New Keyboard uses-Likes and Dislikes

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got a new Apple wired keyboard, and I was thinking what you all thought about it. I do like the fact that we have new keys that are dedicated to whatever we desire. The dislike is the controls that are not any longer stand-alones for the volume. The thing that I am wondering the most is does it hurt to type on? What's your guys and gals takes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I like it. My old white keyboard looks grungy and you can see bits of stuff that have fallen between the keys. This Keyboard should wear better over the years.

I find that the keys are "punchy" and well spaced out. So far in no way does it hurt to type on although I'm not ever writing a novel in what I do.

The usb ports are tucked away. My usb drive fits well but I wonder if some other types might have trouble connecting via the keyboard.

Now if I could just get use to the Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

I got a new Apple wired keyboard, and I was thinking what you all thought about it. I do like the fact that we have new keys that are dedicated to whatever we desire. The dislike is the controls that are not any longer stand-alones for the volume. The thing that I am wondering the most is does it hurt to type on? What's your guys and gals takes?

I haven't had a chance to do much with the new keyboard-- could you explain "the controls that are no longer stand alone for the volume" a little?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I only thing I don't like about this keyboard is that it's missing a power key
  • Reply 4 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I only thing I don't like about this keyboard is that it's missing a power key

Is it needed for starting the machine? Everything related to sleep, shutdown, restarting etc has its own shortcuts that use the eject key and modifiers.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    What I was saying with the keyboard thing, is that the old one had seperate keys that didn't require the command key to activate. The Eject, and volume controls were their own button, which made it quite useful. On the bright side, however is they made those keys optional F13-F19 which you can program to do whatever you want. I was also suprised at the 32 Mb file it took to update for the new keyboard. What the hell is 32 Mb for keyboard functions? They must of had to throw in some other stuff, but what?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

What I was saying with the keyboard thing, is that the old one had seperate keys that didn't require the command key to activate. The Eject, and volume controls were their own button, which made it quite useful. On the bright side, however is they made those keys optional F13-F19 which you can program to do whatever you want. I was also suprised at the 32 Mb file it took to update for the new keyboard. What the hell is 32 Mb for keyboard functions? They must of had to throw in some other stuff, but what?

Aha. Can you program to do what the old keys did? Like, so the icon matches the function and you don't have to press command.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

they made those keys optional F13-F19 which you can program to do whatever you want.

Now that is a welcome addition. How much can you customize them though? Can you add scripts to execute or predefined functions?

Quote:

I was also suprised at the 32 Mb file it took to update for the new keyboard. What the hell is 32 Mb for keyboard functions? They must of had to throw in some other stuff, but what?

Probably extra languages again. If each language only has 2-4MB, it can easily be a 32MB update.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I like the keyboard, how it looks, typing on it, the size of it. All good. I don't like the complete fubar they have made of the f keys and expose/dashboard/volume keys. Grrrr!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I love, absolutely love it! I have wired too, and I'm getting a wireless with my new Leopard iMac in October, or November, or January
  • Reply 10 of 14
    it feels nice, but i have a feeling it's really bad for your wrists. i already feel like i'm getting something in my right wrist. i may when trade it for an ergonomic keyboard
  • Reply 11 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Note that the wireless keyboard version will have a laptop-like layout, different to wired keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Note that the wireless keyboard version will have a laptop-like layout, different to wired keyboard.

I know, I have the internet too
  • Reply 13 of 14
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Like most other people commenting in this thread, I don't like the layout of the media keys and the extra F13-19 buttons.

Some other dislikes:

The centered '0' on the numeric keypad looks silly in my opinion.

The USB ports are difficult to get at and it can be a bit of a squeeze to fit certain memory sticks under the keyboard.

I would like the tilt to be at a slightly higher angle.

A palm rest would also be nice and more ergonomic.

What I do like:

The overall look of it - nowhere near as horrible as when I first saw the leaked pictures. The metal and plastic do go together pretty well.

Super thin and light! Yet at the same time it feels very solid and sturdy.

It sticks well to the desk and doesn't slide around as much as other keyboards I've used.

The buttons are nicely spaced out and have a nice feel to them despite the lack of vertical travel.

Nice big Ctrl, Alt and Command buttons - on my PowerBook G4 those buttons feel very cramped in comparison.

I think I kinda prefer the Apple Extended Keyboard 2 still...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Not having personal experience with either the new wireless or wired keyboard, I don't have an opinion.

However, I ran across an Office Depot ad today selling a Targus USB Ultra mini (numbers) keypad for $15. If someone needed a numbers keypad only on occasion, this might be an answer. I realize it's wired, but it could fill a gap between the wireless and ....