Solution for needed Exchange Support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK...we all know what a pain in the behind it is to go to Classic just for Outlook. Saying that there really isn't another integrated mail/diary/contact app that ties with a server like it. I've supported Exchange (and I HATE it as a result) but the client is good.

However now iCal is coming, Mail is beefed up in Jaguar and the new Address Book os a key component in the OS, I truly think Apples next big software announcement will be a Pro, Xserve based mail/iCal/Address Book server based on Rendevous but supporting Windows clients also.

What do you guys think?...

[quote] <hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    By supporting windows clients with such a product, were such a product to exist, wouldn't that imply that Apple would be writing Windows based software to interact with the server software on the Xserve?

Personally, I prefer having calendar/contacts/etc all in one app, so I just use Entourage. They should just dump Exchange support into Entourage and be done with it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    [quote]Originally posted by robster:

<strong>OK...we all know what a pain in the behind it is to go to Classic just for Outlook. Saying that there really isn't another integrated mail/diary/contact app that ties with a server like it. I've supported Exchange (and I HATE it as a result) but the client is good.

However now iCal is coming, Mail is beefed up in Jaguar and the new Address Book os a key component in the OS, I truly think Apples next big software announcement will be a Pro, Xserve based mail/iCal/Address Book server based on Rendevous but supporting Windows clients also.

What do you guys think?...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly my thought... I almost opened a new thread to discuss this but then I read your's.

The idea is brilliant. This - a PIM-Server like Exchange - might be the killer-app Apple needs to enter the corporate market. Being based on open standards and attractively priced (Exchange Server plus client licenses cost a fortune), offering company wide address books and calender matching.

They should make Windows client software, too, but keep a little edge in the Mac OS version.

Add to this what Rendez-vous can do - automaically updating your notebook's calender and addresses but also your software and anti-virus db every time you enter your office. Or better, once you leave office because while you're at work you could access the server without synching.

This would require enhanced security mechanisms.

It would be cool if they offered a solution for mobile devices to recognize what networking environment (office, home, moblie, airport hotspot etc.) and configure your apps accoringly.

Yummy thought!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by RolandG:

They should make Windows client software, too, but keep a little edge in the Mac OS version.

<hr></blockquote>

No, they should just make it compatable with windows software... Allow excahnge clients to connect to the programs as they currently do MS Exchange. This seems like an obvious thing to do, but it might bring some legal pressure from MS.

I bet Apple is already working on this.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>

No, they should just make it compatable with windows software... Allow excahnge clients to connect to the programs as they currently do MS Exchange. This seems like an obvious thing to do, but it might bring some legal pressure from MS.

Ând thereby supporting or even including MS' properitary protocols? Giving Microsoft the chance to further integrate all their components? I don't hope so.

They should develop server counterparts to their iApps (iCal, Adressbook, iSync) upon open standards as they already do, offer clients for Windows and servers for the Mac at attractive pricepoints.

That would put Apple software on Windows desktops and demonstrate the usability to Windows users.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by RolandG:

<strong>

Ând thereby supporting or even including MS' properitary protocols? Giving Microsoft the chance to further integrate all their components? I don't hope so.

The reason I say that, is so that it is easy for an IT department to incorporate the xServe, then anyone who wants can get a Mac and interoperate with all the other windoze PCs with zero problems.

If you ask people to change all their software, why would they? what possible benefit would they have?

Now including an xServe which can interoperate with Windoze, Linux, MacOS and the zillion other Unixes out there, that woud be something that and IT department would think about. If it supported all the companies current software it would be a no brainer.

This is, of course, my own opinion, I am merely disagreeing with you, not trying to start a flame war.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>

I bet Apple is already working on this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Neither do I.

I just think it would be clever on Apple's side to release client software for all OSes so IT people finally have a choice - I guess there will be quite some companies and governmental institutions (at least in Europe - Bush government even considers using .Net-/Passport-services for eGovernment and ID) because of the new licensing schemes.