Anyone else got a faulty new-iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just bought a new 2.4Ghz 20" iMac. The shop installed an extra gig of RAM and I got it home and set it up fine. I'm taking it with me to my new job, leaving my old iMac at my father's for when I return to his some holidays. For that reason I haven't used the new machine til tonight. First of all it crashed (kernal panic?) with the large RESTART screen. I assumed that as the transfer from my old system had been large maybe I should do a clean install on the system. I rebooted on the Install CD - the system went to the restart screen again. Then it beeped twice again and again so I removed the new memory chip and restarted once more (I also tried with just the new chip in - it prompted the beeps). The original chip didn't but the system then crashed a further 3 times as I tried to do a clean install. I'm very surprised. I've been buying macs and specifically iMacs every 2 years or so since the original graphite iMac. This is the first system to cause me concern in this way. I'm definitely taking it back tomorrow for an exchange. Am tempted just to request a refund.

Anyone else? Or any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I got the extra 1 gig of ram (from Apple) on my 20in iMac and did not have any problems. I think the best advice at this point is to take it back. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

First of all it crashed (kernal panic?) with the large RESTART screen.

Yes, that's a kernel panic.

Quote:

any advice?

Do not be too disheartened. This is not normal behaviour and you clearly got a defective machine. If you can get a refund and then buy a new one with 1 GB of RAM, you should buy the additional RAM from elsewhere. Clearly, since you mentioned swapping RAM chips over, you are capable of installing RAM yourself. Apple's RAM charges are insane; they charge $150 for an additional 1 GB of RAM, whilst newegg are charging $47.99 for 1 GB of DDR2 667 SO-DIMM Crucial memory.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It sounds like a possible RAM problem to me. It happens with new RAM. You'll want to get the same RAM as your Apple RAM #1, and get reputable RAM every time. Bargain RAM is bargain for a reason more times than not.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Just bought a new 2.4Ghz 20" iMac. The shop installed an extra gig of RAM and I got it home and set it up fine. I'm taking it with me to my new job, leaving my old iMac at my father's for when I return to his some holidays. For that reason I haven't used the new machine til tonight. First of all it crashed (kernal panic?) with the large RESTART screen. I assumed that as the transfer from my old system had been large maybe I should do a clean install on the system. I rebooted on the Install CD - the system went to the restart screen again. Then it beeped twice again and again so I removed the new memory chip and restarted once more (I also tried with just the new chip in - it prompted the beeps). The original chip didn't but the system then crashed a further 3 times as I tried to do a clean install. I'm very surprised. I've been buying macs and specifically iMacs every 2 years or so since the original graphite iMac. This is the first system to cause me concern in this way. I'm definitely taking it back tomorrow for an exchange. Am tempted just to request a refund.

Anyone else? Or any advice?

We have opened up about 3 iMac 20" 2.0ghz's so far, 2 for demo units at various shops, so far all ok. One of the iMac screens is slightly flicker-y if you look at it closely, the other one is okay, though not up to graphic-design use standards [see lengthy debate on Apple LCDs, and current UTTER DESOLATE inavailability of the INSANELY IN DEMAND led-backlight MacBookPro 15"s. Apologies for the CAPS, but the LCD situation is indeed, well, interesting, to say the least.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It sounds like a possible RAM problem to me. It happens with new RAM. You'll want to get the same RAM as your Apple RAM #1, and get reputable RAM every time. Bargain RAM is bargain for a reason more times than not.

Yeah, RAM or Motherboard. Here's a trick, take out 1 stick, see what happens, replace with other stick, see what happens. Basically try the computer with only 1 stick of RAM in it at a time. Core 2 Duo motherboards are quite picky with having matched RAM. If your shop installed a different brand, even, of RAM than the original, then you might have to be quite firm (firm, not pushy) and patient with them, if it is a RAM matching issue. One of our shop technicians is currently quite obsessed about exactly matching RAM pairs.