Study: iPhone keypad less efficient than physical QWERTY keypads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    What a joke this survey is, especially when most user and press reports have stated that the iPhone's keyboard takes a little getting used to, but then becomes quite natural.

So what do the dweebs in the lab coats do? They build a survey based on people using the iPhone's keyboard for the very first time. Pure genius.

I am very fast with my iPhone keyboard--much faster than I would be on a plastic QWERTY keyboard. I've even stopped proof-reading my emails beforehand, since I ceased to find mistakes as I just blazed away...
  • Reply 22 of 98
    I have been riding my bicycle to work now for the past three years, but my boss wants me to get in earlier and bought me a motorcycle. But yesterday I got in later than usual because I had to walk with it. Does anyone know how to pedal this thing?
  • Reply 23 of 98
    "Specifically, participants did not think they could text message on the iPhone safely while driving."

OMG, what a tragedy!

Last time I "checked" (years ago)the fine was some 25? (30+$) when handling your cell phone in the car. That was not even for typing, just talking.

So what are they talking about "text message on" *anything* "safely"?!

(An whom are you sueing after crashing, Apple or BMW/Lexus/whatever? )

GH
  • Reply 24 of 98
    If you're working on any "Smartphone" to be your typewriter then you're doing something wrong with your productivity.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    Quote:

Specifically, participants did not think they could text message on the iPhone safely while driving.

I was under the impression that text messaging while driving was never safe.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    I think the funniest part about this article is the title....

"Sutdy: iPhone keypad less efficient than physical QWERTY keypads"

It's obvious this was posted to AI via iPhone.

-Clive
  • Reply 27 of 98
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hauer View Post

"Specifically, participants did not think they could text message on the iPhone safely while driving."

Oh good god!!!!

I missed that line.

I'm going to scream. Their sample was apparently drawn from the criminally stupid.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    People shouldn't text while driving.

One participant tried to use their fingernail to press the keys and couldn't.

What kind of bufoons devised this survey.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    I love my iPhone, and I'm definitely faster than my old phone's 3x4 key pad.

HOWEVER, the iPhone keyboard experience would be BETTER if Apple supported two keys pressed at the same time. Whenever I try to type quickly with two fingers, I inevitably don't get my finger off one key before my other finger presses the next key. On a regular computer keyboard, this is no problem, but on the iPhone, the second key is ignored.

The iPhone touchscreen supports multi-touch. The keyboard should also. THEN I'll type nearly as fast as I can on my computer.

--

Sent from my iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    lablab Posts: 10member
    What a stupid setup! This is properly called a "sutpy"

How about comparing long time users of both (all three) keyboard types? That's what you could call "information". Or - a "study"...
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Actually the study is completely valid as a basic usability study. You need to just realize it for what it is – a basic study.
    a) They found participants who were experienced at text messaging using the two standards input methods (QWERTY and alpla-numeric keypad)
    b) 20 participants are more than enough to identify broad issues (I’ll not quote the library of Nielsen, Norman, Krug, or other HCI professionals’ studies that prove this.)
    c) They gave users a practice period so that they could familiarize themselves to the general interface
    d) They used predefined messages across all tests
    e) They used a variety of message structures to account for the varying level of grammatical preference
    By the vitriol seen in some responses it’s clear that most posters are naturally skewed towards the Apple iPhone rather than being objective. Those responses are less valid than the study. Realize that:
    a) They are not saying the iPhone screen is bad in any way. Simply that, in the beginning at least, the flat, tactile-less nature of the iPhone’s QWERTY keyboard appears to be less effective than a standard tactile QWERTY keyboard that offer haptic feedback.
    b) They acknowledged that the iPhone includes user paradigms outside of today's experience that a user may or may not get used to over time (the magnifying glass and the “x”.)
    Limitations in the articles length are likely more suspect than the research. Also realize that no interface, especially one required to handle so many functions, is perfect for everyone. It couldn’t exist just based on the human condition.

