rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I think the matte black one could look something like this:

• Reply 2 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 3 of 42
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by http://gizmodo.com

Please excuse me while I throw up, that is so fucking ugly. Irish's 3G on the other hand (assuming he didn't finish the top and bottom by smoothing edges and possibly adding a bit on) would be very pleasing. The scroll wheel is a definite issue, I wonder how apple will go about with it.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    I've revised my mockup. I think it's more likely for the 3G nano to be 3 inches high and 2.4 inches wide to accommodate a 2.5" screen. Based on that, I came up with this:

Also shown is the side view.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    well done, it's getting there...

I'd just be scared to snap it
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Rolo's mockups are horrid. If they are anywhere near the mark, iPods may be on their way to jumping the shark.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

Rolo's mockups are horrid. If they are anywhere near the mark, iPods may be on their way to jumping the shark.

Do you think the current iPod is horrid? Imagine it 1 inch shorter and a lot thinner and lighter. Seems rather a good move to me. I'm just trying to make stuff that fits the rumors.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    I don't think shortening the device as much as illustrated would make ergonomical sense. The current length lets three fingers grip as the thumb is at a comfortable level to operate the clickwheel. Shortening it could make it far less comfortable to use with only one hand.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    The current nano is 3.5 inches high. Rumors suggest a new version that's 3 inches high. Taking off half an inch isn't going to hurt ergonomics one bit. The current nano is also 1.6 inches wide so increasing that to 2.2 or 2.4 inches would be fine since the current iPod is 2.4 inches wide.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to these rumors but if there is, at least you can get some idea of what it'll look like. Original rumor:

http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-colors-3425232
  • Reply 10 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post
    1. It's short & stocky

2. Larger screen

3. Plays Video

4. Comes in 5 colours

more info over @ gizmodo

Did you know iPod posts have their own iPod Forum here at AI?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I've revised my mockup. I think it's more likely for the 3G nano to be 3 inches high and 2.4 inches wide to accommodate a 2.5" screen. Based on that, I came up with this:

Also shown is the side view.

That's not really a Nano any more is it? It's just a shorter 5.5G iPod. What's the point in that?

The new one may be slightly shorter, but it won't be thinner, the components still have to fit inside!

If anything, it will end up looking more like the image Ireland posted:

• Reply 12 of 42
    Ok, so this pic is what I think the 3G nanos might look like. Yeah, I totally ripped off Ireland's pic (sorry!) and yes, my photoshop skills are at best solid crap. The screen's a little to the left, there'll probably be a new OS and nothing in the pic is to scale! But I think it'll look something like that. What do ya guys think?

• Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aetherius View Post

What do ya guys think?

I think it's ugly, and I think all the designs in this thread (bar mine of course) need to go back to the ugly factory. Personally I don't see what's wrong with my 2.5" widescreen, touch-screen 4 and 8GB designs. The real video iPod is going to be 3.5 - 4" multi-touch touch-screen with 60 - 120GB of storage anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aetherius View Post

Ok, so this pic is what I think the 3G nanos might look like. Yeah, I totally ripped off Ireland's pic (sorry!) and yes, my photoshop skills are at best solid crap. The screen's a little to the left, there'll probably be a new OS and nothing in the pic is to scale! But I think it'll look something like that. What do ya guys think?

That's the most realistic image yet. Although I don't see a need for the Nano to go all large screen and video. I just don't see the point of it. If you want that, get a regular iPod. There are loads of iPod Nano accessories for sporty people that would be rendered useless if they changed the form factor significantly.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

That's the most realistic image yet. Although I don't see a need for the Nano to go all large screen and video. I just don't see the point of it. If you want that, get a regular iPod. There are loads of iPod Nano accessories for sporty people that would be rendered useless if they changed the form factor significantly.

I agree with you 100%

This year the Nano isn't getting a much bigger screen neither is it going to get video support. The ones who want video and a bigger screen can just buy the slightly more expensive iPod video.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think it's ugly, and I think all the designs in this thread (bar mine of course) need to go back to the ugly factory. Personally I don't see what's wrong with my 2.5" widescreen, touch-screen 4 and 8GB designs. The real video iPod is going to be 3.5 - 4" multi-touch touch-screen with 60 - 120GB of storage anyway.

First, the new nanos are likely to use the new Samsung flash and double storage to 8GB and 16GB. Just as last years nanos used the then new Samsung flash and went to 4GB and 8GB.

Second, a touchscreen on the nano is unlikely from a cost constraint. The iPhone display is estimated to be $30-$60 (depending on which company is doing the teardown BOM analysis) compared to $5 on the current screen + $3 for the scroll wheel.

Third, simply truncating the nano makes it somewhat unwieldy. Not sure a fat Nano is better...might be better to widen it but leave it more or less the same current length if you really want video. I kinda like the Nano as is actually.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I kinda like the Nano as is actually.

So buy one now before they are all gone. I was thinking about 8 and 16GB flash too, but I don't think that will happen. 16GB flash is very expensive. It's not just double the price of the current price for 8GB, it's probably more like 3.5X the price. No, I really think they'll be 4 and 8GB again this year, they'll probably just drop the 2GB model.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

So buy one now before they are all gone. I was thinking about 8 and 16GB flash too, but I don't think that will happen. 16GB flash is very expensive. It's not just double the price of the current price for 8GB, it's probably more like 3.5X the price. No, I really think they'll be 4 and 8GB again this year, they'll probably just drop the 2GB model.

The new 51nm flash is said to be 60% more efficient production wise by Samsung. Toshiba also has a 56nm process...a half step behind Samsung.

Samsung has been in production since May and while some has been going into their 64GB SSD since June there's a fair number of chips sitting somewhere slated for someone.

It didn't go into the iPhone. There aren't that many users of the 64GB SSD. Unless you think Microsoft scarfed them up for the next Zune the Nano is the logical choice.

Especially since they aren't going to be 3.5x the price but more like 1.5x the price for Apple. Samsung isn't about to open the door for Toshiba to become the main supplier of NAND for Apple.

Vinea
  • Reply 19 of 42
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    My vote is for something close to Ireland's design although I could see the Nano only having a touch screen and not a multi-touch screen to keep the costs lower.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

I think it's ugly, and I think all the designs in this thread (bar mine of course) need to go back to the ugly factory.

Humility anyone?

I can see you getting a job at Apple's design department and working right next to Jonathan Ive.