Split Between iMac And MacBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone

My name is Rezdwan Hamid and I am from Singapore.

I am thinking of switching to a Mac and hope to do more research on it. Currently, I am split between the new iMac and the MacBook. The new iMac looks cool and I like the thought of having an all-in-one computer. At the same time, having a portable MacBook means I can use it anywhere in my house.

So, I need your advice as to whether it will be practical if I were to get the iMac and move it from room to room when I need to. Or should I get the MacBook even though I don't foresee bringing the MacBook outside of my house and I liked the idea of using a portable Mac whilst sitting in my bed.

All your comments will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    would having a big screen make a lot of difference to you? this is a major point of getting an imac
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

would having a big screen make a lot of difference to you? this is a major point of getting an imac

Hello jonnyboy

Thank you for your reply.

In fact having a big screen will make a difference to me but I am willing to trade it off for a portable Mac if moving the iMac around is not practical.

I have this idea of getting wireless keyboard and mouse should I get the iMac so there will be less clutter when I take it from one room to another.

I would really love to hear the comments of Mac users here who have actually tried what I plan to do should I get an iMac. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid
  • Reply 3 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezdwan View Post

Hello everyone

My name is Rezdwan Hamid and I am from Singapore.

I am thinking of switching to a Mac and hope to do more research on it. Currently, I am split between the new iMac and the MacBook. The new iMac looks cool and I like the thought of having an all-in-one computer. At the same time, having a portable MacBook means I can use it anywhere in my house.

So, I need your advice as to whether it will be practical if I were to get the iMac and move it from room to room when I need to. Or should I get the MacBook even though I don't foresee bringing the MacBook outside of my house and I liked the idea of using a portable Mac whilst sitting in my bed.

All your comments will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid

Macbooks also support external monitors. As well as external keyboards and mice. The costs will be competitive if you get a 20" monitor made by someone other than Apple. It's a good solution if you want or think you may want portability. The only advantage the iMac would have is dedicated graphics which are better for gaming.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Macbooks also support external monitors. As well as external keyboards and mice. The costs will be competitive if you get a 20" monitor made by someone other than Apple. It's a good solution if you want or think you may want portability. The only advantage the iMac would have is dedicated graphics which are better for gaming.

Hello backtomac

I've never really thought of getting an external monitor and connecting it to the MacBook. This is a great and simple solution.

I will consider your suggestion and I would also like to hear the comments from seasoned Mac users here regarding this. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Well it is all about personal preference. To me at least, moving an iMac from room to room doesnt make much sense. I have a MacBook myself, and i love it. If price matters to you, i would say get an iMac, because that way, you get the whole package for $1,199. Whereas if you get the MacBook, you're at $1,099 (but if you want to burn DVDs, you're at $1,299) before you get the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. The monitor, mouse and keyboard with the macbook setup is what i would really recommend. That way you get a nice big screen when you want, and a nice compact laptop when you want as well. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Hope you have success with you decision. (You'll love your Mac either way though)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The 20" iMac and the 24" iMac weigh 9.1 and 11.5 kg, respectively.

That's not that much, but it's not nothing. On the other hand, if you did have a wireless keyboard and mouse, it's not that much of a hassle to shut the machine down, unplug it, and then grab it by the big hole in the back of the stand.

I guess it depends on how often you think you'd be moving it. If it's once a week, or something, I think it would be totally doable. If you mean two or three times a day, I'd get the MacBook.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

Well it is all about personal preference. To me at least, moving an iMac from room to room doesnt make much sense. I have a MacBook myself, and i love it. If price matters to you, i would say get an iMac, because that way, you get the whole package for $1,199. Whereas if you get the MacBook, you're at $1,099 (but if you want to burn DVDs, you're at $1,299) before you get the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. The monitor, mouse and keyboard with the macbook setup is what i would really recommend. That way you get a nice big screen when you want, and a nice compact laptop when you want as well. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Hope you have success with you decision. (You'll love your Mac either way though)

Hello sthiede

I must say that you got me thinking about the price comparison thing. If I would ever like to get an iMac compared to a MacBook with an external screen, wireless mouse and keyboard and etc. I must make sure that the price difference is worth it.

I will keep you suggestions in mind. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The 20" iMac and the 24" iMac weigh 9.1 and 11.5 kg, respectively.

That's not that much, but it's not nothing. On the other hand, if you did have a wireless keyboard and mouse, it's not that much of a hassle to shut the machine down, unplug it, and then grab it by the big hole in the back of the stand.

I guess it depends on how often you think you'd be moving it. If it's once a week, or something, I think it would be totally doable. If you mean two or three times a day, I'd get the MacBook.

Hello addabox

In fact, I think I'll be moving around more often than once a week. More or less, a MacBook will be a better solution for me.

I will also keep your suggestions in mind. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid
  • Reply 8 of 14
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Hello sthiede

I must say that you got me thinking about the price comparison thing. If I would ever like to get an iMac compared to a MacBook with an external screen, wireless mouse and keyboard and etc. I must make sure that the price difference is worth it.