The study is fine. The iPhone is a wonderful device. The study will not diminish the phone, but could lead to incremental improvements. (For example, perhaps Apple could add a single “knock” of the phone using the vibrate ability to represent a successful button press?)

Oh, and on a side note: NO ONE should be texting while driving. Frankly, penalties should be increased if it is proven the person was texting and they cause an auto accident.

Cheers.

*Added* Lastly, they should do a follow up study in one year to include some "experienced" iPhone users. It is too soon yet to have included them.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    This study has been thoroughly debunked.

http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2007...pad/index.html

AppleInsider should try to provide some context or perspective from other sources instead of just repackaging press releases or their credibility is no better than the single source in these single-source posts.

EDIT: Money quote from Salon: "People suck at Wii Tennis in the first minute they play it, too."
  • Reply 33 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To be frank, I didn't much like the iPhone's keyboard either. The thickness of the screen's glass is enough to cause visual distortion between the surface and the display. Although this "study" was small, I think they've hit the nail on the head. Nothing is more efficient than direct tactile feedback. Something this iteration of the iPhone can never offer.

tactile feedback.... I'm not sure which company it is, perhaps Alpine, but one manufacturer of high end car audio systems has a very nifty bit of technology in one of their in-car navigation systems. It uses a large LCD (well, ok, like 8 inches) and when you touch the display a small pulse of electricity (low voltage but enough to be felt) 'snaps' at the place where the toucb is recognized. I'm not sure if the pulse is between layers of the screen or the screen and the user, or what, but it's very very appealing. gives you the button feeling, letting you know when your touch has been recognized. If apple were able to license that.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. nummy.

I agree with many of the posts here. That study was absurdly flawed. In order to make it valid, they should have taken a larger sample size, and made sure that none of them had any experience on either kind of input device, touch screen or tiny button. All they really measured was the effects of switching, rather than overall usability. As many have pointed out, when you switch from chopsticks to a fork, naturally there will be a learning curve. hmm. that's not a very good analogy.

Paul
  • Reply 34 of 98
    Part of the recent Hyundai Sales Campaign

DUH!
  • Reply 35 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCI-Oh! View Post

Actually the study is completely valid as a basic usability study. You need to just realize it for what it is ? a basic study.

No, it's not. It measures switchability, not usability. Even an extended practice session can't compete with months or more experience with the tiny buttons.

It's like pitting a kungfu master up against someone who has taken two lessons.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Personally, the touch screen keypad on the iPhone has been a godsend for me--I'm a cancer patient who has experienced significant loss of sensation in my fingertips as a side effect of chemotherapy (it should all come back in approx two years, I'm told), and before I got an iPhone, text messaging was extremely difficult/awkward with my old Sony Ericsson because of the reliance on physical feedback. I'm not doing 50wpm or anything on the iPhone, but I'm a heck of a lot faster than with a tactile keypad--and, more importantly, I'm making a lot, lot fewer typos...
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macdartist View Post

I have been riding my bicycle to work now for the past three years, but my boss wants me to get in earlier and bought me a motorcycle. But yesterday I got in later than usual because I had to walk with it. Does anyone know how to pedal this thing?

LMAO brilliant!!!
  • Reply 38 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sutdy: iPhone keypad less efficient than physical QWERTY keypads

What's 'Sutdy:'? sb Study:.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    I think Apple should look into three options for the future.

1) The iPhone should "click" when you type like the iPod does when you scroll

2) A non-QWERTY layout for the keys such as Dvorak should be an option.

3) The current keyboard layout "appears" to have large gaps between the keys. Eliminate the gaps and make the buttons "appear" larger.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member
    Any consulting firm worth its salt would have used seasoned (sorry) QWERTY users and seasoned iPhone users and put them head to head.

Their claimed conclusion - that it takes time to learn - is right up front with Apple's iPhone info. They have proven what was already published.

And as for "User Centric said there were some "limited improvements in keyboard comfort as users progressed through the tasks on the iPhone."

All improvements are limited, so they stuck this in there as a verbal speed bump.

My god, what would unlimited improvements look like?