Apple designing 'collapsable connection receptacle' for ultra-portable systems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Where is the cassette player? How will i play my cassettes on this??
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Where is the cassette player? How will i play my cassettes on this??

Buy en external 5.25 enclosure, insert the casette player before and connect it to the laptop via USB and you're good to go.

• Reply 23 of 42
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    I hope Apple never releases a laptop with the ports on the back, like those drawings show.

One of the things I like about my iBook is that I can press it up against the cubicle wall on my desk without fear of pinching any cables. I've seen far too many Dell, HP and Sony laptops with damaged ports because a large cable (like a video cable) got pinched and bent at an unnatural angle.

Play all the games you want with trying to cram ports into a small place, but keep them on the side of the computer, and away from the back panel.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

I hope Apple never releases a laptop with the ports on the back, like those drawings show.

One of the things I like about my iBook is that I can press it up against the cubicle wall on my desk without fear of pinching any cables.

An ultra portable will most likely be lying in your lap or very close to you while placed on a table, and will not even be close to the wall thanks to it's small footprint.

At home or at the office you will most likely be using another computer as your workstation or hooking the ultra portable up with a bigger screen, keyboard and proper mouse. With that being said cables won't be a problem with an ultra portable. Most of the time it won't even be connected to anything at all. The main point of an ultra portable is freedom. They are small and light in order to be used on the go.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    imagine the new imac keyboard with a screen attached via a hinge. that thin...
  • Reply 26 of 42
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    seems like an evolution of the design of the back of the pismo:

Quote:

(has been done - cf pismo above!)

as someone who has used an iBook g4, PB G4 and currently (still) has a pismo, i definitely prefer the ports on the back. it may be slightly less convenient to get to get to in the first/last instance (plugging/unplugging) but i can't stand having wires coming out the side of the computer - a) it interferes with mouse usage, and b) looks like a dog's breakfast - mouse, network/ethernet, at least one often 2 firewire cables, audio out to speakers or headphones and so forth.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Looks messy. Why not just have an external, multiport, induction-powered gizmo which converts to a Gbps highly localised (<1 metre) wireless protocol. This would mean the ultraportable's design or reliability wouldn't be compromised and, with the proliferation of wirelessly connected devices, it would ultimately become redundant.

They could start with an iPod dongle (with 802.11n/g support) that'd get the ball rolling.

McD
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

They won't be in the back if it's a tablet, they'll be on the side.

I believe those pictures are to make sure everybody's expecting a laptop while they're working on a sensitive screened ultra thin tablet, probably slightly reminicent of the iPhone. If this is the case, though, I don't know how the keyboard (even a virtual one like on the iPhone) won't spoil the size of the screen.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member

Didn't the Apple Duo have an all in one connector on the back? Doesn't really seem like anything new.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    13 inches is not ultra portable.

If i'm gonna go and buy a 13 inch laptop, i'll get one with all the extras thanks.

8-10 inches is ultra-portable.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

'Collapsible connection receptacle'??

Am I the only one that thinks that sounds a little... y'know... *funny*?

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more?

No one else? Ooooookay...

It's time for your medicine. Drink up!
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Looks messy. Why not just have an external, multiport, induction-powered gizmo which converts to a Gbps highly localised (<1 metre) wireless protocol. This would mean the ultraportable's design or reliability wouldn't be compromised and, with the proliferation of wirelessly connected devices, it would ultimately become redundant.

They could start with an iPod dongle (with 802.11n/g support) that'd get the ball rolling.

McD

What are you talking about?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    i want a light machine that runs OSX. period.

i don't care what plugs it has

i don't care if it doesn't have an optical drive

i don't care if it is 13" or 12" or 10" screen..

just lighter!!!
  • Reply 34 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

i want a light machine that runs OSX. period.

i don't care what plugs it has

i don't care if it doesn't have an optical drive

i don't care if it is 13" or 12" or 10" screen..

just lighter!!!

iPhone.

• Reply 35 of 42
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    When are they going to put in the updated HDMI?

It is the tallest port on the Macs it comes with, except for ethernet. That too needs to be smaller! Yikes, things are going to get tiny.

I wish there was one port, like the new shuffle uses, that all the cabled technology in the world could use. Then you could just have 5 or so of those tiny holes to deal with.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I am sure Apple will deliver a stunningly thin laptop. But screen-size and the need to play DVDs are an absolute must. I would rather have an extra 4mm of thickness and an in-built DVD player than a razor-thin machine with an attachable player. The first Sony VAIOs had a separate drive and these were a pain. Whatever Apple decides, I think this machine could be as big as the iPhone. Nobody really gets just how significant NAND-Flash drives are.

So buy a MacBook. This product is (potentially) aimed at people who don’t need to play DVDs. Remember Jobs’ recent keynote, in which he downplayed the significance of the DVD. He clearly wants to move on from optical media, though he’s ahead of his time.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

So buy a MacBook. This product is (potentially) aimed at people who don?t need to play DVDs. Remember Jobs? recent keynote, in which he downplayed the significance of the DVD. He clearly wants to move on from optical media, though he?s ahead of his time.

"Ahead of his time," that's rubbish. I've written about moving on from rotating optical media since 2003. It's large, scratch prone, and slow.

-Clive
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Guys, guys, guys!

There is NO product!!!

No one can say what this product is aimed at, when we don't know what, if anything, Apple is doing.

We've been discussing an Apple ultra-portable for at least two years now.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Guys, guys, guys!

There is NO product!!!

No one can say what this product is aimed at, when we don't know what, if anything, Apple is doing.

We've been discussing an Apple ultra-portable for at least two years now.

You can't get any more ultra-portable then not existing. Dang, Apple thinks of everything!
  • Reply 40 of 42
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Why are ultra-portables called ultra-portables? It's not as if portables could be any more portable. Something is portable or it's not. No one ever questions the portability of a laptop: "yeah, it's portable, but what if it were really portable? Instead of just bringing it from here to there, this one can be ultra carried from here to there?!"

By ultra-portable, they mean really small. Why not call it that?

- Computer

- Laptop computer

- Really small computer

- iPhone.

It's a wierd irony that computers are forward-looking, but their names are backward-looking.

Even the name "computer" is a legacy from the past when computers were used primarily to... compute.