I will keep you suggestions in mind. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid

Hello addabox

In fact, I think I'll be moving around more often than once a week. More or less, a MacBook will be a better solution for me.

I will also keep your suggestions in mind. Thank you.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid

if you get the macbook i strongly recommend the external monitor. a large screen makes the OS X experience much better. and its just more comfortable for basically everything. I'd say the extra ~ $200 is worth it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This has to be the most polite poster on AppleInsider Forums in quite a while!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    poppetpoppet Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This has to be the most polite poster on AppleInsider Forums in quite a while!

I couldn't agree more to. So refreshing as some of the website I go to now don't use the sames manners as one would face to face.

We've just got a macbook a couple of months back. I have been looking at adding the imac to the collection. The reason we chose the macbook was because of portability although we don't take it out the house that much. (The only reason we are thinking of getting the imac is because hubby and I hate to share the macbook once the kids are down in the evening!)

Often in the day I have it sitting on the breakfast bar so I can whizz off a couple of emails if I want to or hook it up to the apple hi fi. If we want to watch movies in bed we take it to the bedroom and if we want to sit at a desk we can. Thats the way I use my computer. I have a couple of little children so to be stuck in one place with it limits the time I can type a quick couple of emails. I am really happy with front row for watching movies and hope to add something like eyetv.

I've looked at the new imac today and it looks pretty swish. You would be able to move it around quite easily but to stick a laptop on your lap is much easy than finding a suitable place for screen and keyboard etc.

Another point I would make is that I have never felt strained viewing the macbook. I was worried that I would need the imac because viewing for a long time ont he macbook might be a problem but it hasn't been.

Good luck with your decision. You won't be disappointed either way.

Poppet
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet View Post

I couldn't agree more to. So refreshing as some of the website I go to now don't use the sames manners as one would face to face.

We've just got a macbook a couple of months back. I have been looking at adding the imac to the collection. The reason we chose the macbook was because of portability although we don't take it out the house that much. (The only reason we are thinking of getting the imac is because hubby and I hate to share the macbook once the kids are down in the evening!)

Often in the day I have it sitting on the breakfast bar so I can whizz off a couple of emails if I want to or hook it up to the apple hi fi. If we want to watch movies in bed we take it to the bedroom and if we want to sit at a desk we can. Thats the way I use my computer. I have a couple of little children so to be stuck in one place with it limits the time I can type a quick couple of emails. I am really happy with front row for watching movies and hope to add something like eyetv.

I've looked at the new imac today and it looks pretty swish. You would be able to move it around quite easily but to stick a laptop on your lap is much easy than finding a suitable place for screen and keyboard etc.

Another point I would make is that I have never felt strained viewing the macbook. I was worried that I would need the imac because viewing for a long time ont he macbook might be a problem but it hasn't been.

Good luck with your decision. You won't be disappointed either way.

Poppet

Hello Poppet

Thank you very much for your reply.

Also, thank you for sharing your experiences on using a portable computer. Yes, I am the kind of person that is glued to the computer most of the time and having a MacBook or MacBook Pro will be the most appropriate solution for me. Tentatively, my next Mac will be a MacBook Pro.

I appreciate all the help.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid
  • Reply 12 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Hello Poppet

Thank you very much for your reply.

Also, thank you for sharing your experiences on using a portable computer. Yes, I am the kind of person that is glued to the computer most of the time and having a MacBook or MacBook Pro will be the most appropriate solution for me. Tentatively, my next Mac will be a MacBook Pro.

I appreciate all the help.

Regards,

Rezdwan Hamid

Yes, MacBookPro 15" with LED backlight and nVidia8600M GT will be nice.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No question, get the iMac
  • Reply 14 of 14
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    In my Mac ownership experience (vast) it's almost always more beneficial to use a great computer in one place than it is to use a good computer in multiple places. I would only get a laptop Mac if portability were required, or if you just really like sitting in bed or on the sofa and web browsing or blogging.

I base this on ownership of nearly every Mac portable save the first one. (PB 140, 145, 170, 180, 180C, Duo 210, Duo 230, iBook 500MHz, PB G4 12" Al, and currently, MBP 15" 2.33)

I also own lots of desktop Macs: 3 PM G5s, a G4 D800 QuickSilver, and a G4 D500. When I'm at home, I'm almost exclusively on the G5 D2GHz rather than on the much newer MBP. (Got a 20" and 23" Cinema attached, gobs of RAM, and mucho disk.

I've had Radius, PowerTowerPro, and nearly every model Mac CPU all the way back to my first Mac Plus (which was a "portable" of sorts; I used to tote it along with me to work as a night dispatcher at college, and used it to write a paper for my Masters on a comparison of PageMaker 1.0 and Ready Set Go!)

In almost every case, users end up wanting more power over more portability. I can't count how many people begged for a laptop at work, and then soon after started leaving it on their desk becasue an 8 lb. block (don't forget the bag and accessories!) really isn't all that much fun to drag around.

Given the price differential and performance, the new iMacs offers a lot more computer than even the latest MacBook. However, if you're a student who needs to carry it to class, or want to hang out at wireless hotspots with a computer, obviously the laptop is what's going to make you happiest.