iPhone Interface Basis for New Apple/AT&T Telephones

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After opting to use my iPhone instead of my office phone to call a contact simply because it was so easy to pull up the contact and single-click the phone number to bring up the call, I started thinking that it makes sense to port the iPhone interface over to land-based handsets. It's just so easy and convenient to use.

I can see it ported to home land-based telephones branded Apple & AT&T. The device would have all the features that the iPhone has, such as visual voicemail, iCal and Address Book integration, and the ability to wirelessly sync from your home computer. It might even have a Notes Ap, Weather Widget and Stocks... why not?

You could even have little contact pictures come up, and you would get instant notification when a call coming in was someone you wanted to talk to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    If they did, they would need to make it in the 'iPhone nano' class. Who would want to painfully get on the internet on a phone when they could go 30 feet away and use a real keyboard and a large screen? Yes visual voicemail, no iCal, yes addressbook, yes wirelessly syncing. Again, why would you need a calendar on your phone when it is on your computer just a little ways away? Widgets and apps? not necessary for the same reason.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution View Post

I can see it ported to home land-based telephones branded Apple & AT&T.

I know I may just be a cat, but I don't see this happening. Evvvvvvver.

People are generally migrating from land lines to cell phones, and for the iPhone, the most forward looking phone introduced in the last 5 minutes to grow a curly little cord and permanently anchor itself into the wall... Nevvvvvver ever ever.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I know I may just be a cat, but I don't see this happening. Evvvvvvver.

People are generally migrating from land lines to cell phones, and for the iPhone, the most forward looking phone introduced in the last 5 minutes to grow a curly little cord and permanently anchor itself into the wall... Nevvvvvver ever ever.

I disagree. I don't have a cell phone and may not ever have one. Yet, I would like a cordless phone that is easier to use than the Panasonics I have.

• Reply 4 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmm. Maybe a 'stripped down' iPhone - remove the cell capability, make it a bit more hefty in the hand, and voila, a home VOIP unit. Continually synced with the Mac, uses WiFi to the Mac to do VOIP calls...

I can't see it happening, but it's an interesting idea.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    A lot of people (including me) uses a wireless phone system in the house, with an old plug in in a drawer in case we loose power. I can see ATT contracting Apple to design a "better wireless" phone, or Apple just doing themselves so they can sell them anywhere they want.

Porsche does designs under contract and I see no reason why Apple can't do the same. I believe, however, that they would prefer to do it themselves under their consumer electronics banner. The only issue I see is visual voicemail, which would need to be incorporated into phone systems in order for it to work. ATT/SWB has the lead on that, but would probably be happy to license the technology.

Overall it would be easier than the iPhone to develop, cost less (ensuring higher sales levels) and be a profitable product for Apple, which is really counts in the consumer electronics field.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tectontecton Posts: 31member
    I think the market for home phones is shrinking, and not very profitable.

They probably won't get into it for that reason alone.

Plus, by not making landlines you are forced to buy the superior iphone or use the bigger and better ichat. Video calls are the way to go. eventually we will see another camera on the front of the iphone so we can just look and talk to people without the typing.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    A land line iPhone?

It's like wondering...

Gee, I really like Apple's new keyboard! Wonder when they'll come out with a typewriter version of it?!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

A land line iPhone?

No. A cordless, land line phone that has "some" of the features of iPhone. No camera or music player are needed. Don't need internet access either.

• Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

No. A cordless, land line phone that has "some" of the features of iPhone. No camera or music player are needed. Don't need internet access either.

Oh OK! I was thinking curly little cord tethering it to wall. OK.

Still, I think it would be too confusing, for people, Apple, and cats.

On one hand, there's Apple, trying to establish this new creature called iPhone. A non-cell version would dilute massive branding efforts.

On the other hand, there's people, who would get confused and bring the non-cell version away from the home and expect it to work just like the cell version. Imagine, for example, an iPod that worked for jazz music but not classical.

Then on the final and third hand, there's cats.

There you go. Three good reasons.

• Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

There you go. Three good reasons.

It does not have to look like the iPhone, and probably shouldn't. The Mac Mini does not look like the iMac. That takes care of reasons 1 and 2. What's cats?

• Reply 11 of 16
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:

Isn't it called something like "wifi" or "bluetooth"? May be need walki-talki radio capability serve as rescure beacon too (I got 2 walki-talki on hand after experience that all the cell phones stop working during blackout). kidding on the side, two SIM cards are needed for business users. watching my marketing rep in asia drove the car on highway with one hand, while use the other to install SIM card on cell phone (make personal phone calls using company phone) was not for the fainted heart.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

Isn't it called something like "wifi" or "bluetooth"?

Gee, doesn't anyone here use a cordless phone? Ours is 5.8 GHz and has a range of about 50 feet or so. It's not WiFi or Bluetooth.

I'd like one with an iPhone like contact list, and the touch screen, rather than buttons and the wheel-like-thing on my Panasonic. It could be much bigger than the iPhone because it's not carried around all over. It stays it the house. A belt clip, for using it with a head set. That way you can walk around the house hands free while you converse with someone. This is especially useful when working on a project and conversing with a partner or instructor.

Anyway, about the same capabilities as my Panasonic, but the nice touch screen of an iPhone, and the intuitive ease of use. Heavier and bigger are a plus, for me personally. Battery life need not be over 1 or 2 hours. It sits on the base station except while in use. You might get several rapid fire calls in a row, but 1 to 2 hours should be enough.

• Reply 13 of 16
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:

Gee, doesn't anyone here use a cordless phone? Ours is 5.8 GHz and has a range of about 50 feet or so. It's not WiFi or Bluetooth.

I'd like one with an iPhone like contact list, and the touch screen, rather than buttons and the wheel-like-thing on my Panasonic. It could be much bigger than the iPhone because it's not carried around all over. It stays it the house. A belt clip, for using it with a head set. That way you can walk around the house hands free while you converse with someone. This is especially useful when working on a project and conversing with a partner or instructor.

Anyway, about the same capabilities as my Panasonic, but the nice touch screen of an iPhone, and the intuitive ease of use. Heavier and bigger are a plus, for me personally. Battery life need not be over 1 or 2 hours. It sits on the base station except while in use. You might get several rapid fire calls in a row, but 1 to 2 hours should be enough.

you might need a base station... something like strip down mini with wifi ... use standard iphone as wifi or bluetooth would do the trick. It might fit in apple's home integration electronic plan (Can't pick the brain of Jobs... might have to ask faked Jobs ;-).. should be easy to get it working yourself if you like to spend few hours with $.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

you might need a base station... something like strip down mini with wifi ... use standard iphone as wifi or bluetooth would do the trick.

I apologize, but I cannot understand what you are telling me. To me, it seems you are unfamiliar with the ordinary cordless telephone.

\
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

What's cats?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat

But that's neither here nor there.

A non-cell iPhone is something Apple would not do. The prominence of Cell in the iPhone makes it impossible to remove. It's like speculating that Apple will make a paper towel holder in the shape of an iPhone - it won't happen. The iPhone is all about moving the bar forward, not backward. It doesn't make sense to substitute a more dated phone technology for cell. It doesn't make sense on around 17 levels. And, of course, cats.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

A non-cell iPhone is something Apple would not do. . . . It doesn't make sense to substitute a more dated phone technology for cell.

Apple makes the Mac Pro, which may represent some of the most advanced technology. Apple also make the Mac Mini. Apple is not substituting the technology within the Mac Mini for that in the Mac Pro. These are two distinctly different products and markets. So it is with a cordless phone and the iPhone.