, please vote ...

bump
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bump!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

No discussion, no details, no specs, no self preferences, no PPC days, No Cube thingy, ....

Just want to see how many think Apple Should release xMac...

should release or will release?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

should release or will release?

it is more on the question whether we want to see xMac or just wait and see when apple releases ...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    quit bumping.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I'd quite like to see an official AI poll on this but one that lasts for about a month. I've seen front page polls on other forums that get 10,000+ votes and this is certainly a popular topic. If there were enough unique votes, surely it would count as a petition. I don't like the term xMac though as it's too vague and seems to point to a niche product. 'Mid-range headless Mac' would be a better phrase IMO as it clearly identifies the gap in the lineup.

A simple question like 'would you like to see Apple make a mid-range Mac desktop without a built-in display?'.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple shrinks the next Mac Pro design without compromising it's expandability or feature set

I don't think that that is possible. I love the Mac Pro design. It's a brilliant workstation and shouldn't be changed. What is needed is a totally new mini-tower design that replaces the Mac Mini in the low end and stretches up in price, not a machine that replaces the Mac Pro in the high end and stretches down.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't like the term xMac though as it's too vague and seems to point to a niche product. 'Mid-range headless Mac' would be a better phrase IMO as it clearly identifies the gap in the lineup.

A simple question like 'would you like to see Apple make a mid-range Mac desktop without a built-in display?'.

I don't like the name xMac either, but I think people around here understand that that means "mid-range headless Mac". xMac is much less cumbersome to type and read.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

quit bumping.

nevermind