Games - Mac vs PC vs Console

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been out of the gaming loop for quite a while but I may get back into it with titles such as Need for Speed and Tiger Woods. Of course I will get other titles as they interest me. How does the performance on a game console compare with what I will find on the Mac?

I will be picking up one of the new 20" 2.4ghz Imacs and have read the discussions on how their game performance may or may not be lacking. Does a PC configured for gaming hold a big advantage over a console as well as the Imac? With the price savings over the previous Imac models I figure I have a little left over for a console if I need it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rs76 View Post

How does the performance on a game console compare with what I will find on the Mac?

It depends which console. The XBox360 and PS3 will both be a fair bit faster than an iMac, not least because the games are heavily optimized for both. An iMac will be faster than a PS2 though as the GMA is almost on a par with that. I'd say that it will be on the same order as an original XBox or the Wii.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rs76 View Post

Does a PC configured for gaming hold a big advantage over a console as well as the Imac?

PCs tend to have upgradable GPUs so you can walk into a local store and pick up a cheap upgrade. Running Windows for games is way better than OS X at the moment. PC gaming is better than a console in some ways because you can cheat a lot more easily - I'm a cheater so I like to be able to easily get past a game without the frustration. I simply can't play FPS games on a console either and I like that genre most. The keyboard and mouse is great for this, though you can supposedly use this setup with some of the consoles now.

I like the console because you can trade games (my local games shop doesn't trade PC games) but then the games are way more expensive now. The exact same game on a console can be £40 but just £10 for the PC version. Console games don't have long tedious installation procedures though and have some better exclusive games.

They both have advantages and disadvantages. With a keyboard and mouse setup, I'd probably take the console but then I'd still be missing the ability to cheat/add mods and get low priced games. I don't think there is an ideal gaming platform yet so I'd say middle iMac + PS3/XBox360 is a good choice.

Apple could easily rectify this situation but blatantly choose not to. Their handful of standardized models comes close to the console setup in that support is easy. Now that they are on Intel at 10.4.8, they can go all out with optimization like multi-threaded OpenGL and SSE3 and still be compatible with all Intel Macs. Their install procedure would be very easy (drag and drop) so that's one up on Windows and their system is better for prolonged gaming due to better memory handling.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Apple could easily rectify this situation but blatantly choose not to. Their handful of standardized models comes close to the console setup in that support is easy. Now that they are on Intel at 10.4.8, they can go all out with optimization like multi-threaded OpenGL and SSE3 and still be compatible with all Intel Macs. Their install procedure would be very easy (drag and drop) so that's one up on Windows and their system is better for prolonged gaming due to better memory handling.

I don't see how Apple could easily rectify the situation. I can see how they could rectify the situation, but only by starting their own game development wing, which I wouldn't call easy. Otherwise they're in the same boat they're in now, which is trying to court game developers and convince them the Mac audience is worth the effort.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rs76rs76 Posts: 2member
    I don't think I'll be starting out with any FPS games so I don't think that will be an issue. It sounds like my original idea of taking a wait and see attitude on the Mac games and think about a PS3 for Christmas might work for me. The middle line Imac should suit me for my Photoshop work.

The last time I used a Mac for gaming (89?) they were fun and well designed for their period. I think the slow, steady mantra of Windows PC's being better for gaming may have consolidated the game designers around the Windows platform. Apple did seem to almost give up by the end of the 90's.

Apple should be fighting to get a piece of that action back. Just like they a trying to make slow, steady progress in the cellphone and PC industry they should be trying to bring over a few gamers. Even if you need to boot under Windows they should offer some CPU and graphics upgrades to please the gaming crowd.

Thank you for your insight.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Probably the best way to do this is to get a console and a mac. You'll probably have the mac anyway, and the mac can run both mac os and windows. This will be OK for playing your basic PC games, and it doesn't really cost you anything because, as I said, you'll have one anyway.

Consoles are just great for games, though. Unless you're part of a small minority of the video game community, the console games are the ones you want to play, and the console ergonomics suit you better. Now, consoles have great online features too. They are fine pieces of technology. I have a soft spot for the PS3, but the 360 isn't so bad. The way I see it, the extra $100 or whatever you'll spend on the PS3 is worth it in the long run. Since it's Linux-based and there are free dev tools, in two years it will have a vast library of free 3rd party applications that will provide all sorts of cool, media center functionality. The 360 will not.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Unless you're part of a small minority of the video game community, the console games are the ones you want to play,

nice joke

• Reply 6 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    PS3..
  • Reply 7 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

nice joke

If you're so certain of yourself, check sales figures. The bulk of the market is in console games and PC games that run on "casual" hardware, such as "The Sims". People who need a PC with the latest video card just to stay competitive are, indeed, a small minority.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

If you're so certain of yourself, check sales figures. The bulk of the market is in console games and PC games that run on "casual" hardware, such as "The Sims". People who need a PC with the latest video card just to stay competitive are, indeed, a small minority.

i actually wasnt refering to the market at all but rather my tastes. I found it funny how you presume that everyone wants to play a console when some of the most active and devoted games use their computers.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er, he did specifically say 'a small minority', not that nobody wanted to. Don't worry, you weren't overlooked.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

i actually wasnt refering to the market at all but rather my tastes. I found it funny how you presume that everyone wants to play a console when some of the most active and devoted games use their computers.

As mentioned, I did say "small minority." Even if they are the most active, they don't buy multiple copies of the same game, which would be required to make them more relevant in sales figures. Really, if grandiose "hardcore" games are your thing, then get a PC with the components you want. But if that's who you are, you already knew that.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Sony is offering a $150 rebate on the PS3 if you sign up for their credit card online. You also get 12 months of no interest, as well as five free Blu-ray Discs.