Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.11, iWeb, Woz, giant Apple logo

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week seeded new builds of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update and also offered iLife '08 owners a small fix for iWeb 2.0. Meanwhile, we've got photos of workers hoisting a giant Apple logo in Glasgow. And it appears Woz has made a new friend.

Apple continues to plug away at Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, which is widely expected to be amongst the final updates to the company's "Tiger" operating system before all focus shifts to "Leopard."

The latest builds -- 8S144 (for PowerPC Macs) and 8S2144 (for Intel Macs) -- address preexisting issues with CoreAudio and m4a files and WebCore Editing, among other things.

Developers say Mac OS X 10.4.11 now includes over two-dozen fixes to the current version of Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4.10. The latest builds are also nearly rid of all known issues, they add.

Apple began widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update at the top of the month, asking developers to test the release across the board.

iWeb 2.0.1

On Thursday, Apple released an iWeb 2.0.1 update for iLife '08 owners which addresses issues with upgrading and publishing iWeb 1.x websites.

Some iLife '08 owners who had begun updating their iWeb 1.x websites with the just-released iWeb 2.0 software reported that the new version mangled their layouts.

The iWeb 2.0.1 update is available only via Apple's Software Update mechanism at this time.

Woz dating Kathy Griffin

Well, it appears Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and comedian Kathy Griffin are now an item. ContactMusic.com is reporting that the two met

after Woz watched one of Griffin's stand-up shows last month. They're now dating.

Hoisting a massive Apple logo

AppleInsider reader Alasdair Stewart happened to be waiting for a friend outside Apple's future Glasgow retail store on Buchanan street when he noticed a gigantic Apple logo appear.

Given that it was a chance occurrence, he had only his cell phone cam at his disposal. Still, he managed to capture some decent shots of the 4-foot illuminated emblem being hoisted between two stone columns flanking the building's entrance.

The design of logo appears to be similar, if not identical, to the one used inside the glass cube at Apple's subterranean retail store in Midtown Manhattan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple continues to plug away at Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, which is widely expected to be amongst the final updates to the company's "Tiger" operating system before all focus shifts to "Leopard."

Developers say Mac OS X 10.4.11 now includes over two-dozen fixes to the current version of Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4.10. The latest builds are also nearly rid of all known issues, they add.

Let's hope they've sorted the graphics drivers *this* time round.

This site says:

"The two builds for Intel (8S2138) and PPC (8S138) have been released and they are said to include over 60 system enhancements.

Some of the components said to be worked on are as follows; AirPort drivers, Apple Storage drivers, audio codecs, CoreAudio, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, CoreTypes, CoreVideo, Dock, FileManager, FlashPlugin, Installer, Networking, PDFKit, QuickDraw, Safari, SystemSoundServer, and WebKit.

The update is also said to fix bugs with the following; CoreAudio when decoding iTunes Plus files, networking with Cisco VPN, enabling/disabling Bluetooth on Macs, and CoreAudio under Safari."
  • Reply 2 of 57
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I'm so glad I'm not famous. The endless "look he ate a cheeseburger - with relish!!" and the paparazzi (Look! A picture of him picking his nose!!) would drive me insane.

I hope Woz figures out a way to turn his relationship with Ms. Griffin into a prank on the press.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    " Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, which is widely expected to be amongst the final updates to the company's "Tiger" operating system before all focus shifts to "Leopard.""

really!?!?!

you mean that since it's August and 10.5 comes out in October it's expected that a forthcoming update might be among the last updates that could come out before the 10.5 release? damn...HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT!?!?!

• Reply 4 of 57
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Why the deviation on the Glasgow facade. Why aren?t they smoothing things out and clading stainless?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Woz and Kathy Griffin? I sense a new reality show.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Quote:

The iWeb 2.0.1 update is available only via Apple's Software Update mechanism at this time.

Actually, the update is available for direct download here.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Slow news day?
  • Reply 8 of 57
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Why the deviation on the Glasgow facade. Why aren?t they smoothing things out and clading stainless?

What?

Firstly that building is more than likely listed, and thus you can't do modifications of that level to it, and what's with this "clading [sic] stainless"? The Regent Street store isn't clad, indeed it's almost impossible to see it, I walked up and down that road before I found it - a couple of small flags with Apple logos being the only clue.

And I read the article title as including iWoz...
  • Reply 9 of 57
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    I can't help but wonder if these three non-events aren't somehow connected behind the scenes, through a tangled series of unknown factors . . .
  • Reply 10 of 57
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

I can't help but wonder if these three non-events aren't somehow connected behind the scenes, through a tangled series of unknown factors . . .

by god, you're right! signs of a minitower soon for sure!
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:

Woz dating Kathy Griffin

Well, it appears Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and comedian Kathy Griffin are now an item. ContactMusic.com is reporting that the two met

after Woz watched one of Griffin's stand-up shows last month. They're now dating.

This officially brings the number of people who like Kathy Griffin up to two.

Quote:

Hoisting a massive Apple logo

[...]

The design of logo appears to be similar, if not identical, to the one used inside the glass cube at Apple's subterranean retail store in Midtown Manhattan.

And this is surprising to whom, exactly?

-Clive
  • Reply 12 of 57
    steste Posts: 119member
    Will locals recognise it, though? Weegees don't eat fruit, do they? Now if it was a fried Mars Bar ....
  • Reply 13 of 57
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Yes, if you take the number of product released per year counting updates and combine it with the size of the largest apple logo, then divide that by the number of features vista stole from osx and subract the number of people that ever bought a flower imac, you get the number of times steve jobs will let down people on this forum in the years to come.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Why ruin such a nice stone face? I mean, glass, steel and wood are great and all. But like the Regent Street store, there are just some things you should leave alone.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Anyone know what "WebCore Editing" means, exactly?
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Yes, if you take the number of product released per year counting updates and combine it with the size of the largest apple logo, then divide that by the number of features vista stole from osx and subract the number of people that ever bought a flower imac, you get the number of times steve jobs will let down people on this forum in the years to come.

Good thing that wouldn't be a negative number...

If you're going to make up a fake equation, at least get it so it would almost make sense.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    so when exactly is the glasgow store opening?
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

" Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update, which is widely expected to be amongst the final updates to the company's "Tiger" operating system before all focus shifts to "Leopard.""

really!?!?!

you mean that since it's August and 10.5 comes out in October it's expected that a forthcoming update might be among the last updates that could come out before the 10.5 release? damn...HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT!?!?!

The fact that 10.5 is coming out soon should have little immediate bearing on fixes/improvements to 10.4? After all, there is a large installed base of 10.4 out there, and not everyone is going to switch over to 10.5 en masse as soon as it comes out. In other words, if there are issues with 10.4 that require fixes, it is not surprising that Apple should continue to provide them.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:

Woz dating comedian Kathy Griffin

Well done WoZ! She's actually 10 years younger than him, and I guess she can also make him laugh .

I know SJ is happily married but I was just wondering!

''The equivalent of Steve Wozniak dating Kathy Griffin, would be Steve Jobs dating. . . . . ."
  • Reply 20 of 57
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

''The equivalent of Steve Wozniak dating Kathy Griffin, would be Steve Jobs dating. . . . . ."

Chelsea Handler?