Getting video OUT OF RealPlayer format

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a variety of video clips in RealPlayer's .rm format. I would very much like to get them out of this, and into ANYTHING ELSE. I have tried the usual open source tools like ffmpeg, as well as VisualHub (which is just a front-end for the ffmpeg engine); as well as Apple's Pro Tools, Sorenson Squeeze, and Episode Pro...

Between all of these, I am finding no joy. Most of them seem to offer conversion INTO .rm format via their Open Helix whatever, but I haven't found a single tool (commercial or open source), which will allow me to get crap OUT OF realplayer...

I cannot go back in time and re-obtain the original video clips in some other format, before the person who did all this converted them into RealPlayer (which probably seemed like a great idea in 1999 or something), and yes I do realize the final output quality will be crap and require a lot of cleanup to arrive at even mediocre ... BUT I need to work with what the client has dropped on me, and I'm at a loss here.

Does anyone know how to make RealPlayer LET GO, and what software I might use to convert video in .rm format to basically ANYTHING ELSE!

The only solution I can think of is playing the clips in RealPlayer, and physically re-capturing them using SnapZ Pro or something... Is there any other solution I am missing? It doesn't matter if the answer is free/open source, shareware, or some commercial app that costs $5,000, I'm not spending my money so I really don't care how much the software that does the conversion would cost.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

I have a variety of video clips in RealPlayer's .rm format. I would very much like to get them out of this, and into ANYTHING ELSE. I have tried the usual open source tools like ffmpeg, as well as VisualHub (which is just a front-end for the ffmpeg engine); as well as Apple's Pro Tools, Sorenson Squeeze, and Episode Pro...

Between all of these, I am finding no joy. Most of them seem to offer conversion INTO .rm format via their Open Helix whatever, but I haven't found a single tool (commercial or open source), which will allow me to get crap OUT OF realplayer...

I cannot go back in time and re-obtain the original video clips in some other format, before the person who did all this converted them into RealPlayer (which probably seemed like a great idea in 1999 or something), and yes I do realize the final output quality will be crap and require a lot of cleanup to arrive at even mediocre ... BUT I need to work with what the client has dropped on me, and I'm at a loss here.

Does anyone know how to make RealPlayer LET GO, and what software I might use to convert video in .rm format to basically ANYTHING ELSE!

The only solution I can think of is playing the clips in RealPlayer, and physically re-capturing them using SnapZ Pro or something... Is there any other solution I am missing? It doesn't matter if the answer is free/open source, shareware, or some commercial app that costs $5,000, I'm not spending my money so I really don't care how much the software that does the conversion would cost.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure Xilisoft Video Converter can help you.