Elgato Turbo.264 on Yikes PCI

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a Elgato Turbo.264 and a 350/400 "Yikes" G4 Powermac, just wondering what the performance was like?

Reason i ask is that i use a old Yikes as a media server/storage for the rest of my house and is on for a good part of the day. Currently its pointless using it to batch video conversion while its just sitting there as it will likely take about 3 months for a film to complete.

So... if anyone has tried one let me know as all online reviews rate it highly but of course there not using 8 year old bits of kit.

The Elgato website claims: "

11:17 with Turbo254

59:30 without Turbo264

Encoding time in minutes. Test conducted on a MacBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo with QuickTime Player Pro 7.1.5. Test file: 10 minute DV 16:9 clip. Export setting: Movie to Apple TV. "

Anyway any info on this product at all would be appreciated especially on a older Mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roseyboy View Post

11:17 with Turbo254

59:30 without Turbo264

Encoding time in minutes. Test conducted on a MacBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo with QuickTime Player Pro 7.1.5. Test file: 10 minute DV 16:9 clip. Export setting: Movie to Apple TV. "

First, a little rant: Buying the Turbo264 seems pointless if you've a new Intel Mac. Elgato compare the speed to QuickTime, which is pathetically slow. Using x264 via FFmpegX is very nearly as fast but much more flexible.

On to your question: try FFmpegX and see how long it does actually take your yikes! to do what you want. You may find it tolerable (start conversion before going to work, when you get back it's done, or start conversion before going to bed, when you wake up it's done.) Having said that, Turbo264 would definitely give you a massive boost, so would be a good buy if you don't mind the restrictions in exportable formats.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Not having USB2 will be a major hold up on a older model mac. A friend has one on his Mac Pro, did nothing to speed it up, as you would expect really, they are fast as it is.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ok guys thanks for the tips, i currently use Media Fork & Visual Hub for my converting needs on my 2.16 C2D Macbook pro. Someone said that these are wrappers for the ffmpegx coder?

So i will try out a clip today and see how long it takes, but now im curious is the Elgato product just a USB flash stick with a codec and encoding app on it?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

First, a little rant: Buying the Turbo264 seems pointless if you've a new Intel Mac. Elgato compare the speed to QuickTime, which is pathetically slow. Using x264 via FFmpegX is very nearly as fast but much more flexible.

On to your question: try FFmpegX and see how long it does actually take your yikes! to do what you want. You may find it tolerable (start conversion before going to work, when you get back it's done, or start conversion before going to bed, when you wake up it's done.) Having said that, Turbo264 would definitely give you a massive boost, so would be a good buy if you don't mind the restrictions in exportable formats.

Do you know how to get FFmpegX to work with EyeTV? That's my targeted use. EyeTV's export is extremely easy and can be automated, though it is slow. It looks like the T264 product basically plugs into it, and presumably, I just pick the destination device (for me, iPod) and it will do the job
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

now im curious is the Elgato product just a USB flash stick with a codec and encoding app on it?

Inside the USB stick is a hardware H.264 encoder. To be honest, I'm surprised it's not a bit faster than it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you know how to get FFmpegX to work with EyeTV?

Unfortunately not, sorry
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

[...]Anyway any info on this product at all would be appreciated especially on a older Mac

Quicksilver 933 (1.25 GB RAM) here. I get realtime encoding or faster with mine. That's opposed to 2-3 fps [read: regular MP4] with HandBrake. I bought a USB 2.0 card years ago for $19, and the stick is plugged into that.

If you're like me, and aren't ready to buy a new Mac yet, Turbo.264 is a great upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you know how to get FFmpegX to work with EyeTV?[...]

1. In EyeTV, select the 'Reveal in Finder' contextual menu item on the recording in question. That will direct you to the package containing the video file.

2. In the Finder, right-click on the package, and select 'Show Package Contents"

3. The video file is within this folder, with a cryptic filename. There are other files in this folder too, just select the largest file. Drag this file onto FFMPEGX.

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Quicksilver 933 (1.25 GB RAM) here. I get realtime encoding or faster with mine. That's opposed to 2-3 fps [read: regular MP4] with HandBrake. I bought a USB 2.0 card years ago for $19, and the stick is plugged into that.

If you're like me, and aren't ready to buy a new Mac yet, Turbo.264 is a great upgrade.

Thanks Gordy, great info.